WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A bit underwhelming with new models if you ask me...

Casio to Introduce New Connected Engine Module and Ten New Watch Models at BASELWORLD 2017

Casio Computer Co., Ltd. is proud to exhibit at Baselworld. Once again this year, we present to the world the ground-breaking ideas of the brightest minds in our timepiece business and the great products that these ideas have brought to the global market.

In 1974, Casio entered the watch market with the CASIOTRON, the world’s first watch with an automatic calendar. Our commitment to creating timepieces that automatically and accurately tell the time and date—and never stop—is alive and well today.

Casio welcomed 2017 with a new focus on developing watches that will set the standard for next-generation timekeeping. Driven by our new development concept, “Casio Connected,” we are finding innovative ways to enhance the essential function of our watches—to keep accurate time anywhere and in any environment—while also delivering entirely new benefits for users.
At Baselworld 2017, we are showcasing G-SHOCK and OCEANUS watches equipped with our newly developed Connected Engine 3-Way module, which always keeps accurate time anywhere in the world. The module provides three-way time sync system and also automatically updates the watch’s internal data on daylight savings time (DST) and time zones from a smartphone. Our goal has been to create fully automatic timepieces that are optimised for today’s global era. We continue to develop leading-edge technologies to achieve this goal—performing the intrinsic watch function of always keeping accurate time anywhere in the world, by self-updating, self-adjusting, and self-charging.
Also on display from Casio is a wide range of distinctive new models in our EDIFICE, PRO TREK, BABY-G and SHEEN brands. We will feature Casio premium timepieces that exemplify Japanese craftsmanship and quality by combining the latest technologies with outstanding design.
We invite you to visit our booth to experience revolutionary Casio timepieces that integrate highly original technologies with beautifully sophisticated design.

Main models at BASELWORLD2017

Next Page
Connected Engine 3-Way Module
G-SHOCK MRG-G2000HT
G-SHOCK GPW-2000
G-SHOCK GST-W300andW310
OCEANUS OCW-G2000S
OCEANUS OCW-G2000C
EDIFICE EQB-800
PRO TREK Smart WSD-F20S
PRO TREK PRX-8000MT
BABY-G BGA-240L
SHEEN SHB-200A

·
Registered
983 Posts
I like their focus of correct time anywhere in the world, that is something I want in a watch, but I absolutely don't want anything that interacts with my smartphone. I want the timepiece to be completely independent of any other gadget I have, not connected, or in need of some soon to be obsolete device or technology.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Baselworld is always a garbage event for me, nothing to ever get excited about, its all about rich person stuff cause Casio wants to fit in with the other people showing watches there. since 2011 there has been 1 good baselworld when a woman took pics of the rangeman when she was not supposed to and some european store also took pics of early upcoming release prototypes and he was not supposed to either.

most of this stuff from the press release we have seen before.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Bit underwhelming indeed, the focus is really on the new module with Bluetooth, which i don't personally want. Surprised they didn't release more MRG variants along with the LE model

·
Premium Member
9,011 Posts
Bit underwhelming indeed, the focus is really on the new module with Bluetooth, which i don't personally want. Surprised they didn't release more MRG variants along with the LE model
Check this link: Casio G-SHOCK Unveils New Akazonae Inspired MR-G | Casio USA

I think it's likely there will be other MR-G versions periodically (color schemes) - as there have been up to now. Notice this new MR-G not only has the new module, but also changed the world time sub-dial to 12-hr instead of a 24-hr dial.

Yeah, not much too exciting in the way of new models. But maybe Casio will release something later in the year. However, they might be saving their big treasures for the 35th annversary next year...

I for one am happy to hear about the Connected Engine module. Why? Because I like GPS. Just because it has Bluetooth doesn't mean you have to use it. My guess is that the new module will be limited to the premium models at first, but after while, I think it will trickle down to many others - and IMO, that's a good thing.

I was hoping for a brand new Manaslu model, and not just a diff version of an existing model. Maybe next year?

Anyhow, should be much easier for me to not spend much money this year! :-d I'll save up for the titanium screwback square that I hope they bring out next year!! :-!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Check this link: Casio G-SHOCK Unveils New Akazonae Inspired MR-G | Casio USA

I think it's likely there will be other MR-G versions periodically (color schemes) - as there have been up to now. Notice this new MR-G not only has the new module, but also changed the world time sub-dial to 12-hr instead of a 24-hr dial.

Yeah, not much too exciting in the way of new models. But maybe Casio will release something later in the year. However, they might be saving their big treasures for the 35th annversary next year...

I for one am happy to hear about the Connected Engine module. Why? Because I like GPS. Just because it has Bluetooth doesn't mean you have to use it. My guess is that the new module will be limited to the premium models at first, but after while, I think it will trickle down to many others - and IMO, that's a good thing.

I was hoping for a brand new Manaslu model, and not just a diff version of an existing model. Maybe next year?

Anyhow, should be much easier for me to not spend much money this year! :-d I'll save up for the titanium screwback square that I hope they bring out next year!! :-!
Thanks for the link T4P, but I'm surprised they didn't do a 'normal' version of the MRG-G2000 before another LE

You've mentioned the titanium square a couple times now, I'd definitely be on board with that one as well! I've come to realise that screwback square is what I like the most, and a titanium version of the GW-5000 would be amazing. I've got a combi bracelet inbound now, that'll tide me over till the next wave of new G-Shocks

·
Premium Member
9,011 Posts
Thanks for the link T4P, but I'm surprised they didn't do a 'normal' version of the MRG-G2000 before another LE

You've mentioned the titanium square a couple times now, I'd definitely be on board with that one as well! I've come to realise that screwback square is what I like the most, and a titanium version of the GW-5000 would be amazing. I've got a combi bracelet inbound now, that'll tide me over till the next wave of new G-Shocks
Re. the MRG-G2000 (I didn't even notice the change in the model no. to be honest - I was focused on the pic!) - my guess is they wanted to showcase their highest-end stuff right away, to get as much attn as possible at Baselworld. I would bet though that they have std. versions of the MRG-G2000 waiting in the wings.

I would love a titanium GW-5000, but who knows if we'll see it. I loved the GW-T5030C from a few years back, sorry I missed that one. (trouble was, I didn't love it THEN - or even notice it! Wasn't a square lover until more recently) The combi bracelets are nice on the squares! I have one now on my DW-5030. :)

Good to see you back on f17!

Reactions: aalin13

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Reactions: Deepsea_dweller

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
That G-Steel in gunmetal and the new ProTrek 8000 series look interesting. The rest didn't evoke any emotional reaction in me, well maybe the blue Hammer Tone did a bit.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Re. the MRG-G2000 (I didn't even notice the change in the model no. to be honest - I was focused on the pic!) - my guess is they wanted to showcase their highest-end stuff right away, to get as much attn as possible at Baselworld. I would bet though that they have std. versions of the MRG-G2000 waiting in the wings.

I would love a titanium GW-5000, but who knows if we'll see it. I loved the GW-T5030C from a few years back, sorry I missed that one. (trouble was, I didn't love it THEN - or even notice it! Wasn't a square lover until more recently) The combi bracelets are nice on the squares! I have one now on my DW-5030. :)

Good to see you back on f17!
Thanks! Haven't posted here in awhile, but always followed it. Just that the more recent releases have been mostly quite oversized, so haven't really piqued my interest enough to buy one. Been actually tracking the GW-t5030 on yahoo Japan, but the price is out of reach

Going to Japan soon in April, looking forward to seeing more JDM watches then :)

·
Premium Member
14,580 Posts
Rolex! The Porsche of Watches! They all look the same.

Kind of how Jeremy Clarkson calls Porsche 911's Volkswagen Beetles.

Just busting your chops. If I could afford a Rolex, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Never mind coz my other fave brand released a beauty

[ images by the Rolex website ]

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am actually very surprised, that they didn't come out with anymore quad sensor module watches whether it was another G or Protrek.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Count me in the group that doesn't care about or even want connectivity from my watch to other devices. If I wanted that, I'd just get my phone out of my pocket in the first place.

Granted, I like atomic sync which is sorta/kinda the same thing, but I think to a much lesser degree. The bluetooth connectivity largely defeats what I like about and want a watch for. Who knows, if I see it in action I might come to love it maybe.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts