WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else have one of these precursors to the DW-290? I know there were several others in the 200 series, but I remember seeing this one a lot more than others. This is one of those watches I wish I had kept. Probably the only watch I've ever owned that I can say was perfect, with no issues or negative things about it.

I think with the popularity of square watches, I wonder why Casio hasn't made a new square model to replace the DW290. They should be all over that market opportunity. And what number could they use? Has DW-300 already been used by a G-Shock series? Is the "numbering" problem the only reason they haven't replaced the odd-looking 290 with something newer? I think the reason the DW-290 is still somewhat popular is because it hasn't been replaced with anything new.

This little film shows several watches in the 200 series including the 260.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRY_FZZdnp4

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: It looks like the DW-300 might have been used on a series of 300M deep-sea diving watches.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Did anyone else have one of these precursors to the DW-290?
Yes, I do have one -- one of the oldest watches in my collection, and the first watch that I bought myself that I still own.

The only bad things I can say about: it's got the crappy 1980's light that preceded the newer EL backlights (and makes the watch harder to read in the dark), it doesn't show current time in stopwatch mode, and the slightly raised crystal is prone to scratches:

dw 260 1.jpg

And what number could they use? Has DW-300 already been used by a G-Shock series?
Yes and no -- it was used for the DW-290's big brother, the 300m rated, not-quite-a-G-but-almost-as-tough DW-300.

Featured in Heartbreak Ridge with Clint Eastwood.

Google + "casio dw300" = https://www.google.com/search?q=casio+dw300&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I do have one -- one of the oldest watches in my collection, and the first watch that I bought myself that I still own.

The only bad things I can say about: it's got the crappy 1980's light that preceded the newer EL backlights (and makes the watch harder to read in the dark), it doesn't show current time in stopwatch mode, and the slightly raised crystal is prone to scratches:
I can see your point. Except for the light. I wish more of them had the older style light, or at least the Ten-Year style which uses less power.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Excellent thread Gshockmister.after collecting vintage G-Shocks i.e.5200,5400,etc,etc for years, the HD bug hit hard.I remember a guy at work had one back in 85 and it stuck in my head.after some patience and luck I scored a mint DW-200/DW-240/DW-270,and a pair of DW-340 300m.believe it or not the OEM straps in new cond are still made.

Cheers
john

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent thread Gshockmister.after collecting vintage G-Shocks i.e.5200,5400,etc,etc for years, the HD bug hit hard.I remember a guy at work had one back in 85 and it stuck in my head.after some patience and luck I scored a mint DW-200/DW-240/DW-270,and a pair of DW-340 300m.believe it or not the OEM straps in new cond are still made.

Cheers
john
The replacement straps are another plus. I like any watch where you can find a strap that doesn't cost half as much as the watch itself, which makes it almost not even worth replacing.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They were still available a few months ago, and I was going to get one from Pacparts one of these days: Casio DW260-1V Parts and Accessories

Now they're showing them as "discontinued" so that's the second time I've waited too long on a part for an older model and missed out. :-(
While you might not find a replica of the original style strap, you can find a generic one that fits. I know because I remember deliberately replacing the original on mine with a generic because I didn't like the "stiffness" of the fitted strap. I prefer to be able to move the watch around without it looking awkward.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Great watches, very retro. While I like some of the new retros, like the F-108wh
f108_y.jpg (pic stolen form internet)
they do not have Countdown Timers!!!!?!
Still mourning the W-71, and these seem to have its functionality, complete with the REM, but with more toughness. Keepers, for sure.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
I've found the bracelets on these older DW-2xx models to be a bit short for my wrist (7.55"). I wish the F108WH bracelet would work. The aftermarket ones are usually cheap feeling or don't fit very well. Plus the buckles they come with then to be crap too.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was looking for info on this series and forgot that I created this thread. I had a DW260 in the early 1990's.

Before I bought mine my cousin's husband had a different model with multiple alarms and possibly solar panels. I remember I had to set it for him. But when I got mine suddenly I remember getting several comments from people at work noticing it. They probably didn't like the 100M version I was wearing the week before. But when I got this they suddenly took notice. One older guy I used to hang out with at work at the time even said something like, "I won one of those stupid watches in a contest a year ago. I haven't worn it though." I'm sure he just wanted an excuse to get a square digital watch.

I put it in a drawer and completely forgot about it until I found it ten years later. It was still running. Then I stupidly got rid of it when I wanted to "narrow down" my collection. I also have a thing about not wanting to wear a watch unless it is easily available to find a replacement for. Just a weird quirk of mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts