WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've had a 1A2ER and a 1A1JF for a while and generally prefer the 1A2ER (same as yours). They are so light and the overall function is so great, but the numeral indices are the perfect addition to this watch! What band have you got it on? I'll probably let the 1A1ER go at some point in the future but for now it's a slightly dressier alternative to the 1A2ER.
Yeah, I prefer the version with the numerals, a bit more of a field look, but all a matter of personal taste. I swapped the metal bracelet for this silicone band. Again just personal style. And I agree as far as features, function, style and value, there's not a better watch for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1SFZG4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

·
Registered
5 Posts
@NOT ENOUGH CASIOS:

What a wonderful and timely post (the first post in this thread).

You have answered many of my questions as I am facing the same decision (M100 vs M170)--this decision is one of the late-night internet distractions that I've leaned on in these times of COVID.

Your view on the 'wearability' advantages of the M100 (due to lug differences and band flexibility etc.) tips it, for me (I think!) in the direction of the M100.

Let me explain how I got here.

For several years now I have owned these two Casio Tough Solar watches:

Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light

The watches have been workhorse watches for me--the stopwatch function as well several of the other features of both...I use every day.

Both were about $32.00 (each) on amazon here in the United States--a simply incredible value.

The battery indicator on the orange one now reads 'MID', while the white one still reads 'HI'.

I presume this is due to the fact that the orange one is a year or so older and its internal button cell is beginning to age.

In anticipation of it wearing out, I ordered the metal-band analog of these watches from amazon (about $35.00); it was their last one 'in stock'. I'm ready for different watch bands as the resin just isn't perfect for me...but what do you expect for $32.00/watch?

Sadly, upon its arrival last week, the metal band watch analog's battery indicator also read 'MID'...indicating that it had been in a warehouse for awhile as I think the particular variation was discontinued years ago (experts here might correct me on that).

So I sent it back and began looking around for different solar/digital/analog/multi-function Casio watches.

And I am willing to spend more.

I'm considering the M100/M170 conundrum now described so ably by the op in this thread.

I think I've settled on titanium and sapphire (especially since the mineral face on the orange one has a set of scratches on it; it bothers only me but it does bother me!).

I think I like the M100 version with the Arabic numbers on the face.

And the 'normal' LCDs seem better than the inverse due to better visibility...(but those all black versions sure look nice although perhaps a bit glossy; plus they are all steel, correct?)

But I have some questions.

(1) Has Casio Japan ceased manufacturing the Lineage line? Is this a 'current' webpage?

(2) If I order a Lineage from Japan today, will the battery indicator on it arrive as 'MID'?

(3) What is the estimated real-world use battery life estimates for the button batteries that the solar cells power up? I've owned the two watches pictured above for 7-8 years...as stated previously one reads 'MID'. Is it beginning to wear out?

(4) Easy or difficult to replace the button batteries in the Lineage series?

=====

So I want to upgrade my Casio solar watches.

I may even begin considering purchasing another Lineage (for a total of two) and a similar set of questions presents itself when comparing the M300 and M600 series of Casio watches (all of which are steel with no titanium options...is that right?).

I am certain that many reading this (my first post here) know way more than I do about these topics.

Thanks for reading and fire away!

And thanks to @NOT ENOUGH CASIOS.

·
Registered
Casio WVA-M630 Orient Commuter Orient Flight Vaer C5 Victorinox Field Force Wenger Field Watch
3,445 Posts
A battery that reads Mid doesn’t mean the battery is wearing out. It just means the battery needs to be charged until it reads Hi.

If you put the watch in a area that gets lots of indirect sunlight - a south facing window is best, leave it there until the battery indicator reads Hi. Once the battery is on Hi it will stay there as long as you expose the watch to light -wearing it daily or exposing it to light.

My Linages and WaveCeptors all arrived from Japan reading Mid. They all read Hi after charging and have stayed on Hi.

IMO if you charge the watch that reads Mid it should move to Hi. There are Casio solar batteries that are still going after 15-20 years.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I can help with a few of your questions
A major benefit of the 100 vs the 170 is the 100's 10 atm water resist. vs the 170's 5 atm
If a battery arrives at mid power (or even low), have no fear, they can easily be brought right up to high with a good 1-2 day sun bath.
I've got a few Oceanus models with a battery over 16 years old and they still take and hold charge fine.
Replacing batteries a simple affair (4 screws), obtaining battery easy also, CTL1616 if memory serves.
AFAIK, Lineage line is alive and well, Asia and Euro markets only though
Re: negative display, I've given up, only positive form me, a nice feature of the current crop of Lineage models is the relatively large size of the LCD letters/numerals that I can still read, I can barely read the LCD on my Oshi OCW-500/510 models due to failing close up vision. THose were once my favorites.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A battery that reads Mid doesn’t mean the battery is wearing out. It just means the battery needs to be charged until it reads Hi.

If you put the watch in a area that gets lots of indirect sunlight - a south facing window is best, leave it there until the battery indicator reads Hi. Once the battery is on Hi it will stay there as long as you expose the watch to light -wearing it daily or exposing it to light.

My Linages and WaveCeptors all arrived from Japan reading Mid. They all read Hi after charging and have stayed on Hi.

IMO if you charge the watch that reads Mid it should move to Hi. There are Casio solar batteries that are still going after 15-20 years.
Thanks for your responses.

My orange tough solar is now placed in a sunny, south-facing window.

I'll report back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can help with a few of your questions
A major benefit of the 100 vs the 170 is the 100's 10 atm water resist. vs the 170's 5 atm
If a battery arrives at mid power (or even low), have no fear, they can easily be brought right up to high with a good 1-2 day sun bath.
I've got a few Oceanus models with a battery over 16 years old and they still take and hold charge fine.
Replacing batteries a simple affair (4 screws), obtaining battery easy also, CTL1616 if memory serves.
AFAIK, Lineage line is alive and well, Asia and Euro markets only though
Re: negative display, I've given up, only positive form me, a nice feature of the current crop of Lineage models is the relatively large size of the LCD letters/numerals that I can still read, I can barely read the LCD on my Oshi OCW-500/510 models due to failing close up vision. THose were once my favorites.
My checking reveals the 100 is 5 atm water resist?

I am looking at a 100 with Arabic numerals and a white face.

Any issues/disadvantages/surprises with the white face?

·
Registered
577 Posts
My checking reveals the 100 is 5 atm water resist?

I am looking at a 100 with Arabic numerals and a white face.

Any issues/disadvantages/surprises with the white face?
My bad I guess re 10 atm lcw-100 water resist, maybe I was thinking about the lcw-m510 series. lcw-m100 seems to have 5 atm water resist
White face watch is subjective. Some have white hands which I have trouble reading at first glance (no contrast), darker hands = more legibility. My lcw-m170 white face has silver glossy hands, legible enough most of the time, not perfect but OK for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My bad I guess re 10 atm lcw-100 water resist, maybe I was thinking about the lcw-m510 series. lcw-m100 seems to have 5 atm water resist
White face watch is subjective. Some have white hands which I have trouble reading at first glance (no contrast), darker hands = more legibility. My lcw-m170 white face has silver glossy hands, legible enough most of the time, not perfect but OK for me.
I am obviously still new here--appreciate your response.

I really like the white watch face...a lot...but wonder if it is 'too flashy' for the old guy that I am;).

Is your m170 steel or titanium? And do you wear it with the original watchband?

Am I right that the steel bands on the Lineage watches are a bit shinier and a lighter shade of 'silver', compared to the titanium bands (which are a bit more 'matte' and a slightly darker shade of 'silver'?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts