WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Zenith 2552 pc movement, mounted in what i believe is a Zenith pilot case. The movement is perfect and keeps time brilliantly. The case is however shoddy, and i know that the case and movement are a marriage. Its hence my long term goal to track down a decent case. I was wondering which cases were originally fitted with this movement. From snooping around the web, I think it was the sporto and the respirator. Is that correct? And were there any others? Thanks in advance.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,805 Posts
There were actually quite a range of watches fitted with a 2552 PC. Although it is a little unlikely, if the movement still has a serial number (Zenith stopped using them around the time yours was made), you could write to them and ask them to tell you which sort of watch it was originally in. If you suspect the dial to be original at least, post some pictures here and we might be able to help you.

Hartmut Richter

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely post some pictures tomorrow. Unfortunately the movement does not have a serial number though.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Taking photos of a watch is not easy! My discovery today. I'll post when I get hold of a better camera.

So some background on the project. I picked the watch up at a tiny flea market watch repairs store, run by a very sweet old Egyptian man without teeth, and minimal English. He immediately opened it up and drew my attention to the mismatch of case and the damage to the case-which impressed me. He offered it to me for a very good price though. I figured this was quite exciting-as I could have a very good looking automatic from one of my favourite Swiss names, and a long term project.

The movement is perfect, and keeps time brilliantly. The case and dial LOOKS good, but the side of the case has been modified to accommodate the movement. The tube on the side has been filed off, and the hole filed slightly up. Which is rather unfortunate. I will find a case without a movement, or a broken movement. As these movements are not numbered, and my watch is already a marriage, I don't think it is 'evil' to move the movement into another case.

In the interim, I am worried about the lack of seal around the crown. Obviously I'll keep it away from water, but dust concerns me. The watchmaker has offered to build up a tube just for the interim. But I think this is a waste (it will be quite pricey).

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,805 Posts
In the interim, I am worried about the lack of seal around the crown. Obviously I'll keep it away from water, but dust concerns me. The watchmaker has offered to build up a tube just for the interim. But I think this is a waste (it will be quite pricey).
If you will get a new case for it, it seems as if that is indeed a waste of time.:-d

It all sounds as if your case wasn't really a Zenith case. Otherwise, why would one needed to have filed around to make the movement fit?!

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
The Zenith prototype diver cases that get sold on Ebay every once in a while were built for 25x2 movements. Pretty nice cases with crown, bezel, and crystal. Last one I bought cost $65 USD delivered. The Ebay seller name is "silver-watch". You'll need a dial and hands, but there is some work being done to get these produced by WatchUSeek member, foxint.
I've been looking for a 25x2 movement to put in the case I've got for a while.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, that is helpful. I checked out ebay. I found those cases. I quite like that idea-they are basically new. It looks it. And you are even getting an original watch glass. It lists that all the other 25x2 movements will fit. But not the 2552. Can they basically be interchanged? Are they all the same dimensions?

I found some pictures online. Perhaps it is not a Zenith case. If it is, the first watch shown is definitely my case-the difference to all the similar Zeniths I saw is that groove between the lugs (thats what they are called right?) and the main case. The flat, indented area by the crown, and the shape of the lugs. The case back, is like a many sided octagon. (not the ones with the grooves in). The face looks like the second picture. Same black lines on the gold number marks. Same date window. Same hands. Same gold star. But it does not say 28800 or autosport on it, like the watch in the third picture. If my collegue at work remembers his digital camera, I'll put pictures me mine up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Thanks, that is helpful. I checked out ebay. I found those cases. I quite like that idea-they are basically new. It looks it. And you are even getting an original watch glass. It lists that all the other 25x2 movements will fit. But not the 2552. Can they basically be interchanged? Are they all the same dimensions?
The 2552PC should fit. the 25x2 family is basically the same movement with different beat frequencies and features. Here are the basic specs for your movement. Do a search in Ranfft on the other referenced movements and you'll see the basic dimensions are all the same.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! That is such a great reference site. I am quite excited about working my way through it properly. And I will pick up one of the new old stock cases available on Ebay. Thanks for all the help. I will post pictures to track the project.

Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts