WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
MOST 5600 models use interchangeable straps, which means that they can all use the same strap adapter:

5600_Series2.jpg

...which means that EITHER "G5600" version can use those adapters.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Thanks. Do you think g5600 is a good choice or there are better in 5600's series?
In what part of the world do you live? If you're in the US or Europe, or near China or Japan, many people like having the "atomic" feature. The watch synchronizes itself with the nearest atomic clock's radio transmitter so it's always accurate, and the watch will automatically adjust for Daylight Saving Time. The only time the watch needs any sort of adjustment is if you travel and change time zones.

If you live in Australia, India, or some of the other areas without atomic clock radio coverage, that feature isn't of much use on its own. There are smartphone apps that mimic the radio signals, but that takes away slightly from the "set it and forget it" convenience.

Do you really want and need a solar-powered G-Shock? If you don't spend much time outdoors, or if you live near the Arctic Circle, you may become one of the members here who finds "solar" itself an inconvenience if you have to keep your watch near a window when it's not being worn, or may find a basic battery-powered version more convenient. If you DO spend time outdoors and don't have many other watches, though, a solar watch will probably always stay on "high" charge and you'll wonder what all the fuss is about. :)

And what's the difference between GW-M5610R and GW-M5610?
Orange lettering and an orange-tinted LCD. :-d

Casio often makes several different versions of a given watch, with different suffixes in the model number. GENERALLY SPEAKING, if the first part of the model number is the same (as in the case with all GW-M5610 versions) the electronic module inside is the same, which means that the features and functions will be identical, and the only differences are aesthetic. [There ARE two different modules between the G5600 and the G5600E, but unless you're buying a used watch you'll probably never see the earlier version.]

Take a look at the "5000" section and the "G-Lide" section of this thread: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/start-here-choosing-your-g-shock-850524.html

There are many different 5600 "square" versions out there, but only YOU can decide which features you want. Basic battery power, solar, solar/atomic, tide graphs, moon phase, and even Bluetooth enabled models that can link to your phone.

Once you figure out what features you're most interested in, then you can start deciding on color combinations and aftermarket strap adapters. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
In what part of the world do you live? If you're in the US or Europe, or near China or Japan, many people like having the "atomic" feature. The watch synchronizes itself with the nearest atomic clock's radio transmitter so it's always accurate, and the watch will automatically adjust for Daylight Saving Time. The only time the watch needs any sort of adjustment is if you travel and change time zones.

If you live in Australia, India, or some of the other areas without atomic clock radio coverage, that feature isn't of much use on its own. There are smartphone apps that mimic the radio signals, but that takes away slightly from the "set it and forget it" convenience.

Do you really want and need a solar-powered G-Shock? If you don't spend much time outdoors, or if you live near the Arctic Circle, you may become one of the members here who finds "solar" itself an inconvenience if you have to keep your watch near a window when it's not being worn, or may find a basic battery-powered version more convenient. If you DO spend time outdoors and don't have many other watches, though, a solar watch will probably always stay on "high" charge and you'll wonder what all the fuss is about. :)

Orange lettering and an orange-tinted LCD. :-d

Casio often makes several different versions of a given watch, with different suffixes in the model number. GENERALLY SPEAKING, if the first part of the model number is the same (as in the case with all GW-M5610 versions) the electronic module inside is the same, which means that the features and functions will be identical, and the only differences are aesthetic. [There ARE two different modules between the G5600 and the G5600E, but unless you're buying a used watch you'll probably never see the earlier version.]

Take a look at the "5000" section and the "G-Lide" section of this thread: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/start-here-choosing-your-g-shock-850524.html

There are many different 5600 "square" versions out there, but only YOU can decide which features you want. Basic battery power, solar, solar/atomic, tide graphs, moon phase, and even Bluetooth enabled models that can link to your phone.

Once you figure out what features you're most interested in, then you can start deciding on color combinations and aftermarket strap adapters. :)
Thanks for the information.
I live in Israel. On one hand we got much sunny days here, on the other hand, I don't spend much time outdoors ^^
I guess we are radio covered, but there are only about 30 time zones (?) and I'm really not sure my country appears there, maybe a region nearby like greece.
Aren't there a new generation of round case 5000's, like the vintage dw5700c?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I live in Israel. On one hand we got much sunny days here, on the other hand, I don't spend much time outdoors ^^
I guess we are radio covered, but there are only about 30 time zones (?) and I'm really not sure my country appears there, maybe a region nearby like greece.
Here's a link to the owner's manual for the solar/atomic GW-M5610: http://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/009/qw3159.pdf

Jerusalem IS one of the cities that can be set as the "home city" but according to the maps and charts on page 2, Casio apparently doesn't think that the signals from the UK and German transmitters will routinely reach that far, so the watch won't try to auto-receive every night. You could try a manual receive by changing the "home city" and hoping for good atmospheric conditions, but if it's like Australians receiving the Japanese signal that only happens a couple of times a week on average.

Aren't there a new generation of round case 5000's, like the vintage dw5700c?
If there are, I haven't seen any mentioned here, but I'll admit that I'm NOT one of the people who knows all about new and upcoming models either. :-(

There is a "relatively new generation" GW-5000 which combines the steel case and screwdown back of the earliest G-Shocks with modern solar/atomic technology, but it has a traditional 5600-style rectangular case.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So what you are trying to tell that I should take a non atomic one, because the signal will be bad?
Is there any indication to know if the watch has been synced?

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
So what you are trying to tell that I should take a non atomic one, because the signal will be bad?
The AWG-M100SB-2A you mentioned you were buying in another thread is atomic, which is why I suggested the atomic GW-M5610.

I thought there was a thread in the past by someone who lived in Israel and used Anthens as the home city to get the atomic sync receive to work.

If you don't need atomic, as far as I can tell the G-5600E has the same features as the GW-M5610, and some may prefer the cleaner styling of the G-5600E (fewer colors on the dial).

Edit - This thread talks about atomic sync in Israel:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-shock-atomic-timekeeping-israel-2191497-2.html

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Is there any indication to know if the watch has been synced?
The sync indicator on the GW-M5610 is a small "RCVD" flag on the display. Also, you can press the lower right button to get the last successful sync date and time.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
As the thread that GaryK30 linked says, reception in Israel is probably going to be very sporadic, or "hit and miss" -- it's probably NOT going to be consistent enough to depend on every night. (As mentioned above, CASIO doesn't think reception will be very dependable either.)

I don't know what G-Shock pricing is like where you are, but....

IF the solar-only and the solar/atomic are about the same price there (as they are right now in the US), it's up to you if you want an extra gizmo that may or may not work consistently. Some people who are into gadgets might find it to be a neat feature to play with once in a while, while some OCD people around here would absolutely hate having it since it probably won't work most of the time.

IF the solar/atomic costs significantly more there than the solar-only version, I would recommend going with either the solar-only version OR one of the non-solar versions like the DW-5600E.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I don't know what G-Shock pricing is like where you are, but....

IF the solar-only and the solar/atomic are about the same price there (as they are right now in the US), it's up to you if you want an extra gizmo that may or may not work consistently. Some people who are into gadgets might find it to be a neat feature to play with once in a while, while some OCD people around here would absolutely hate having it since it probably won't work most of the time.
Of course, one can just turn off the Auto Receive if it doesn't work consistently, much the same as I always turn off Auto EL. At least the feature is there if you choose to use it later on.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Of course, one can just turn off the Auto Receive if it doesn't work consistently, much the same as I always turn off Auto EL. At least the feature is there if you choose to use it later on.
In the OP's case, if he sets the home city to his location, auto receive WILL automatically be turned off, and won't be turned on unless he changes it to a home city that Casio thinks will receive the signal!

It also might be a nice feature if someone travels frequently, but I'm not sure it would really be worth paying too much extra for.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In the OP's case, if he sets the home city to his location, auto receive WILL automatically be turned off, and won't be turned on unless he changes it to a home city that Casio thinks will receive the signal!

It also might be a nice feature if someone travels frequently, but I'm not sure it would really be worth paying too much extra for.
The difference in the prices isn't that big, on eBay (I even don't take trouble to check the prices here, because I know almost everything here is expensive, due to high taxes - "security budget" , terrorism, bla bla..)
On atomic watchu you also can turn off the auto sync and just manually adjust the time, right?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On atomic watchu you also can turn off the auto sync and just manually adjust the time, right?
Yes, that is correct. You can turn off auto sync, or as Mike K said, select a home city that doesn't support sync (like JRS).
Therefore, I think gwm5610 will be my choice.
I had been searching for bull bars. I found these: http://m.ebay.com/itm/JaysAndKays-Bullbars-for-Casio-GShock-5600-PVD-Protectors-Wire-Guards-Bull-Bars-Silver-PVD-/271592795039?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE&skus=Finish:Silver PVD&varId=570421434383

I have asked the seller if they fit gwm5610, and he answered "if gwm5610 has the same case size as dw5600, then yes."
Ive looked in Amazon and it's written there that gwm got 44mm case, 1 mm less than DW. Will it fit?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts