WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Could anyone give me any thoughts on the reliability of the G Shock versus Suunto and also what you believe is the nearest equivilent G Shock to the Vector.
I really like the G shocks. My son has a Pro trek but it costs over £30 ($58) to have the batteries replaced while you can do it yourself on the Vector for £7.
In saving on battery changes would I be sacrificing quality?

Thanks and best regards
Andy

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Hi All

Could anyone give me any thoughts on the reliability of the G Shock versus Suunto and also what you believe is the nearest equivilent G Shock to the Vector.
I really like the G shocks. My son has a Pro trek but it costs over £30 ($58) to have the batteries replaced while you can do it yourself on the Vector for £7.
In saving on battery changes would I be sacrificing quality?

Thanks and best regards
Andy
I've owned the Vector and though it was a good watch. Even went swimming with it though I was afraid that with a 30m WR it might flood. Perfomed admirably in the ocean surf! :-! I wouldn't dive with it but it should stand up to most things other than diving though. The batt. change kits also include the extra seal so you'll know it's WR when buttoned back up.

The Casio altenative would be IMO the solar or atomic/solar Protrek models. No worries on batt. changes for a very long time and more user freindly IMO.

Kev

·
Registered
774 Posts
most g shocks are a 10 year battery or you can buy a 10 year battery for your g shock and also you can buy a tough solar model watch that charges the battery for you under lights or from the sun
your sons pro trek are high in price for batteries as they have a couple of batteries to run the watch with all its function
so do yourself a favour go buy a g shock and you wont be upset with your purchase
i bought my first g shock about 2 years ago and i have never looked back
as for the Suunto i have never dealt with these watches so i cant tell you how good they are
the closest watch to the vector is the pro trek series
heres a link to the pro trek site have a look and compare
http://www.casio-intl.com/wat/protrek/prg_80/
if you want a g shock to do the job the closest they have is a riseman heres a link to that one
http://www.gearreview.com/riseman.asp
hope this helps
ps go the g shock you will love them

go the g shock you will love them look into the circle
you will love them|>
http://www.g-peopleland.com/

·
Registered
774 Posts
Tomonwatch

The Riseman's altimeter is only good up to 19,680 ft and only displays in 20 ft increments. However the altimeter has many recording, tracking, and altitude alarm features and it seemed to stay accurate throughout the test. It records the altitude every five seconds for the first three minutes after the mode is activated and every two minutes after that. It also has a recall mode where you can view readings that you have recorded as well as the life time max elevation that is automatically recorded.
Another cool feature is a barometric trend indicator, which like the altimeter takes measurements every five seconds for the first three minutes after you switch to that mode and every 2 hours the rest of the time. Rounding out the Riseman's features list is a thermometer, alarm, and stop watch.
the riseman does have a barometer the only thing it doesnt have is a compass but you can buy a cheap one and put it in your pocket

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
do you really NEED a Suunto?
Does anyone really NEED a G?

Might i suggest the Suunto Observer. Its 100M WR and a little smaller than teh Vector.

Or Try this Nike!

No one on this board ever likes to hear me say it, but there are much better "field watches" than the Protrek series.

BTW, the Nike has a user servicable battery hatch and 100M WR..
This little High Gear is a great performer as well! And I changed the battery on it.

All of these watches have altimeters, barometers, thermometers, and compasses.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Tom, has your Vector ever failed due to water? im just curious.

I have a buddy who has an Advisor and has traveled the world... Been swimming many times. probably snorkling with his and never had a problem. I honestly believe the Suuntos are tougher than people give them credit for. Perhaps they under estimate their WR on purpose??

·
Banned
324 Posts

Might i suggest the Suunto Observer. Its 100M WR and a little smaller than teh Vector.

Or Try this Nike!

No one on this board ever likes to hear me say it, but there are much better "field watches" than the Protrek series.

This little High Gear is a great performer as well! And I changed the battery on it.

True so true Jeff, I have the Vector and I am in Orlando,FL for X-Mas Vacation and I am taking it to disney and it will warn me if a storm is approaching, BTW the vector runs about $200.00 and it is worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The Suunto Vector is a great tool. They are in fact tougher than most give them credit for and Suunto watches are the standard on the international climbing scene, you just do not see many Casio's. Not to say the Casio's are not fine watches also, but the Suunto's have gained a great reputation over the last five or six years.

Just my .02, MikeW

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
The Suunto Vector is a great tool. They are in fact tougher than most give them credit for and Suunto watches are the standard on the international climbing scene, you just do not see many Casio's. Not to say the Casio's are not fine watches also, but the Suunto's have gained a great reputation over the last five or six years.

Just my .02, MikeW
Also the predominant watch on the ameteur and pro adventure racing team. Unless like Team Nike ACG, you happen to have your OWN watch :)!

·
Banned
95 Posts

Or Try this Nike!

though it is a bitter fact but its unfortunately true that though casio was the first one to launch alti baro compass field watches ,they are now lagging behind other watch companies as far as these field watches are concerned. as these companies have gone ahead of casio in last decade while casio though making many new models did not do much change in these watches from the firts protrek they launched many years back other than making these watches solar .
suunto ,nike ,high gear ,sensor master,barigo,etc etc many companies have now launched outdoor watches which are smaller in size and have much much more functions compared to casio protreks which have largely remained static technology wise other than the addition of tough solar function,even this tough solar function failed in some early versions ,also nike and suunto give customers the option of user replaceable battery option ,which is next best thing to the solar so caled prepetual watches.
nike is a wonderful watch ,i had its earlier model to the one shown by jeff above,that was the smalles protrek function watch i ever saw!,smaller than even most g shocks,also even in this small size it had zero drift barometer technology and 1 meter altiemeter resolution and spot on accuracy wise!also i loved its weather icon function showing weather forecast in icons for easy understanding of barometeric trend ,i.e showing sunny to cloudy to rainy weather icons.
its pic is below

but ofcourse suunto is even better option than nike,

the above shown suunto observer is great tough watch with steal or titanium casing ,but my personal favourite is suunto x6! it has loads of functions and is still lighter and smaller than casio prg 80 or 90 ,its range of functions and accuracy is amazing ,also its memory is amazing,as it can record the whole data log of your hiking ,also it can transfer its stored data to your persoanl computer via cable! suunto x6 pic is given below showing its connection with data cable

also again suunto x6 shown below,its mobile phone type user friendly interface is amazingly easy to understand and use.

again suunto x6 below,it also has user replaceable battery hatch at back

one thing that is still in casios favour is that suunto and nike watches are not as easily available world wide as casio ,especially in asian countries ,otherwise casio would surely be in trouble due to these watches having superior functions and design.and this is one area of weakness that is holding likes of suunto still behind casio globally in sales,asian markets are the most rapidly growing markets in world and suunto should launch its products there too if it wants to really compete.

( but still ) i hope that casio updates its protrek watch technology soon ,to match suuntos and nikes of this world!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for all your replies.
I've got alot to consider here before pulling the trigger. Maybe I can sneak both into the house!!
Wrestiin140, no I don't and can get by with my mobile phone which I need with me all the time but, I just like different time pieces as I'm sure you do.
Jeff I hadn't considered the Observer but will take a look.
Thanks again all
Best regards and Merry Christmas
Andy

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Well said and I agree on all counts!

I also jsut got this Suunto T3... Except for the fact that my older Polar could upload data into my desktop, this watch is AWESOME... Its truly a training aid. Using the Trainign Effect calculations based on your inputed info, the watch will "coach" you through the week. Things that SEEM common sense often are not. For example if I ride really hard one day and get a Training Effect of 4.8 or 5 I know that I need to rest or spin lightly the next day. Its a great tool to help an athelet keep from over training. The Polar i have allows one to upload data for reference. But the "on board" training history is CRAP! Onec you pass a workout with a new one only the BARE info is stored. Not so in the Suunto T3. The Suunto allows me to pull data from WEEKS ago. I can even get a week in total review. And I can get ALL the data.

For Christmas im getting the bike kit! One down side is that the suunto is not coded. So in a large pack or racers you could get interference. It hasnt happend in a peleton of about 50-60 though. Super light and thin too... I think the t6 model has altimeter/barometer
as well.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Sjors.

Best regards
Andy

·
Banned
95 Posts
Well said and I agree on all counts!

I also jsut got this Suunto T3... Except for the fact that my older Polar could upload data into my desktop, this watch is AWESOME... Its truly a training aid. Using the Trainign Effect calculations based on your inputed info, the watch will "coach" you through the week. Things that SEEM common sense often are not. For example if I ride really hard one day and get a Training Effect of 4.8 or 5 I know that I need to rest or spin lightly the next day. Its a great tool to help an athelet keep from over training. The Polar i have allows one to upload data for reference. But the "on board" training history is CRAP! Onec you pass a workout with a new one only the BARE info is stored. Not so in the Suunto T3. The Suunto allows me to pull data from WEEKS ago. I can even get a week in total review. And I can get ALL the data.

For Christmas im getting the bike kit! One down side is that the suunto is not coded. So in a large pack or racers you could get interference. It hasnt happend in a peleton of about 50-60 though. Super light and thin too... I think the t6 model has altimeter/barometer
as well.

yes suunto t6 is awesome watch too...it not only shows altitude and barometer but also has fitness functions ,as it tells your running speed through foot pod ,also it tells bike speed and even your heart rate while u are running .it has same function as some of polar watch models,,also it records runners logs too and has computer connectivity,
pic is given below

also polar RS800 sd has number of features,,it has altimeter ,barometer compass computer ,mobile connectivity ,running speed ,cycling speed, heart rate monitor ,fitness logs, and many more features .pic is given below

1 - 17 of 17 Posts