WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All -

I do realize this is not really a G...but thought i would start here for help. (i guess this is a pre-G...if you will)

Over the holidays i found my old DW-280 (from early 1990s) and tried to clean it up and change the battery to get it working again. (i beat the you know what out of this watch...and it still works)

I was able to get it all apart and get the battery in...but these two, tiny bronze springs popped out and i have no idea where they go to get it to work correctly. Currently, with the battery in...it works for a few minutes, then the display fades out...i am assuming the springs are needed to keep pressure on something and the display lit.

Does anyone have experience changing the battery on this (old) model? Or does anyone have a soft copy of the manual/instructions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Does the watch have any sounds (button beeps and alarms)? At least one of the springs will be for sounds. Did you short the battery by putting metal tweezers (or wire or a bent paper clip) from the AC contact to the battery for about 10 seconds? That's usually required to properly reset the watch.

There is a How To change batteries on the forum for detailed instructions.

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=19704

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply...

No, i had not noticed any sounds...and was curious why not. The spring is probably the answer as you mention.

I did not short the watch for reset...will try that.

Thanks for the link...will check it out.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
On the inside of the case back there should be a disk stook to it (this is the speaker). The alarm spring drops in a hole in the module and should be making contact with the disk, which will give you a rough idea where it should fit. I'm not sure what the second spring will be for. Good luck with it. :)

Ps: I know the How To is for a G-Shock, but the proceedure should be basically the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help.

I did lose one spring to the carpet gods...but managed to get the other spring into place and everything appears to be working.

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Well, the carpet gods must be appeased. :) Glad you got it sorted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts