WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone... I posted this to the G-shock forum, but I really do think it deserves mention here being an affordable dive watch with some very unique features. I have added some additional comments below in the "Value" section of my review, being this is the affordable watch forum.

mods please feel free to move or delete this post if it is redundant.

Just got back from a week vacation at Disneyland with the kids and came home to a HEAP of mail. Bills, bills, junk-mail, bills... and a little box containing a new MDV-102. I like to think of it as a current production Casio Marlin (I hope that doesn't insult any of the Casio Vintage-heads, My apologies in advance if that is the case)

Here are some pics sans-flash:

Pics with flash:

Pics Outdoors:

Heres my video review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsC8X15-12s

Fit & Finish:
Overall I'd say fit and finish are very good for a $50-60 piece. I could type a bunch of crap and subjective opinions on this, but I think I'll just refer you to the thumbnail pics and video above. You should note that the flash on my cam tends to hi-light dust and debris. I took the pics a little after the 11'th hour, so the date is just starting to turn over, hence its off-center appearance. My only nit to pick as far as fit/finish goes is the crown. If you look closely at the flash pics, its not finished as neat & clean as more expensive watches. You can see some small pits and imperfections in the knurled texture.

"Feel":
Overall the watch has a nice solid robust feel to it. It reminds me a lot of my old G-shock form 1984. It has a similar screw-back and maybe is a tad heavier, while protruding slightly less from the wrist than that old 5200. The bezel fells a little less "clicky" than my Ti-Eco-drive, and its ratcheting mechanism doesn't feel quite as solid when its rotated. But it certainly does not feel loose or like it will fall apart any time soon. The screw-down crown is nicely done. It also feels solid as the screw threads engage, and you tighten it down for a water-tight seal. The electro-lume button is big and easy to press, with just a "hair" of looseness to its feel, without being sloppy or cheap feeling. The resin band is stiff and secure feeling too. I tend to wear my watches a little loose, so I clasp it at the 4th from the last hole. Overall its very comfortable. No sharp edges, and none of the arm-hair pulling sensation I get with my other watches.

Illumination:
Probably this watches most appealing feature is Casios "super illumination". Similar to many analog g-shocks it has white LEDs at the 12 and 6 positions, that feature a nice after glow. Take your finger off the button and it stays lit for a second. Its VERY bright too, Enough lumens to light up a small stair-case at night. A nice touch is the 2-toned traditional lume of the hands and dial markers. Hands are green-ish and the dial markers are teal-blue. I have no idea how long they remain usably lit, but will certainly put it to the test. If I get anywhere near the amount of usable illumination I get from my Citizen I will be over-joyed.

Accuracy:
I have not owned the piece long enough to evaluate its timekeeping accuracy, but so far it has not shown any problems and has kept pace perfectly with my atomic wave-ceptor G-shock.

Value:
Initial impressions point to a very good value overall. I bought it from an ebay seller without any problems. I have seen it at Target for $55 and Amazon for a little under $60. So far I am very happy with the purchase and its feature-set represents a good value for the $$.

I think this watch will represent a good value to anyone with the following criteria:

1- Analogue ONLY format, with no LCD display
2- Affordable
3- Electro-luminesence on top of standard glow in the dark hands/markers
4- Smooth rounded corners/edges
5- Screw-down crown and case-back
6- 200M WR

·
Affordables Moderator
17,574 Posts
I saw it at Target last week, it's a nice looking watch which definitely appears to offer plenty of value for the money. I was thinking of picking one up for my older son.

Great review, thank you! :-!

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
That's a really good looking diver I'd not seen before.
Excellent review and pics.
Congrats and thanks for posting!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Target must have had them on sale, because the one in my area doesn't have them at $55 bucks. The cheapest place I've seen them is at Walmart.

I used to own one. Made in China, but it's a nice looking watch and not a bad piece for the money. The LED feature certainly makes up for the rather weak lume and as I recall it was fairly accurate. I have thick wrists and I found the strap on this partucular watch to be on the short side so I replaced it in favor of a Zulu strap. The strap is 22mm in case you're wondering. Ironically, the only potential flaw I see in the watch's design is the LED feature. I know it's not marketed as a professional dive watch, but it's 200m water resistance and 'dive watch' appearance means people will take it in the water. Maybe it's just me, but I don't find pressing buttons under water to illuminate the dial a good idea if you happen to be swimming in low or no light conditions. Not a real issue if you don't swim at night; and if you don't swim at all then it doesn't even matter, I guess. :-d

·
Registered
448 Posts
That was an awesome video review! Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have one of these and,imho, it only has two flaws:
1.band- which is easily fixed with your choice of 22mm
2. lume on hands-pretty much stinks not so easily fixed !
If any one has a source for superluminova hands that will fit please let us know !!!

It really is inexcusable to produce a dive or dive style watch with such poor lume !!
Really how much more could it cost to add decent lume to the hands ?

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
If any one has a source for superluminova hands that will fit please let us know !!!

It really is inexcusable to produce a dive or dive style watch with such poor lume !!
Really how much more could it cost to add decent lume to the hands ?
No idea about actual costs of course but at what their actual whole prices likely are, and with the probable production numbers, I'd guess they're watching every penny.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I pretty much agree... although I wouldn't go so far as to call either the band or lume "flawed". IMHO a flaw constitutes something that is completely unusable or completely ineffective. Neither is the case with this watch... at least IMHO. Of the two I would say the band is the more severe shortcoming. Its stiff and has some rough textures that many may find to dig into the skin. I can wear it all day, no problems... although the watch always kind of "reminds" me of its presence. it doesn't merely disappear on the wrist.

I'm thinking about swapping the band for a citizen or Seiko 22mm. Similar look but better feel.

Its a good value overall, but to say it surpasses a Rolex or Omega (or panerai, bell & ross for that matter)... thats stretching things a little. But then again each of us has our own unique value-scale and personal preferences.

Cool... thanks for the kind words everyone. I will be doing similar video reviews for all my other watches too.

·
Affordables Moderator
17,574 Posts
Just snagged one for my older son for Christmas :-!

Thanks again for the great review!

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just snagged one for myself off Amazon... I've only been a member a few days and the bug is hitting hard.... Bought a nike triax for working out as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am wearing my Casio Marlin Diver as I write this. It is a great watch for the money and keeps excellent time. Got mind at BJ's Price Club for $49.99 last month. It looks great. has very good Lume and even has an illumator light that is very bright (could almost use as a flashlight in very dark conditions).

M&Q

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Thank you for this marvelous review/video review. Well done. In layman's language to boot, I am a "watch idiot"...haven't graduated to "savant" grade yet.:roll: I have been tempted to get this watch, now you've pushed me over the edge...you devil, you!:-d

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I used to spend $ 200 to $ 300 for watches but think this one and ones lik it at Target/ Walmart are fine. I have been into colocting watches for about 5 plus years and feel this is a great value.

Steve :-!

·
Banned
383 Posts
thanks for the rewiev this watch gets on my to buy list.

I like the light function the most, i own a monster wich most find have great lume. and yes it has for about 20 min to an hour. when i wake up at night it is impossible to c the time.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I like the backlight feature. It is far brighter than any lume including seiko and tritium. You can get 4 20 to $ 30 with back light also at walmart or target. I don't mind changing the battery more often. If it is a 5 year battery you may only get a few years it that if you use the light feature a lot. Batterys are cheap and easy to replace. The price is right also. If you break the watch you are not out big $. I would like to see a bracelt version if they have one with curved lugs etc.:-!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts