WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to a few members on WUS, I've been infected with a strong appreciation for the G-2000. This is not an exceptional watch by Casio functionality standards, but the visual design and feel of it is really well done. When I finally managed to obtain one, I was pleasantly surprised. It also had me intrigued when I learned on the G-Shock Wiki that there were quite a few additional variants, another 11 to be exact. Those other versions were released in the JDM (Japan Domestic Market) only, so they seldom come up for sale in the USA markets.

So, some background on the G-2000 is in order, I think.

To commemorate the new millennium, Casio created the G-2000. It wasn't marked with anything specific to celebrating the year, except for the model number matching "2000". But it was an important milestone for the Casio G-Shock line. It also marked the ending of the screw back case for standard G-Shocks (a couple of other models had them, but the last G-2000 made in November 2001 was the end of it), except of course for a few exclusive limited editions (GW-5000 reissue, DW-5025D 25th anniversary, DW-5000SL "Spike Lee", etc) and the Frogman.

The G-2000-1JF was the starting model, in January 2000. MarineMaster wrote a terrific review about this model, entitled "The Fortress" (warning: image intensive). One could say this watch is the "round" version of the venerable DW-5000. And you can see in that review some great comparison photos showing the two together. Functionally they're about the same, so I won't be repetitive and go into those details. The one key difference is that the G-2000 has an EL back light, instead of a small bulb as on the DW-5000. It sits a bit higher on the wrist, but not awkwardly so. It just feels rugged.

So, I kept this watch on my radar... saw a few examples pass me by at prices higher than I wanted to pay, then finally got one at a price I liked and in the condition I wanted. I wasn't look for perfection, as some minor signs of use would actually be welcome. Here's what I got:

Casio_G2000_1.jpg
Casio_G2000_2.jpg
Casio_G2000_5.jpg
Casio_G2000_3.jpg

I find it to be one of the more handsome G-Shocks Casio ever made, for the size. It's nowhere nearly as enormous as a GX-56 King, yet not too small that you'd feel like you're wearing a "junior" watch. To me, it's pretty much perfect. And so as I got to know this watch better, I became a bit more curious about it and the other variations. Casio made the G-2000 in different colored resin bezels/bands, a variety of colors in dial face and lettering, and LCD segments in black, purple, or reversed. There is even one model with a cloth band, and one with a silver metal bracelet. Again, these were only available in the JDM, so little is shown about them outside of Japanese regional websites. All I could do to learn more about them was through the G-Shock Wiki, which was very helpful. But rather than leaving it to you to wander about it, I've consolidated the list here with images:

January 2000
G-2000-1JF - First G-2000 model debuted. All black resin case and band. EL blue.

March 2000
G-2000A-2JF - Second G-2000 model, based on VICE EYE ("Vice i") series. Dark purple resin bezel and band, purple seconds ring, and light gray dial. EL blue.

June 2000
G-2000BM-1MJF - First G-2000 model with reverse LCD display, called "Raven". All black resin bezel, band, and dial face. White G-Shock and Shock Resist, and blacked out pusher labels. EL blue green.

July 2000
G-2000CK-3MJF - Named "Viper", with dark green background in seconds ring. Very dark green resin bezel and band, with tan LCD background. White G-Shock and Shock Resist, and blacked out pusher labels. EL blue.

September 2000
G-2000CG-8MJF - Silver resin bezel and band, with purple background in seconds ring. Purple LCD digits with white background. Black labeling. EL blue.

February 2001
G-2000BK-1MJF - Named "Real Black", based on the "Raven" but with all labels completely blacked out. Reverse LCD display with tan segments. Dial writing is all white (including the triangle in "shock resist"). A white bat appears on the lower band.

April 2001
G-2000SD-8MJF - Named "Dragon", with medium blue dial face and lettering. All dark silver resin bezel and band, with dragon emblem. EL blue green.

June 2001
G-2000FL-6JR - Metallic black resin bezel and band, with light gray dial face. Yellow G-Shock and Shock Resist, and blacked out pusher labels. EL blue green.

July 2001
G-2000BS-2JF - Deep blue semi-translucent bezel and band, with black dial face. Yellow G-Shock and Shock Resist, and blacked out pusher labels. EL blue green.

September 2001
G-2000D-8JF - Only G-2000 with silver metal bracelet, with silver bezel. Black lettering on bezel. El blue green.
G-2000TD-2MJF - Named "Fire G". Based on "Dragon", but with brighter blue lettering and black resin bezel. Fabric band with blue and black blotch pattern. El blue.

November 2001
LOV01A-7JR - A G-2000 version with "Lover's Collection" all white motif, featuring gray dial face and silver bull bars. El purple.

So, that about covers it. Everything you wanted to know about the G-2000 model series, and perhaps a bit more... except, for why it was discontinued. There are some speculations floating around, but none definitive. I think it was due to a shift in focus, whereby more feature laden modules needed a larger case and Casio was ready to move onto other designs. At least an interesting variety of G-2000's were made. A great watch for Casio G-Shock history.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I've finally added two more to my G-2000 collection. For a nice contrast, I wanted the white one. The resin is a metallic white with a lustrous sheen. It also comes with bull bars installed. I've seen black bull bars for the G-2000, but somehow the look doesn't appeal to me on the dark resin. I prefer to see the face unobstructed. But on the lighter colored G-2000, it seems to work much better. The dial face lettering that is obscured is rather muted to begin with, so you don't miss much. Also, the bull bars on the G-2000 look like they fit much better than on the 5600 series. There's very little in the way of gaps.

Anyway, here are the obligatory photos:

Casio_G-2000-LV_LCD.jpg
Casio_G-2000-LV_front.jpg
Casio_G-2000-LV_back.jpg

Casio_G-2000-CK_LCD.jpg

Casio_G-2000-CK_front.jpg
Casio_G-2000-CK_back.jpg

The G-2000LV has a much weaker back-light than the other two G-2000's I own. I thought that maybe it was just age or something to do with the design, but there's a slight intensity drop after initial activation which suggests it's just the battery nearing exhaustion. There's a fine dotted pattern over the LCD background that you can't see with the naked eye, but I managed to capture it in the close-up. This might be muting some of the brightness. The backlight still works, but visibility is useful only in the pitch dark. Another thing I didn't capture is that there's a kind of iridescence to the LCD background of the G-2000LV. It creates a rather attractive shimmer effect in bright light.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you look at the casings of the older screw back models like the DW-5600 and DW-5700 without the bezel, you find somewhat rough and unfinished metal. That's OK, because the resin bezel covers over it. But later on, Casio began to finish off the casings and make them very presentable. My first experience of this was with the GL-110, which has a very clean and polished look.

The G-2000 benefited from a finished case as well.

Casio_G-2000-CK_side1.jpg
Casio_G-2000-CK_front3.jpg

Really nice looking. I'd almost try venture wearing the watch without the bezel. ;-)

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I find it fascinating to see how certain G-Shock models descend from previous models, inheriting some of their characteristics in combination of functionality and appearance. When the G-2000 came out, many felt it mimicked the Frogman model.The year 2000 proved to be a major milestone for Casio, where older designs were retired in favor of newer ones, and an upgraded version of the solar cell recharging functionality appeared in an iconic workhorse model: The G-2300/G-2310. There were over a dozen variants created based on the G-2300, and also named as the G-2310 (with just cosmetic differences, as most use the 2184 or 3192 module; the atomic version uses module 3195).

What I found rather intriguing is that the G-2000, G-2300, and G-2500 were initially released in 2000 and 2001. The G-2300 is the most feature laden of the three, and the only one with solar cell recharging. It was first produced in the same year as the G-2000. The G-2500 looks astonishingly like the G-2000, with just a few cosmetic differences and weighing significantly lighter (because the case is resin, not steel). The G-2300 inherits many of the visual cues from both the G-2000 and G-2500. Given how anemic the G-2000 is in comparison to the G-2300, with only 1 alarm, no world time, and no databank, it's a wonder why it was even made. I see it more as a transitional model, intended to serve as a "poor man's Frogman" as many have pointed out in the past, because it has a super rugged all stainless steel case.

I thought it might be kind of fun to put the G-2500 module inside the G-2000 casing, except that the crystal backing on the bottom would obscure the day indicator, and there would be no way to activate the EL backlight (there is a dedicated 5th button on the G-2500, the recessed silver segment below "Shock Resist").

Casio_GShock_G2000-2500-2300.jpg

What's interesting is that the G-2310R, the successor to the G-2310, is still on the active Casio G-Shock product list. The main improvement it introduced is increasing the full charge duration from 6 months to 11 months, removal of the year on display, removal of the data bank, adding button tone control, and an automatic power save feature (the older models had a manual control of the LCD display).

The G-2300/G-2310 also had a "GW" variant, adding the Waveceptor atomic sync functionality. Casio then decided to do a "super black" version of it, released as the GW-2310BD. In the USA, the inner bezel was dark blue rather than black. But... aside from reverse LCD, bezel upgrade, and metal bracelet, everything else remained unchanged from the GW-2310. With only minor cosmetic differences, it was mind boggling to see such an incredible markup, to more than triple the cost of a standard GW-2310.

GW-2310BD-1JF.jpg
(GW-2310BD-1JF)

GW-2310BD-1BJFs.jpg
(GW-2310BD-1BJF)

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ They very rarely turn up on eBay, but if you wait long enough you'll eventually see one (that's how I got my first one, the black resin model). Occasionally you can find one for sale in the WUS sales forum. They are frequently available on Yahoo Japan, if you're up for the additional costs of using a proxy bidding service (like From Japan, Shopping Mall Japan, and others).

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got a G-2000A-2 "Vice Eye" model, 2nd G-2000 made in March 2000 (my birth month). What particularly grabbed me about this model is the "Java Purple" ring around the seconds graph, and the very dark purple (almost blue) colored resin in contrast to the white faced dial. But what was a nice unexpected surprise is that the EL backlight is reversed! I didn't know that the G-2000 line had any of those (the GL-110 line has several, including the GL-110V-8 pictured on the right).

GL-110_G-2000_yj2.jpg
(G-2000 in center, flanked by two GL-110's)

GL-110_G-2000_yj1.jpg

This G-2000A-2 came in slightly used condition with original box, CASIO price tag, and manual. I'm very taken with the color scheme, to the point where I feel it unseats my G-2000-CK "Viper" as the favorite.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Congrats! Looks pretty cool. Reverse EL is a very very nice thing. I hope Casio would do that on new non-negative models too. It lights up the display much better and is easier to read since it lights the numbers and not the display. Another nice screwback G-Shock of the past. Pity that only Frogman and GW-5000 have the screwback these days.

Reactions: xevious

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are some close-up shots of the "Vice Eye" version of the G-2000. The purple "eye" really stands out. The bezel and band are like a very dark navy with a hint of purple. A very attractive color scheme with the contrasting silver dial.

Casio_G-2000-Vice_front1.jpg
Casio_G-2000-Vice_front2.jpg
Casio_G-2000-Vice_side.jpg

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Very cool xevious! I am with you in that I also prefer a more stealthy appearance with a bright trim piece. Great write up on the fortress.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

View attachment 1011296

I was lucky enough to pick up a G-2000-1JF (first release model) that came new-in-box with a special commemorative 2001.1.1 release card. From the rather smallish photos provided by the seller, I expected to receive some metallic finished cardboard thing. What I got instead is a rather hefty slab of metal, with a brushed gold finish on the outside. The card is coated with a protective plastic layer, which I'm leaving on for safe keeping (this is why it looks a little dull in the photos with bubble artifacts here and there). I've not seen this kind of memorabilia before. Inquiring with several G-Shock veterans turned up "never seen" or "very rarely seen" responses. From what I was told, these special millennium packaged editions were issued only to select G-Shock stores.

View attachment 1011298

While the G-2000 is a smallish watch by G-Shock standards, it's still rugged as all heck and with a hefty stainless steel screw case back to boot. Although I still tend to favor the GL-110 design a little more (which is also a screw back), I still have great fondness for the design of the G-2000. While I certainly appreciate the 5000/5600 series with screw back models, they're almost too common. ;-)

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

In the cool darkness of February 2001, a little over a year since the G-2000 debuted, a bat flew out of its cave and into the moonlit night sky. The G-2000-BK.

Of all the G-2000 model releases, this one is the epitome of stealth with black encasement and negative display with tanned LCD background (same background used on the "Viper"). No brightly painted lettering anywhere on the bezel; just black filled lettering into deep dark resin. Its older cousin, the G-2000-BM, is called the "Raven" and also has a black theme going, but is not quite as subdued. CASIO nicknamed this one "Real Black", but I prefer to call it the "Batman", in honor of CASIO's "man" naming convention (Gulfman, Mudman, Riseman, etc).

The display is a bit hard to read, as you do not have a light colored LCD background to contrast the negative display. But that's OK, as the back light provides plenty of contrast in dim/dark lighting.

The screw case back is identical to all other G-2000's, featuring a brushed circular pattern in the center and a highly polished beveled edge.

With the bezel off, you can see the quality of the casing. From what I've seen so far, the GL-110 and G-2000 are the only standard G-Shock models that ever featured a fully polished stainless steel casing. The GW-5000 is an exception, but is a special release with a full DLC coating. The bezel has 4 slits centered along the perimeter that expose the polish underneath. Later, CASIO would mimic this effect on other models with a polished bezel ring seated between the casing and the bezel, as cost cutting measures did away with the full stainless steel case.

It would have been nice if CASIO had used a smoked translucent gel bezel on this one, to show off more of the casing. There was only one G-2000 model CASIO created with semi-translucent resin, which was the blue colored "BS" that came out in July 2001. In any case, it's a fine looking watch, perhaps the grandfather of CASIO's stealth styling that has been used on a variety of other models across the years.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Jumping on this bandwagon has long been on my list of g- things to do. So glad I finally did. This was listed as used and got for cheap at auction but I can't imagine it was ever more than briefly tried on. It looks mint! Suffice to say I concur with everything good everyone has already said about this watch. An instant favorite.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ever seen the G-2900?

Casio_G-2900_lg.jpg

I recently picked up one of these and immediately noticed a few things about it that were familiar. First, the size is practically the same as the G-2000. Then there's the familiar circular seconds graph on the upper left corner. And then looking at the resin bezel, I recognize a similar shape, with grooves in the same locations.

The G-2900 feels like what would be the natural evolution of the G-2000 after the G-2500, rather than the G-2310 that I originally proposed.

Casio_G2000-G2500-G2900.jpg
G2000 --> Year 2000
G2500 --> Year 2001
G2900 --> Year 2002

Of course, the G-2900 is more feature rich than the G-2500. The e-Data memory has more extensive character support and memory space over the basic data bank on the G-2500, plus faster character scroll. You can also tag any of the 5 alarms with a label. Overall I'd call it the "New Fortress", except that there's no screwback (basic 4 screw back plate).

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
While these are not screwbacks, they have other attributes....like they are still made and plentiful new at reasonable prices, they are solar powered, and 2 of them are atomic.

G-2310R...GW-2310FB....GW-2310

·
Registered
1 Posts

This seems to be the place to ask questions about my G2000. I bought this on that auction site about a month ago. I'm pretty sure that is not a fake so must be a Japan issued only 6121 model. Besides the Goldeye there is a frog man and illumination it also has red faded to gold G-Shock and shock resist in the bezel. Any help identifying would be greatly appreciated hoping to have a cool name for my 6121 like the models made in 2000 2001

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,311 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
This is either an EXCEPTIONALLY good fake, OR some one modded this by taking it apart and coloring the "eye". There is no gold eye G-2000. Though I suspect this is a genuine G-2000 module and case. The display box is one I have never seen before (doesnt mean its not real just I never saw it).

The classic fake signs are not there, but the notch at the top of the eye should have a black mark in the center of it and around the eye should be lighter notches at each of the other 11 points.

It appears that someone tried to customize it with the yellow, also based on the appearance that the yellow is rubbing off the bezel to reveal the original red below. Its probably not a fake, but its definately not a real release either.

Its pretty much like buying a 57 Chevy in metallic blue... the paint job isnt original, but its not always all about the paint job.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts