WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New watch for me, was really thinking of an Oceanus, and really taken with the OCW-S100P-2AJF. Spec matters to me, though - I'm very much more a function over form person, and I'd decided after recently buying a couple of quite nice analog Lineage models, that I wanted a purely analog watch, with the tough movement, multiband 6, tough solar, 100m WR (as my existing Lineage models were just 50m WR), and ideally titanium case and bracelet.

I found all that spec in the LIW-T100TD-1AJF, plus has standard / normal lugs, so will run a normal strap or bracelet (the Oceanus models I've considered, all have bespoke lugs, so won't run standard straps / bracelets). Titanium case and bracelet, but doesn't appear to have the hardened coating used on the Oceanus models, also doesn't have sapphire glass - just a domed, non-sapphire crystal (supposedly scratch resistant).

So... here's some pics:-

IMG_00000228.jpg

It was well packed - not rattling around inside a box.

As soon as the box was opened, the hands start moving as it wakes up:-

IMG_00000234.jpg

IMG_00000242.jpg

IMG_00000244.jpg

IMG_00000246.jpg

IMG_00000247.jpg

Very happy with it - it's a nicer looking watch than auction / product pages give it credit for. Simple, classy, understated, not too big, not too small or delicate. Bracelet similar to the other stainless steel Lineage models I've got - 'cept this is a titanium bracelet to match the case. Solid links, pins and collars. This time I think I'm going to keep it on the stock bracelet for a while.

One thing I wasn't sure of, before getting one - as it's not that clear from the PDF manual, was whether it automatically applies DST - it does, as soon as it gets a time sync.

There is an Oceanus equivalent - the OCW-T100TD-1AJF, which is very similar, I expect it's slightly larger, has the carbide coating, and sapphire glass. But - the most notable downside compared with this Lineage model - it has bespoke lugs, so no standard straps / bracelets on the Oceanus version - which is odd, too, as I think the Oceanus model(s) have the spring bars exposed from the outer side of the lugs. So realistically, the only downside of this model, compared with the Oceanus version, is not having the carbide coating, and not having sapphire glass.

This cost around £245 (UK pounds) landed in the UK - that's including all import duty / vat, and handling fee (so total cost to me). For the OCW-S100P-2AJF, it would have been slightly more than double that. For the Oceanus "version" of this Lineage model it would have been about £140 or £150 (UK pounds) more than this Lineage model (so for that, you'd get sapphire glass, and carbide coating on the titanium - but - you wouldn't have standard lugs).

These seem something of a sleeper model, really - I've seen one photo of this model on here, and somebody with a similar, stainless steel, tough movement Lineage (but that had non-standard lugs).

This is going to be my dressier / more formal watch - but also the one I can go anywhere with, and have decent WR - the following two Lineage models will be more my daily drivers, and I kind of flit between wanting to wear the blue one, or the white one - sometimes one, or the other seems more appealling:-

IMG_00000221.jpg
IMG_00000217.jpg

·
Registered
279 Posts
Classy watch, indeed. But certainly too much for me to wear the titanium one.
I like the blue one, very nice |>

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3 weeks in, and I've kept the titanium bracelet on - think that will stay.

It's very light, and although it's only had light duties in rotation with my other Lineages, the bracelet doesn't seem prone to marks at all, which was my initial worry.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wongsky, we have similar priorities & criteria- what is the model of your old, blue daily driver btw?

Also does your new featured Ti casio have a backlight, or just lume?

Thank you.
Hi - blue Lineage is the LCW-M100DSE-2AER. And the titanium Lineage just has lume, no back light - which may seem odd with the 4 buttons compared with the LCW-M100Ds having only 3.

·
Registered
19,217 Posts
I don't know if you realized how lucky you were, your watch has a perfect second hand alignment (it hits all the markers on the dial), I've seen a lot of more expensive analog quartz watches (be it Swiss or Japan made) with second hand landing anywhere between the two markers.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I don't know if you realized how lucky you were, your watch has a perfect second hand alignment (it hits all the markers on the dial), I've seen a lot of more expensive analog quartz watches (be it Swiss or Japan made) with second hand landing anywhere between the two markers.
This latest lineage has the tough movement, so the hands should auto align to be perfect.

My other two Lineages you can manually adjust it, the seconds on both hit all the markers exactly, but on the blue variant, I did have to ever-so-slightly adjust the minute hand - it was just a movement ahead (think it moves 3 times a minute, and I think it was one movement ahead - the titanium one, the minute hand moves every 10 seconds).

edit: just wanted to point out something, there, which was a mistake - all three Lineage models I've got, LIW-T100TD-1AJF, LCW-M100DSE-2AER and LCW-M100D-2AJF the minute hand moves in increments every 10 seconds. Moving 3 times a minute must either be my WVA-430 (Wave Ceptor), or AWG-M100A-1AER (G-Shock).

I once had to adjust the hand positions on another Casio Wave Ceptor (my WVA-430) but oddly, it wasn't the seconds, the time had jumped a bit compared with the real / digital time - on all of my Wave ceptor Casios, the seconds have been bang on the markers.

·
Registered
19,217 Posts
This latest lineage has the tough movement, so the hands should auto align to be perfect.

No, tough movement doesn't automatically adjust the second hand to make it aligned with the markers, it doesn't even know if your watch has markers or not. It's rather a matter of luck.

For example this Lineage has the second hand off the markers by 1/3 sec.

liwt100td1ajf.jpg

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, tough movement doesn't automatically adjust the second hand to make it aligned with the markers, it doesn't even know if your watch has markers or not. It's rather a matter of luck.

For example this Lineage has the second hand off the markers by 1/3 sec.

View attachment 1280792
Are you saying the tough movements don't calibrate the second hand, only the minute / hour hands?

This is what Casio's website says:-

Casio said:
Automatic pointer calibration
The automatic pointer calibration checks the home position of the pointer every hour and corrects it as required — for example, when the pointer is adjusted due to impact and when the pointer is affected by magnetism.
Either way - even if it doesn't calibrate the second hand, I'm pretty sure you could manually calibrate it - you can on my other two Lineages (that don't have the tough movement) and this model with the tough movement allows you to either manually trigger the auto calibration, or I think set it entirely manually.

When you do it manually, you just align everything to TDC (top dead centre).

·
Registered
19,217 Posts
The auto calibration isn't something new, all analog quartz chronograph watches have it (to reset the hands to zero), the principle is the same.

However, the top dead center is only related to the watch's own movement, when you put the movement in the case, it's another story, the markers must be evently printed on the dial and the movement must be installed with great care so that everthing is perfectly aligned, it's not rare to see a watch with misaligned hands or date window.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The auto calibration isn't something new, all analog quartz chronograph watches have it (to reset the hands to zero), the principle is the same.
Surely only the watches with tough movements do it automatically. All my wave ceptors allow you to do manual calibration.

However, the top dead center is only related to the watch's own movement, when you put the movement in the case, it's another story, the markers must be evently printed on the dial and the movement must be installed with great care so that everthing is perfectly aligned, it's not rare to see a watch with misaligned hands or date window.
Accepted - I do get what you're saying. But in the example of this Lineage, with the tough movement, assuming the marker ring was aligned correctly... you see where I'm going.

I've bought 4 analog Casio wave ceptors with a second hand in the last year or 2. First a WVA-430, then 2 LCW-M100Ds, and this LIW-T100TD (I've also bought an analog G-Shock Wave Ceptor, too, but it doesn't have a second hand). All of them have had perfect alignment of the second hand with the second markers. The first - the cheapest - a WVA-430 had, and still has perfect second hand alignment, as have all the rest since. It's something that I look for that tends to niggle at me if it's not right.

My LCW-M100DSE-2AER had the minute had very slightly off alignment - it was just a bit early on the first sub-minute movement, so I corrected that manually. I once had to correct the hands on my WVA-430, but not the second hand alignment, it had just got out of sync with the real / digital time.

Maybe I've just been spoilt by luck, but, I guess I've just come to largely take it for granted with these sorts of Casios.

945 Posts
Surely only the watches with tough movements do it automatically. All my wave ceptors allow you to do manual calibration.

Accepted - I do get what you're saying. But in the example of this Lineage, with the tough movement, assuming the marker ring was aligned correctly... you see where I'm going.

I've bought 4 analog Casio wave ceptors with a second hand in the last year or 2. First a WVA-430, then 2 LCW-M100Ds, and this LIW-T100TD (I've also bought an analog G-Shock Wave Ceptor, too, but it doesn't have a second hand). All of them have had perfect alignment of the second hand with the second markers. The first - the cheapest - a WVA-430 had, and still has perfect second hand alignment, as have all the rest since. It's something that I look for that tends to niggle at me if it's not right.

My LCW-M100DSE-2AER had the minute had very slightly off alignment - it was just a bit early on the first sub-minute movement, so I corrected that manually. I once had to correct the hands on my WVA-430, but not the second hand alignment, it had just got out of sync with the real / digital time.

Maybe I've just been spoilt by luck, but, I guess I've just come to largely take it for granted with these sorts of Casios.

Wongsky what does correcting hands mean exactly, when other than the second hand? It seems like hour & minute hands' movements are continuous anyway relative to the discrete positions of most "jumping" quartz/analog second hands. I do wish there was a way to adjust those, when second hands land between the tick marks, but as said that's kind of a lottery if it bothers you.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wongsky what does correcting hands mean exactly, when other than the second hand? It seems like hour & minute hands' movements are continuous anyway relative to the discrete positions of most "jumping" quartz/analog second hands. I do wish there was a way to adjust those, when second hands land between the tick marks, but as said that's kind of a lottery if it bothers you.
On all the analog Wave Ceptors I've got there's a manual hand set / alignment / calibration option - when you select it, all the hands move to what the watch thinks is TDC (ie all hands pointing at 12).

You can then align and fine tune this. I've only ever had to do this because the minute hand was out, though.

On watches that have tough movements, this is done automatically, every hour. They also have a way of triggering this to happen manually. Or I think you can do the whole thing manually, like the non-tough movement Wave Ceptors.

·
Registered
259 Posts
What's the lugwidth of this? I got one incoming... Search all over the internet without answer.

And sorry for bumping an old thread

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks...

I got it from local auction for RM98 (~USD25) Seems like the seller don't know what it is.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts