WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across this:

Casio Announce G-Shock Premium Cordovan Gulfman | The Watch Hut

Seems that we have missed this announcement from the beginning of October. I can not find much about it. No information about availability and launch date. Seems to be a ghost UK release...:rodekaart

Cordovan Gulfman.JPG

Cordovan Gulfman2.JPG

I read somewhere that it was a £500 piece or about $808 so it aint cheap that is for sure!:rodekaart

I think this piece has a certain elegance but it is not my style so not for me... What do you guys think about it?:think:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Looks terrible in my opinion, G shocks do not belong on a leather strap or in a formal setting. Not to mention overpriced, for a just a bit more you can have the steel G shocks of the MT-G series, much much better looking.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Cordovan straps are known for their durability and comfort, at least from what I've read. I think leather looks better on traditional analog pieces, like a mechanical, however. These don't look too bad, but they seem off. Kind of like finding a body builder who's a regular in a book club. (nothing against body builders who love to read and share their passion for books). And one would be essentially be paying mostly for the strap, which sounds ridiculous to me. I'd never spend more money on a strap than a watch.

Digital and leather are no-go for me.

(I do like the strap alone. It would look great on one of my autos, without the G-shock cordovan imprinting).

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Leather is a refined kind of material and you need something with a similar aesthetic to go with it. Granted the GW-9110 is a beautiful watch, but using it seems a bit contradictory to me. The Gulfman is a watersport watch. It's not a good idea to go swimming with a leather band, even cordovan!

So yeah, some people own a Gulfman and don't use it on the water. They just like the large rugged look with titanium trim. Well, a leather band in this regard is OK. But for the price they are asking? Yikes! That's just bloody insane.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'd like to see how they're attaching these straps. If anyone really wants to do this, a normal cordovan nato strap, which you could pick up for $75 or so from makers in the strap forum, will work fine with the 5600 strap adapters.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
from design stand point: the bezel ring should be black

but i would wear it just for its weirdness/nerdy-ness even though leather always seems so off with Gshock

but dude, it's way too expensive

LOLz

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Leather strap on dive watches usually works quite well, Panerai is a great example.

But I haven't saw a good g-shock and leather combo yet... Suunto has few models that look nice with leather.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Beyond price or marketing I really love the idea to mix leather and digital. It's like the leather Nato straps which are more and more common. They are not made for swimming but the Steampunk approach is lovely.
Thank you for sharing this is a great initiative. Pricey as every limited edition but I would love to see other digital models with leather.

Hey, what about a Master of G named... the Leatherman ?... :-D

Cheers
nemo

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
^

Could be interesting. Maybe instead of a resin bezel, it's protected by a Cordovan leather shell. The appeal would be in watching the leather patina over time and with use.

Or maybe it'll smell funky after much use.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'd like to see how they're attaching these straps. If anyone really wants to do this, a normal cordovan nato strap, which you could pick up for $75 or so from makers in the strap forum, will work fine with the 5600 strap adapters.
Perhaps a solid screw pin akin to some protreks

·
Registered
554 Posts
So vile and rubbishy! I honestly wouldn't be seen dead with either of these abominations on my wrist. That wooden box in the picture looks like a splintery piece of junk as well!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Leather straps on divers I dont like but on G SHocks I really dont like.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts