WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at some inexpensive Casio watches online. Some of them are listed as "Illuminator" and others are listed as "electro-luminescent". Is there a difference? Is one the old weak yellow backlight from the 80's and the other the bright blue full backlight like the Timex Indiglo? All other things being equal I would prefer the Indiglo-type.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Unfortunately it's not possible to tell. Illuminator can be both - EL or an LED (I think very few have the old micro bulb if there are any left at all). Electro luminescent is the indiglo style illumination.
Unfortunately Casio started to use the cheap looking LED illumination even on their top products like the new Protrek PRW-3000 - so if you want EL - better hurry, it might soon be gone altogether - at least with Casio.

Cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
I guess so. Might also be because LEDs last longer than EL which can "burn out" over time.

Cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
I actually prefer LEDs on my casio watches.. I love the white or blue LEDs.. I just hope in the future they can evenly illuminate the whole lcd...

Tapatalk.

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
The lifespan of the LED illumination is nearly infinite and yes, it requires far less power than the EL panel (actually next to nothing). Still I don't like it, mainly because of two reasons: 1. too uneven 2. too bright. The second is easily fixable not sure about the first....

cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts