WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Casio America, Inc. is pleased to announce its latest Pro Trek watch, the PRG550B-5. Ideal for a variety of outdoor activities and adventures, Casio’s Pro Trek PRG550B-5 delivers enhanced features and capabilities.

PRG-550B-5_DF_CF_EF_N.JPG

The PRG550B-5 is the newest addition to Casio's Pro Trek line of triple-sensor timepieces, which feature an altimeter/barometer, thermometer and digital compass. All three of these features accurately monitor nature's elements and are equipped for high energy activities. Whether hiking a trail, conquering a mountain or kayaking, this men's watch is the ideal instrument for outdoor enthusiasts. The latest addition to the Pro Trek line features a combination analog & digital, with a second hand that acts as a compass needle which allows the wearer to read the digital display as well as reference the needle indicator for direction.

We are very excited to launch our newest model, the PRG550B-5, to the Pro Trek Line just in time for the holidays.
said Shigenori Itoh, Chairman and CEO of Casio America, Inc.
This timepiece offers all the tools necessary for successful adventures, while continuing to embrace the outdoorsmen like style for our customers, making it the perfect gift for adventure-seekers.
Like its predecessors, the PRG550B-5 operates with Casio’s Tough Solar Power technology. Its battery life is approximately 6 months without further exposure to light and the watch has a Power Save feature that allows the timepiece to power down when not exposed to light for a certain period of time, thus conserving energy. This eco-friendly solar battery powered timepiece can be charged even in low or fluorescent light, eliminating the need for continuous battery changes.

Designed with a synthetic leather and cloth camouflage band, the PRG550B-5 is perfect for outdoorsmen who like to mesh with their outdoor surroundings.

In total, the PRG550B-5 is also equipped with the following:

• Tough Solar Power
  • 100M Water Resistant
  • Low Temperature Resistant (-10°C/14°F)
  • Digital Compass with Needle Indicator
  • Altimeter
  • Barometer
  • Thermometer
  • World Time (29 cities + UTC)
  • Full Auto LED Light with Afterglow
  • 5 Daily Alarms
  • 1/100 Second Stopwatch (60Min)
  • Countdown Timer (60Min)
  • 12/24 Hour Formats
  • Power Saving Function
Casio’s PRG550B-5 will be available in November 2012 for an MSRP of $350. For additional information on Casio’s Pro Trek watch series, please visit www.protrek.casio.com.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Sorry to say, but ABCT watches from Casio are just trendy gadgets that don't deliver performance.
And I'm a Casio fanboy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It's nice to see Casio expanding their line-up to hunters & outdoors enthusiasts for that I applaud them.
But I have to be honest here. I don't see the advantage of dropping 3 and a half bills on this watch.
Consider the following:

Why buy this watch when I get myself an aftermarket camouflage watch band and swap it out on my digital ABC. Then it's already better for cheap. (BTW kudos to Casio on going with Realtree AP but if you are a Max-4 user or a Mossy J-oak user then bleh).

OK, so that begs the question if this watch is for hunters then why does it not have all the added bonuses of the following watch? And, $350 vs. $30?

PAS410B-5V Pathfinder Moon Phase Hunting Timer Watch

• Hunting Timer
  • Moon Age/Phase Data
    Displays moon age, phase and time on each hour angle (0h, 6h, 12h, 18h) for current or designated day
  • Sunrise/Sunset Data
    Displays sunrise time, sunset time on the current or designated day
  • Vibration Alert (daily alarm, hourly time signal, fishing timer alarm)
  • Time Memo
    Memory capacity: 40 records (each record contains month, day and time)
  • 100M Water Resistant
  • Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow
  • 5 Daily Alarms
  • 1/100 second digital stopwatch
    Measuring capacity: 23:59'59.99"
    Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
  • Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2039)
  • 12/24 Hour Formats
  • Accuracy: +/-15 seconds per month
  • Battery CR2025
  • Approx. battery life: 5 years
  • Module 2805

Attachments

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Sad but true. Garmin and Suunto are the real deal.
How uneducated.

I've been kicking the crap out of my PAG-240 in real situations (i.e. not an afternoon hike) for years now, and aside from some dings in the resin, it keeps smiling at me and asking for more. I have a frind I trip with from time to time that wears a Suunot that is complete garbage - he's been left with a dead battery in the middle of 3 seperate trips. I've never seen a watch of any kind gobble up battery life like that. My solar powered module has never let me down, and the duplex LCD display is far superior to anything I've seen.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
No way to lock the barometer and the accuracy of the altimeter is 5 m. Yeah, a real professional tool.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
No way to lock the barometer and the accuracy of the altimeter is 5 m. Yeah, a real professional tool.
The Suunto Vector and X-Lander also only have 5m resolution on the altimeter and I still consider them professional instruments. The debate about Casio vs. Suunto has been going on forever on this forum and I don't know if it'll bring up any new insights this time. I sure wish Casio would come up with a fully featured ABC watch with alti-lock and most of all MSLP. I do like the design of the new Pathfinder but I think I'd prefer the PAW-2500 with the camouflage strap as I think all digitals are better for an ABC watch.

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
The Core has the lock and 1 m accuracy.
As long as Casio keep their ABCT models in the dark ages they will always take a (deserved!) licking when compared to Suunto.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The Core has the lock and 1 m accuracy.
As long as Casio keep their ABCT models in the dark ages they will always take a (deserved!) licking when compared to Suunto.
We can agree to disagree then.

The best sport club on paper doesn't always (rarely, actually) win the Championship, either.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've owned all three...hardly uneducated. But I accept your opinion difference.
How uneducated.

I've been kicking the crap out of my PAG-240 in real situations (i.e. not an afternoon hike) for years now, and aside from some dings in the resin, it keeps smiling at me and asking for more. I have a frind I trip with from time to time that wears a Suunot that is complete garbage - he's been left with a dead battery in the middle of 3 seperate trips. I've never seen a watch of any kind gobble up battery life like that. My solar powered module has never let me down, and the duplex LCD display is far superior to anything I've seen.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
How uneducated.

Well... let me tell you something.
I have Protreks and Suuntos (lots of them). I've used both brands to downhill mountainbike and both of them have survived to such rough treatment (including several hard falls).
But I prefer way more Suuntos than Protreks for their accuracy.
In the other hand, if I had to do a hiking trip, I would wear one or two batteries just in case (they don't weigh a lot, so it's not such a trouble).
I'm actually using the new Suunto Ambit and all I have to say are good words.
Concluding, both are great watches, but for me Suunto is a winner.
By the way, my oldest Suunto is a X6 that's 12 years old and it's still working perfectly!!

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
The Suunto Vector and X-Lander also only have 5m resolution on the altimeter and I still consider them professional instruments. The debate about Casio vs. Suunto has been going on forever on this forum and I don't know if it'll bring up any new insights this time. I sure wish Casio would come up with a fully featured ABC watch with alti-lock and most of all MSLP. I do like the design of the new Pathfinder but I think I'd prefer the PAW-2500 with the camouflage strap as I think all digitals are better for an ABC watch.

cheers, Sedi :)
But the Vector is a 1999 year product and X-lander a 2002 year product and despite that it can do MSL and the barometer and altimeter function is joined and the compass can be used in the dark. So the fact that a 13 year old product in some aspects still manages to outshine a 2012 Casio ABC in the ABC department is not very flattering to the Casio's.

I also prefer the PAW-2500 over this new one, the camo PAW-2500 can be found at a great price and looks good.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Funny how if a watch "can take a beating and survive", that makes it the best :roll:. Yes that's one nice quality, but if it's an ABCT watch and the ABC functions are crappy, that really puts a dent in "the best" part.
As I said countless times, I'm a Casio fanboy to the bone, but the ProTreks pail in comparison to the Suunto Core. I can't speak about Suunto's older models, but compared to the Core the older ProTreks and the newer ones suck in the ABC department.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The fact that the Core is software updateable is a HUGE difference. Also external sensors are light years beyond what Casio is thinking. And don't discount Garmin, the Fenix looks quite compelling, has ANT+ and also access to external sensors. The Suunto/Garmin competition will get fierce and further this gap.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I'm REALLY curious about the new Garmin(s), but hadn't had the chance to try one yet. I love my eTrex, so I have the impression that it should be good.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts