WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Casio newbie and this morning after opening my new DW5600 I saw on the box that it's a DW5600-1WT and not a DW5600-1V. I've read lots of reviews on the 1V but can't find any info on the 1WT.

What are the differences between the two?
Is one a better model than the other?
Should I return it and look for a 1V?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
What are the differences between the two?
As far as I can tell, the only difference is the printing on the box. Like you, I can't find anything on the 1WT, but the suffixes on Casio's watches generally indicate things like color, limited editions, different straps or regional markets (like "export only" or "Japan only.)

Is one a better model than the other?
No -- as mentioned above, the only differences between different Casio sub-models are generally cosmetic, like different colors or different strap materials.

What really counts is the module inside -- if you turn it over and the back has a rectangle with "3229" inside, you have the same module that's used in the latest DW-5600's.

Should I return it and look for a 1V?
Probably not, unless someone can find a significant difference between these two suffixes! The only mention I can find of a "DW-5600-1WT" is in this WUS thread -- did you perhaps get your watch at a Walmart store?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I can tell, the only difference is the printing on the box. Like you, I can't find anything on the 1WT, but the suffixes on Casio's watches generally indicate things like color, limited editions, different straps or regional markets (like "export only" or "Japan only.)

No -- as mentioned above, the only differences between different Casio sub-models are generally cosmetic, like different colors or different strap materials.

What really counts is the module inside -- if you turn it over and the back has a rectangle with "3229" inside, you have the same module that's used in the latest DW-5600's.

Probably not, unless someone can find a significant difference between these two suffixes! The only mention I can find of a "DW-5600-1WT" is in this WUS thread -- did you perhaps get your watch at a Walmart store?
Thanks for the info and you are correct, I did get it at Walmart just this morning and it does have the 3229 module inside.

Their website even says they have the 5600E-1V and mentions nothing about the 1WT. The difference maybe nothing but you never can tell about what Walmart does to save/make a dollar.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
That's really odd... "WT" contains the first and last letters of "Walmart". Why would CASIO designate a product label specifically for a retailer? Unless... Walmart is printing their own label as means of helping to control the inventory of this very popular affordable model--this way someone can't easily return a DW-5600E to them that came from another source. The missing "WT" would be an obvious indication. Curious.... :think:

Incidentally, in that linked thread the main inquiry was about the presence of the "Fox Fire" label on the watch face. Most USA sellers shouldn't have that photo, but some may make a mistake and supply it by accident, unaware of the implication. However, there is a seller on Amazon selling these as from the JDM. They've marked up the price by double! Crazy. I could see $15 extra, but double is just outright predatory.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Thanks for the info and you are correct, I did get it at Walmart just this morning and it does have the 3229 module inside.
Sounds like that's the answer, then -- that other post I linked mentioned the "1WT" in one of Walmart's ads. Casio might have been using the "WT" to match a Walmart inventory number at one point.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess it could be a store code. Here's a couple pics of the label and case back. I just wanted to be sure I bought a quality watch.

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
You should be fine. It appears good to my novice eyes. BTW I bought a DW6900 from Wally World in January and have no issues.

I wish my local Wally World had sold the 5600, I would have bought it then also.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Unless... Walmart is printing their own label as means of helping to control the inventory of this very popular affordable model--this way someone can't easily return a DW-5600E to them that came from another source. The missing "WT" would be an obvious indication.
I guess it could be a store code. Here's a couple pics of the label and case back. I just wanted to be sure I bought a quality watch.

That's obviously a label or sticker that someone (Walmart seems to be a good guess) placed over the original UPC code on the box.

Underneath, it looks like it says "1VCT" -- and "DW-5600E-1VCT" comes up in a LOT of Google searches as (apparently) a common suffix.

It's also interesting that the sticker shows the old "1545" module while the caseback shows the "new as of 2010" 3229 module. Offhand, I'm guessing that Walmart printed a bunch of stickers and that their inventory people don't know about the new module.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's obviously a label or sticker that someone (Walmart seems to be a good guess) placed over the original UPC code on the box.

Underneath, it looks like it says "1VCT" -- and "DW-5600E-1VCT" comes up in a LOT of Google searches as (apparently) a common suffix.

It's also interesting that the sticker shows the old "1545" module while the caseback shows the "new as of 2010" 3229 module. Offhand, I'm guessing that Walmart printed a bunch of stickers and that their inventory people don't know about the new module.
Good eye Mike. X-ray vision. LOL
I hadn't even noticed the other sticker underneath but I can see it now. I can actually make out the writing better in the pic than in person.

That answers the mystery for me. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts