WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my GW700BDJ-2 June 28th. I now have 7 G-shocks... so I don't wear my GW700 everyday as you can imagine. I do call it the, "Mothership" and probably enjoy wearing it more than any other G-shock. Here is the watch I'm taking about:

Well.. the consumer alert part is the band is showing signs of wear. This doesn't bother me too much.. gives it that well worn look... but I sure think this is pre-mature. And I expected so much from the ion-plated coating.

Here are the wear marks:

·
Registered
496 Posts
You have not told us anything about what you do when you wear it, so without that information I don't think we should be surprised at all. It is (merely) a coating, after all.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's private information your asking for there matey! Sometimes I wear a watch and nothing else at all.. if you catch my drift.... ;-)

Seriously, I thought the eitty bitty ions "bonded" with the stainless steel.... and I thought (how rude of me) that the coating would be more durable.

Of course, your milage may vary.

Good luck!

You have not told us anything about what you do when you wear it, so without that information I don't think we should be surprised at all. It is (merely) a coating, after all.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have an MTG910 with the black coating. I wear it occasionally and do not discriminate when I am wearing it, meaning that I don't baby it, and the coating on mine does not yet show anywhere near the wear you pictured.

Maybe our coatings are different, maybe yours is defective, maybe you treat yours differently than I do mine, maybe... hopefully you get my drift.

Now if you had pulled it out of the box with those marks on the band, then I would certainly think a consumer alert would be in order!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was a consumer alert among friends mikeymoto. Just here.. in this forum. It was my silly way to alert my friends here that the ion plated band didn't hold up as well as I thought it would.

You will wear yourself out trying to react logically to my silly posts. I've been especially silly today. I'm sure you don't appreciate it.. but I hope some out there enjoys my attempts at humor and lighthearted banter.

Have a great day sir,
Gawain

I have an MTG910 with the black coating. I wear it occasionally and do not discriminate when I am wearing it, meaning that I don't baby it, and the coating on mine does not yet show anywhere near the wear you pictured.

Maybe our coatings are different, maybe yours is defective, maybe you treat yours differently than I do mine, maybe... hopefully you get my drift.

Now if you had pulled it out of the box with those marks on the band, then I would certainly think a consumer alert would be in order!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
That's private information your asking for there matey! Sometimes I wear a watch and nothing else at all.. if you catch my drift.... ;-)

My Friend, that is a picture I don't EVEN want floating around in my head:-d:-d:-d

Seriously though, that looks like serious wear in a quick time. I thought it would be much tougher then that. The only coating I've ever had good luck with is the DLC, like on my KAHR pistol......it's as tough as anything I've ever seen. Isn't some company supposed to start usuing DLC on some watches?

Regards Sonny

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL...... ;-)

I sit at my computer all day, using my keyboard. I rest my wrist on the desktop.... I think that is what happened.... I'm sure if you don't sit at a freaking computer like I do, you wouldn't have that problem

And don't worry Sonny... I've yet to post to this forum in my birthday suite.... LOL :-d

-Gawain

My Friend, that is a picture I don't EVEN want floating around in my head:-d:-d:-d

Seriously though, that looks like serious wear in a quick time. I thought it would be much tougher then that. The only coating I've ever had good luck with is the DLC, like on my KAHR pistol......it's as tough as anything I've ever seen. Isn't some company supposed to start usuing DLC on some watches?

Regards Sonny

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
LOL...... ;-)

And don't worry Sonny... I've yet to post to this forum in my birthday suite.... LOL :-d

-Gawain
:-d:-d:-d...Thank You, my Friend:-d

Yeah, I'm left handed so all of my bracelet watches have lots more wear on the left side since that's my "Mouse" hand. I couldn't figure it out for a while why the left side of my bracelets always had more scratches then the right.
Regards Sonny

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
This thread has no scientific value...

...we need to see the 'wear and tear' of the owner (nude of course) in a side by side comparison with the watch.

·
Registered
209 Posts
LOL...... ;-)

I sit at my computer all day, using my keyboard. I rest my wrist on the desktop.... I think that is what happened.... I'm sure if you don't sit at a freaking computer like I do, you wouldn't have that problem

-Gawain
Same here, buddy. I had a Oceanus OCW-700 in black, with the ion coating, and after two weeks, one of the links had significant wear on it. I got rid of it, as for a $500 watch, I don't expect that kind of wear. I've heard the only dark coatings that hold up, are DLC.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
eh?

"honey, come here and bring the camera. We have a request."
LOL

This thread has no scientific value...

...we need to see the 'wear and tear' of the owner (nude of course) in a side by side comparison with the watch.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Citizen use DLC on some of their pilot models (Nighthawk, I think) and the Autozilla. I think they call it Duratect. But I could be wrong and Duratect could be something else completely.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also own the GW700BDJ-2, and I am trying to be very careful as I have been using it for my daily watch since I got it about a week or two ago. I kinda had a fear about the midline peaks on the links showing wear, and I suppose time will tell. I still have three links that I removed so if any of them get bad enough I might switch them out. I have been unable to locate any replacement links online.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Geogecko was yours the titanium model? I've read it "scratches black" meaning you shouldnt really see that much wear?

Adam

Same here, buddy. I had a Oceanus OCW-700 in black, with the ion coating, and after two weeks, one of the links had significant wear on it. I got rid of it, as for a $500 watch, I don't expect that kind of wear. I've heard the only dark coatings that hold up, are DLC.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts