WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago I bought the Casio GW5000-1JF.

I am located in central Mexico, approximately 175 miles northwest of Mexico City.

For most of the years that I have owned this watch it synched 99% of the time by leaving it on a window sill.

Starting in June of 2013 that all changed, and reception of WWVB all but ceased. Now I am lucky if the watch synchronizes once a month.

Has anyone else noticed any change in reception anywhere in North America in the past 5 months?

Does anyone have any advice on this problem?

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
You could have a new local interference...nearby wireless modem, cell tower, some radio frequency interference of some sort.

Ft. Collins seems consistent transmitting.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
I agree with YankeeExpress. I suggest going to a different location and try to synchronize. See what level strengths you get (L1, L2, L3). It's quite possible that something is causing interference in your immediate vicinity. This wouldn't be the first time I've heard of this happening.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Montreal. Canada.
Perfect sync EVERY watch EVERY night.
Side Note-- there's what I like to call a "sweet spot" in every house. A spot where for whatever reason... Your watch gets the best signal. Funny thing is, it's not necessarily at a window facing the appropriate geographical direction.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm from the east coast, New York to be exact and my atomic sync is not consistent. I often check my atomic watches and most of the times most only sync about 1 or 2 times a week. One time I was watching my GW-5000 syncing and the receiving level was intermittent, signal level goes L1 to L3 then L1. Syncing usually takes about 4 to 5 minutes with my watches, is it normal?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing that has changed is that we are having a more severe than normal rainy season in Central Mexico. The rainy season usually lasts from June through August. This year it has extended from May and is still going on. I would say the volume of rain is 6 fold over any of the previous 10 years.

I think that it could be local weather patterns that are the cause.

I had already known the sweet spot in my house, and that was the window sill I had mentioned in my initial post.

Since posting initially I tried putting the watch on the roof of my house. That did not work. A watched it for a couple minutes on the roof on a manual receive and the reception level never went above L1.

One night I did a manual receive at 5:30 AM, about 3 weeks ago, and I watched the level meter bounce back and forth between L2 and L3. That night I did receive successfully. That was my last successful receive.

As far as receive levels go, it is almost always L1 whenever I check it. In the past in other years it was almost always a steady L3 whenever I checked it.

I guess I will keep waiting for the rainy season to subside. I will post back here then, or if there are any changes in my reception success.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Montreal. Canada.
Perfect sync EVERY watch EVERY night.
Side Note-- there's what I like to call a "sweet spot" in every house. A spot where for whatever reason... Your watch gets the best signal. Funny thing is, it's not necessarily at a window facing the appropriate geographical direction.
I'm in ste-rose,sync every other night always on the 04.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
45 minutes north of Los Angeles, I leave my GW-3000B on the top of my wood dresser, about 5 feet from a glass sliding door. It will sync once or twice a week. It will never sync manually. That hasn't changed in the last year and a half that I have owned It.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Mine does something every night. When I put it on in the morning, the screen is blank and turns back on when I hit the back-light button. i assume its updating as it's consistently in sync with our network time at work. I suppose if i bothered to read the manual i'd know, but the reason i bought it was to not have to bother figuring out how to set it. lol

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Mine does something every night. When I put it on in the morning, the screen is blank and turns back on when I hit the back-light button. i assume its updating as it's consistently in sync with our network time at work. I suppose if i bothered to read the manual i'd know, but the reason i bought it was to not have to bother figuring out how to set it. lol
Most solar/atomics start the update process a few seconds after midnight, and take about five minutes to update. If they can't get a signal, they'll repeat the process a few seconds after 1:00 AM, a few seconds after 2:00 AM, and so on.

Not knowing what model you have, I'm going to guess that your room is dark in the morning when you put your watch on, and that your watch is in Power Saving mode. A lot of solar G's (with PS enabled) will turn the display off (or "go to sleep") in a dark room between the hours of 10 PM and 6 AM. "If the watch is already in the sleep state when 6:00 AM arrives, however, it will remain in the sleep state."

Pushing a button or moving the watch to a well-lit area will bring it out of the sleep state.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Most solar/atomics start the update process a few seconds after midnight, and take about five minutes to update. If they can't get a signal, they'll repeat the process a few seconds after 1:00 AM, a few seconds after 2:00 AM, and so on.

Not knowing what model you have, I'm going to guess that your room is dark in the morning when you put your watch on, and that your watch is in Power Saving mode. A lot of solar G's (with PS enabled) will turn the display off (or "go to sleep") in a dark room between the hours of 10 PM and 6 AM. "If the watch is already in the sleep state when 6:00 AM arrives, however, it will remain in the sleep state."

Pushing a button or moving the watch to a well-lit area will bring it out of the sleep state.
Mystery solved! Thanks. I have a GW 500A wave ceptor/tough solar with a bracelet mod from a MTGM900.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am the original poster on this thread and I had said earlier that I would return here to update the forum on any changes to my Casio GW5000 reception problem in central Mexico.

As of approximately January 25, 2014, my watch again started sporadically picking up the signal from Fort Collins here in Central Mexico. It started out receiving the signal every other night or every third night. Now, as of the past week, I am receiving the signal with successful synchronization every night this week.

I have come to the conclusion that my original problem that started in June of 2013 was due to local weather conditions and/or sunspots that were occurring, and that was why I had a six month lapse in signal reception.

Thank you to all who posted here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sunspot cycles will definitely make a difference. I have a Casio atomic watch, and I live in Alabama. It will usually sync if I use my wallet or something to make it stay face-up on my chest (as opposed to sideways, which the molded bracelet usually tends to make it do). I've had it 3 years and it's always been that way around here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
31 Posts
Same general location in SE USA with Edifice M300. Syncs every night without fail and always has. Did so over the last 4 years in France, New York, Michigan, and California. So what's a "sunspot" anyway?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts