WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Nice :) This model is very under the radar, not a lot written about it, I wonder why? Was it not produced in large quantities?

Looks really good, same module as 5600c, interesting.

Enjoy wearing it |>

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Nice :) This model is very under the radar, not a lot written about it, I wonder why? Was it not produced in large quantities?
It was produced for about 1 year and only sold in USA/Europe -- not Japan. The DW-5600E came out 2 years later with a superior module. It's a peculiar "in between" model in the transition from the small squares to the beefier G-Shocks of the late 1990's. It had the aging 901 module and was not a screw back and still had the dim "grain of wheat" bulb for lighting. Unfortunately, this is one of the models known for notorious resin rot. This is why the NOS condition one that exc-hulk just got is a rare example. But even great looking resin can suddenly suffer this resin rot problem, on the DW-5300. It's about as bad as the old DW-5500C. So... be careful with this one -- take all precautions and never wear it! ;-)

p.s. this is also the watch that was mistakenly thought of as the "Mission Impossible" watch. It wasn't. It was actually the DW-290. So, it lost a lot of cachet when that fact came out.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
xevious, thanks for explanation :)

I'm actually suprised then there are so many of them still for sale on ebay, there is almost always one, in diffrent condtions of course. Many of them are far from mint or NOS, that's defenetly true.

exc-hulk found a real gem here, enjoy wearing it/looking at it on the shelf, whatever you decided is best |>

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
very impressive knowledge there Sir. Xevious !!!
xevious, thanks for explanation :)
Thanks! But I must confess, the knowledge was not immediately in my head. I had to consult a few sources, one of which was Sjors--a king of G-Shock knowledge. :)

Personally, I really like the bezel on the DW-5300. To me it gives a little extra "beef" to the 5600 minimalist bezel. And the double pairs of eight recessed black domes is a cool aesthetic. I'd be so grateful to CASIO if they'd re-release the bezel! CASIO seems so... reticent to encourage customization of G-Shocks. They'd rather models be exactly as they were created. Maybe it's fear of possible deception, whereby people would decorate a watch to look like a rare piece and try to sell it as such. Honestly, straps and bezels are so easy to replace and I think very few people would fall for a fake that replaces just these parts.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
congrats! vintage is the way to go~ I always wanted to collect this one and DW-5200.
Now, go after DW-6800. Another beefy square success. Then a sample of DW-81xx/DW-8300/DW-6400 is must have....

DW-6800-1.jpg

DW-8300 & DW-6400

P1010014.jpg

(image above ^^ is not my photo and watch.)

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Looks really good, same module as 5600c, interesting.

Enjoy wearing it |>

Thank you Crater !

I agree, does not get much attention.
I like that old square G's very much, especially with this module.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was produced for about 1 year and only sold in USA/Europe -- not Japan. The DW-5600E came out 2 years later with a superior module. It's a peculiar "in between" model in the transition from the small squares to the beefier G-Shocks of the late 1990's. It had the aging 901 module and was not a screw back and still had the dim "grain of wheat" bulb for lighting. Unfortunately, this is one of the models known for notorious resin rot. This is why the NOS condition one that exc-hulk just got is a rare example. But even great looking resin can suddenly suffer this resin rot problem, on the DW-5300. It's about as bad as the old DW-5500C. So... be careful with this one -- take all precautions and never wear it! ;-)

p.s. this is also the watch that was mistakenly thought of as the "Mission Impossible" watch. It wasn't. It was actually the DW-290. So, it lost a lot of cachet when that fact came out.
Thanks for the additional infos.

And you are absolutely right, that watch was not worn by Mr. Cruise in MI ! It was the DW-290, like you say.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
congrats! vintage is the way to go~ I always wanted to collect this one and DW-5200.
Now, go after DW-6800. Another beefy square success. Then a sample of DW-81xx/DW-8300/DW-6400 is must have....

View attachment 1253445

DW-8300 & DW-6400

View attachment 1253449

(image above ^^ is not my photo and watch.)

Thank you !

The DW-6800 is another winner of older squares.

Love mine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts