WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received an Apple Watch Sport as a gift (42mm space gray with black sport band). A couple of questions...

(1) Has anyone tried the Spigen watch case? Seems like it could be helpful in protecting the watch and giving it a little more sporty look.

(2) Any recommendations for 3rd-party bands?

·
7,403 Posts
Hi Kev, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new Apple Watch.

Although I am an Apple purist, I only tend to match my watch with Apple cases, Spigen does have a good reputation for their cases. Lunatic Epic is supposed to be a decent one too. Good options at Best Buy and Amazon.

As far as 3rd Party, are you looking leather, metal, or plastic?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kev, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new Apple Watch.

Although I am an Apple purist, I only tend to match my watch with Apple cases, Spigen does have a good reputation for their cases. Lunatic Epic is supposed to be a decent one too. Good options at Best Buy and Amazon.

As far as 3rd Party, are you looking leather, metal, or plastic?
Thanks, Doug. I guess in terms of bands, I'm thinking silicone/rubber, in case I don't like the sport band that the watch comes with. Maybe I'll like it and it becomes a moot point. In addition, I'd like both a Milanese strap and a leather strap to dress the watch up on occasion. And perhaps there are other options out there besides Apples bands, which seem to be a bit expensive.

On top of all of that, there's the question of whether or not to buy the Spigen case which protects the watch, though taking something away from its look perhaps.

·
7,403 Posts
Thanks, Doug. I guess in terms of bands, I'm thinking silicone/rubber, in case I don't like the sport band that the watch comes with. Maybe I'll like it and it becomes a moot point. In addition, I'd like both a Milanese strap and a leather strap to dress the watch up on occasion. And perhaps there are other options out there besides Apples bands, which seem to be a bit expensive.

On top of all of that, there's the question of whether or not to buy the Spigen case which protects the watch, though taking something away from its look perhaps.
I think the Sport band is the best option personally. Perhaps someone else can recommend another, but it is soft and durable. Better than the resin bands on my Seiko's and G-Shocks.

Space Grey is pretty versatile, you have good options available. Milanese aftermarket straps that are pretty comparable to Apple's can be found all over Amazon, the ones with the higher reviews are your best bet. The Leather options are all over the place. I personally like the Leather Loop for the infinite sizing options, and it looks great. Pad and Quill has some great leather options, and they are a high quality company. I also suggest checking out the Strap sales forum here for options too. There are some creative makers out there.

As far as a case, that all comes down to the abuse you think you will dish it. I tend to swap watches to my beater G-Shocks for work around the house, but I'll wear my Apple Watch around the office and exercise. I thought about getting one of those cases, but was nervous taking it in and out of the case might mark it up.

·
Registered
17,821 Posts
The only good reason to get some aftermarket sport-silicone-rubber-type bands is to get more colors for cheaper than Apple's price. Everything I read about silicone bands says they're easier to get dirty and are dust magnets, which silicone tends to do anyway. Whatever material Apple is calling "fluorastomer" has been my favorite synthetic watch band material yet.

Some of the ripoff... I mean, "homage"... aftermarket Milanese mesh loops have weaker magnets than others and are more prone to slippage. Some of them, too, have had problems with the mesh pulling out of the lug -- not the free end of the mesh with the magnet, but the end that's supposed to be soldered or welded into the lug itself. Might be better to just save on pizza n' beer for a few weeks and buy Apple's mesh loop.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Think for Milanese Loop, save up and get the original instead, you'll be a lot happier. Aftermarket band brands such as MoKo, are touted to have very nice and good sports bands and leather loops. In my honest opinion, it's still better to get the original Apple bands/straps/loops unless you get the original lugs and make your own strap.

I've also not tried on the Spigen AW cases but I nearly wanted to purchase one last time, but stopped as it doesn't really serve any purpose on my SS AW. Still prefer to use it as it is.

Reactions: kevtherev

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered a NATO band from Clockwork Synergy, as well as a leather loop from Amazon (both under $30). I'll probably just save up now for the Milanese from Apple. I love my mechanical watches, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what the AW can do.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
If you end up liking the AW quite a bit, you could consider saving up for the Link bracelet. Works for work and play, formal or informal.

I'll second not going for the copy sports bands on Amazon and elsewhere. The main issue is that they're made from silicon, which attracts dusts like crazy. Apple's material doesn't attract dust.

·
7,403 Posts
If you end up liking the AW quite a bit, you could consider saving up for the Link bracelet. Works for work and play, formal or informal.

I'll second not going for the copy sports bands on Amazon and elsewhere. The main issue is that they're made from silicon, which attracts dusts like crazy. Apple's material doesn't attract dust.
I second the suggestion for the Link Bracelet. It is very comfortable and looks damn good. That is one area where I would suggest OEM vs the knockoffs. Many complaints about the links stretching, and not close to the same. Apple knocked it out of the ballpark, but it is not cheap....you get what you pay for.

Reactions: kevtherev

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have one on the way, plan on wearing it on my right wrist as a fitness tracker and want to keep it still small ... is there any that are very low profile and rugged? or does the watch hold up on it's own??

·
7,403 Posts
I have one on the way, plan on wearing it on my right wrist as a fitness tracker and want to keep it still small ... is there any that are very low profile and rugged? or does the watch hold up on it's own??
I would say the thinnest you can get is a clear skin that you can find on Amazon. These watches are pretty durable though, the display is made of the same material as the iPhone unless you have the SS version which has Sapphire glass. But if you aren't doing manual labor and abusing the watch, you should be fine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've now been wearing my new AW for the last 24 hours and am really enjoying it. Perhaps it's because I didn't go in with super high expectations. I'm happy that it's a watch and that if notifies me of text messages and emails and phone calls. That's really all I was looking for. I'm also really enjoying the activity app more than I thought I would. Perhaps it's the competitive nature in me that wants to make sure I close those rings. In addition, the sport strap is much nicer than I thought it would be. I also picked up a NATO strap from Clockwork Synergy, which appears to be very well made. By the way, super fast shipping from Clockwork. Ordered Monday night...received Wednesday morning. Changing straps is unbelievably easy. I still hope to work my mechanicals into the rotation, but right now, I'm quite happy with the AW.

·
7,403 Posts
That's great! The scary thing is when you throw those mechanicals into the rotation you miss the Apple Watch. For those that approach the Apple Watch with an open mind, you find new things to enjoy about having it.

If you like the competitive area, you'll love the WatchOS update. You'll be able to compete directly with friends that have one, you'll be able to share yours, and see their rings.

If you go to Apples website, they have a bunch of tutorials. You'll learn even more things you didn't realize you could do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
The best one I found was on Etsy. It was around $80.00. With the carbon fiber case, it is my favorite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts