WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, a very simple question: is still on sale any G-Shock or normal Casio which production started in the 1980? I would like to buy them!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
What model? Some of watch models back then still have modernized versions in production today. But if you want actual 1980s models, it all depends on luck and how collectable they are.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
The very first G came out in 1983 was the DW5000. It was re-produced in recent years in limited quantity. It's a collectable item that cost couple hundred dollars. The DW5500 which came out in 1985 still have modern versions in production, you can have for a hundred bucks or so. The DW5600 which was based on the original G and first came out in 1987. It's still widely available for its modernized versions. You can get that easily and cheaply, around ~$40 bucks.

History of G-Shock Watches | Casio - G-Shock

As for regular Casio, too damn many models, you need to be more specific if you want those.

Reactions: Tetsu Tekubi

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
There are a couple of models that have been going since the 90s like the DW-6900 but the module has changed over that time.

I think the current model with the longest unbroken run with the same module is the G-100 from 2000.

This model doesn't get much of a mention on here, which is a bit surprising since it must sell well for Casio to keep making it. It isn't the greatest G out there to be honest though one of the weakest in fact imo.

Mitch

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Can you tell me some models from the past still in production?
As others have mentioned/asked, it might help if you explain WHY you're looking for old models -- none of the oldest, pre-1990's G-Shocks are still in production. Some collectors pay premium prices to have an old, outdated piece of memorabilia to put on a shelf, but if you're going to actually WEAR the watch you'll probably want the easier-to-read electroluminescent backlight rather than the old, dim LED lights they used to use.

As watch_geek2014 and Mitch100 said, the DW-5600E is the modern version of the original DW-5600C, and the DW-6900 is still virtually the same as when it was first released in 1995. (The only update to the module is that the calendar now goes until the year 2099; the older version's calendar stopped at the year 2039.)

You might find this site useful: List of Every G-Shock Model - G-Shock Wiki | casio watch resources -- start at the beginning and search eBay (and similar sites) for each model number to see if anybody has any "new old stock" for sale.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I think the longest running model without change is F-91W. It is in production since 1991 and still available.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I think the longest running model without change is F-91W. It is in production since 1991 and still available.
I personally ban the F-91W, because it's actually a terrorist watch!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I personally ban the F-91W, because it's actually a terrorist watch!
Does that certain watch model walk on the streets and terrorize people? Or is it just cheap and accurate so that it is desired model among all kind of people.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Check out the Casio AL-180, Casio's first 'batteryless' (solar powered) watch that was launched in 1987. It's still in production today

montre-homme-casio-al-180amvv-1udg-recharge-solaire.jpg

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Does that certain watch model walk on the streets and terrorize people? Or is it just cheap and accurate so that it is desired model among all kind of people.
I ban it personally, because it's a known symbolic link to terrorism, and a known tool used to kill innocent civilians and servicemen. I don't feel right to have it, no matter how cheap. But that's just me, everyone else can choose their watches freely.

Note I don't want to discuss this further due to the policy in the forum regarding politics. Everyone's free to have different opinion, and this is just my opinion, don't be offended.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts