WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all I have a budget to stay of £200 or just a bit more.

I go caving, mountaineering and diving along with the bumps of life, and as you can imagine that means constant ware and tear for my watches.

I have looked at a Casio mudman G9300-1 but there seems to be a problem with the battery life along with the tough solar panels. I wouldn't mind an ABC+T watch, but I do need it to be super tough to withstand, grime, dust, water pressure and large knocks and I need a watch that doesn't need any maintenance (a long battery life, or tough solar panels)

Do you know of any watch that falls within my budget and could withstand the sports I do? And do you know if these rumors about the mudman G9300-1 battery life are true or not?

·
Premium Member
39,789 Posts
I've moved this thread to our G Shock forum. Hopefully you will get plenty of answers here.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,322 Posts
First let me say that almost every G will fit your use case. :)

So now some of the Special requirements:
Long battery life or Solar:
Both have their pros and cons. Maintenance free also means no Need to adjust the watch. That means atomic is preferable and that implies solar too. ;-)
Since you wanna pay in Pound you life probably in UK. So there is a time Signal available

In my life during rough activities i prefer watches which are smaller because of having it under the sleeve or gloves.
One affordable model that covering it all might be that one (GW-M5600/5610):

Larger Gs are easier catched by obstacles but have a more recessed bezel for Crystal protection.
This one is also solar atomic (GW-6900)

If you like to have a Long battery life but not atomic then you can go for one of the models with large capacity batteries:
Low Profile G-7700/7710

Higher Profile G-2900

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I have looked at a Casio mudman G9300-1 but there seems to be a problem with the battery life along with the tough solar panels. I wouldn't mind an ABC+T watch, but I do need it to be super tough to withstand, grime, dust, water pressure and large knocks and I need a watch that doesn't need any maintenance (a long battery life, or tough solar panels)

Do you know of any watch that falls within my budget and could withstand the sports I do? And do you know if these rumors about the mudman G9300-1 battery life are true or not?
As with any new technology, there are occasionally bumps in the road with a lot of new cars, new computers, new phones AND with some new G-Shock models. Some of Casio's EARLIEST solar/atomics had problems with bad rechargeable batteries, but I thought they had that cleared up before they introduced the G9300. There have been a few other hiccups with other models, including decorative screws falling out on one model, and bad "auto light" switches on two models, but for the most part Casio builds pretty good products AND they address any problems that come along.

I'm not sure where you heard about the problems with the G9300 (or how many different sources) but here's a thread with about 450 posts, counting happy G- and GW-9300 owners: https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/9300-owners-lets-get-official-count-612783.html

If you really want an ABC+T watch, check out the GW-9400 Rangeman -- it's as tough as any other G-Shock out there (200m water resistance, same levels of shock-proof-ness, etc.) and like most other G-Shocks it's available for far less than the suggested retail price. Here in the US recently it's been selling for right around $200 USD.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think that a mudman would be a great choice. Even the old g9000 module is an amazing choice that gives the ticks in your boxes - slimmer profile also compared to the later version.
Another option to consider is the gulfman. Especially the later models that include tough solar, titanium case back, etc

ABC it'll be hard to look past the rangeman.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everybody,

It is nice of you to reply so quickly and I think that because my price range has just upped a bit I will go with a rangeman as I like it's shape, I know it will be tough and I think it will be a bit of fun along with being a tool.

Thank you

The_Watch_I_Seek

1 - 8 of 8 Posts