WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am new to the watch world (and this forum), but having recently graduated college, I decided to splurge on a little graduation gift for myself and bough an Oceanus OCW-T2600B-1AJF online from Japan (I live in Canada). I love the watch and have been thinking of getting it for a while now, so I was ecstatic when I was finally able to hold it in my hands. Everything about the watch works great except for the "atomic wave" syncing. I've left it on my counter overnight near a window, performed the manual sync procedure outside at night, and basically tried everything that I've read in the instruction manual as well as some posts on this forum, but it never seems to sync. When I perform the "check" procedure to see if it has synced, it will always point to N, indicating that syncing failed. I live in a detached house in the suburb north of Toronto, so I think that I should be within the Fort Collins radio range, and there aren't any tall buildings blocking my way. Do you guys think this a defective watch, or is it just unlucky that I live in a location where it can't sync? Any help would be appreciated. I bought this watch purely because I liked its looks, but I would like to have a functioning watch.

On a side note, I've read that atomic watches are a gimmick. Is this in the sense that they are unreliable, or that they are just something unnecessary to drive up the price of the watch?

·
Registered
97 Posts
You could try the free Junghans app to synchronize your watch to the speaker of a smart phone. My understanding is the Casio Oceanus watch is not an intrinsically high accuracy quartz watch and requires frequent radio synchronization to display accurate time.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Have you set the correct timezone? Many radio-controlled watches will not sync unless the timezone matches the radio transmitter (ie if the home timezone is set to Japan it will not sync with the US transmitter).

I am not familiar with this model. Is it sold in Japan only? If so, are you sure it's able to receive the US signal?

And even if all is correct, the time signals are very faint and easily jammed by surrounding electronics. You could, as already advised, try to sync using one of the available smartphone apps (Junghans for instance) to check that everything is ok. Then try to find a place (preferable near a window and far from electronics) where you can get a good signal.

Radio sync is great when it works. But it's easily defeated unless you live near the transmitter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could try the free Junghans app to synchronize your watch to the speaker of a smart phone. My understanding is the Casio Oceanus watch is not an intrinsically high accuracy quartz watch and requires frequent radio synchronization to display accurate time.
Hmm, I'll definitely check this out. This is the Junghans MEGA app on the Android play store? If the watch itself relies on the radio synchronization to keep accurate time, that would mean that this is an essential function of the watch? I had thought that it would be accurate enough by itself without the synchronization, but this is somewhat concerning.

Have you set the correct timezone? Many radio-controlled watches will not sync unless the timezone matches the radio transmitter (ie if the home timezone is set to Japan it will not sync with the US transmitter).

I am not familiar with this model. Is it sold in Japan only? If so, are you sure it's able to receive the US signal?

And even if all is correct, the time signals are very faint and easily jammed by surrounding electronics. You could, as already advised, try to sync using one of the available smartphone apps (Junghans for instance) to check that everything is ok. Then try to find a place (preferable near a window and far from electronics) where you can get a good signal.

Radio sync is great when it works. But it's easily defeated unless you live near the transmitter.
Well, since I'm in Toronto, I've set the time zone to match that of NYC. The watch is indeed only sold in Japan, but it should be able to work internationally. According to the manual, there is a broadcast station in Fort Collins in Colorado, and its signal encompasses most of Canada (including where I live). There are apparently 6 stations providing Wave Ceptor signals for NA, EU, JP, and CN regions. I will take a look at the app and hopefully that helps. Thanks for your help, guys.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If the watch is designed to be able to catch all 6 stations, then all is good. There are, or used to be, some watches only able to receive the Japan signal.

Regarding the accuracy there's no need to get concerned: your watch is powered by a regular quartz movement good enough, without sync, for a few seconds per month. With radio sync every night it would always stay within 1 second of atomic time and automatically adjust for DST.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see... Well, I've contacted Casio to see if they have any insight into this. I've tried using Junghans and a couple other watch sync apps, but they still don't seem to work. The watch indicates that it is receiving the signal, but every time it resumes operation and I check, it indicates that the sync failed. I guess in the end if it doesn't work, it'll just be a plain pretty watch, eh? I was really hoping that I wouldn't have any issues with it though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, update: the sync worked with this app called WWVB emulator on the play store. However, the sync seems to be ~1.5 s behind the actual time reading on the app as well as on time.gov. I'm just glad that the watch isn't broken though and is able to receive a signal. Curse my unfortunate locale then for receiving a weak signal :(

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Is it a BlueTooth watch, and if so, did you pair it with your phone?

I don't know how reliable the signal is in Toronto, but that's pretty far away, though a bit closer than me (in Florida). My watches sync reliably almost every night. I'd guess 98% of the time.

It could all kinds of factors including what's in your walls. Have you tried different rooms in the house / apartment / dwelling?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it a BlueTooth watch, and if so, did you pair it with your phone?

I don't know how reliable the signal is in Toronto, but that's pretty far away, though a bit closer than me (in Florida). My watches sync reliably almost every night. I'd guess 98% of the time.

It could all kinds of factors including what's in your walls. Have you tried different rooms in the house / apartment / dwelling?
No, I don't think it's a BlueTooth watch. There wasn't any mention of BT, at least, AFAIK. The app that I used to sync it just outputted a high pitched signal and with humming and clicks. I haven't left my house in a while, but I've tried the watch in different rooms next to windows. I'll probably take it outside tonight past midnight to see if it's just daytime interference or my walls that are messing things up.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The reason the WWVB sync is off from
Okay, update: the sync worked with this app called WWVB emulator on the play store. However, the sync seems to be ~1.5 s behind the actual time reading on the app as well as on time.gov. I'm just glad that the watch isn't broken though and is able to receive a signal. Curse my unfortunate locale then for receiving a weak signal :(
The reason the WWVB sync is off from time.gov is because that app uses the phone time and not actual atomic time. The Junghans MEGA app does use atomic time server time, so try it again for a more accurate time sync. Positioning the watch correctly next to the speaker and getting the volume set right can determine how well the apps work.

Another thing to try on getting a direct radio sync from CO is to hang the watch from a largish metal object like a bicycle or curtain rod, preferably on the side of the house toward CO. I live on the US east coast and my Casio Lineage doesn't sync easily but if I hang it from a large curtain rod the manual sync works. At night I hang it from a hook on a metal picture frame and it syncs an average of 4-5 nights a week, which is more than good enough. I've had it go for as long as 5 days without a sync and the time was still off by less than 1/10th second, so the quartz movement should be quite good on your Oceanus. One thing that appears to influence whether mine syncs or not is the weather between me and CO. I haven't deciphered exactly what patterns work or don't but often when fronts come through it will change whether it syncs. So give it a week to 10 days and see what your sync ratio is. And RC watches definitely are not a gimmick. That just sounds like a snob mechanical watch owner who's jealous of the accuracy. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info! I retried it with Junghans this time, and it worked as well! I think in a worst-case scenario, I'll just use this app every month or so and leave it.

Another thing to try on getting a direct radio sync from CO is to hang the watch from a largish metal object like a bicycle or curtain rod, preferably on the side of the house toward CO. I live on the US east coast and my Casio Lineage doesn't sync easily but if I hang it from a large curtain rod the manual sync works. At night I hang it from a hook on a metal picture frame and it syncs an average of 4-5 nights a week, which is more than good enough. I've had it go for as long as 5 days without a sync and the time was still off by less than 1/10th second, so the quartz movement should be quite good on your Oceanus.
I've also read about this hanging method on some forums. I tried hanging it on my curtain rod last night, but I guess it wasn't facing the right direction or something, because it didn't work. I might try it again tonight on a different curtain rod. Anyway, thanks for the tips! You've all been such great help.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I've also read about this hanging method on some forums. I tried hanging it on my curtain rod last night, but I guess it wasn't facing the right direction or something, because it didn't work. I might try it again tonight on a different curtain rod. Anyway, thanks for the tips! You've all been such great help.
Another trick that works for some... wear the watch to bed. Your body is the antenna. :)

I found that my watches tend to sync reliably as a GROUP than if I separate them. No kidding. Can't explain it. But, there it is. So maybe you just need more watches? 🤪 🤭

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another trick that works for some... wear the watch to bed. Your body is the antenna. :)
I hung it up on a doorknob to my balcony yesterday, and it synced! Maybe I'll try wearing it as well to test it out. Tried a manual sync in my backyard facing Colorado at 3 AM, but that didn't work and failed after 8 minutes of waiting :(

I found that my watches tend to sync reliably as a GROUP than if I separate them. No kidding. Can't explain it. But, there it is. So maybe you just need more watches? 🤪 🤭
Haha you might be onto something. Guess I'll have to be in the market for some more watches! Jokes aside, I'd really love to have a collection sometime in my future... I guess this is the start of my obsession?

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Tried a manual sync in my backyard facing Colorado at 3 AM, but that didn't work and failed after 8 minutes of waiting
I've NEVER gotten a manual sync to work, regardless of what time it was... including after midnight.

I'd really love to have a collection sometime in my future... I guess this is the start of my obsession?
Run! Run far! Run fast! LOL! But, yeah... you're quite likely quite screwed! 😁

My plan was to buy ONE Casio last July. And, I did... the GST-S300 in stealth black. I was happy with it.

And, then... this happened. I'm blaming the unconstitutional COVID shutdowns. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! 🤪

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
I hung it up on a doorknob to my balcony yesterday, and it synced! Maybe I'll try wearing it as well to test it out. Tried a manual sync in my backyard facing Colorado at 3 AM, but that didn't work and failed after 8 minutes of waiting :(
For the best reception, be sure to point the 12 o'clock portion of the watch toward Colorado. On this model (and many other Casios), the loop antenna is located here.

Reactions: Dxnnis

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
I've NEVER gotten a manual sync to work, regardless of what time it was... including after midnight.
This depends on how far you live from the transmitter. In So Cal, about 870 miles from Fort Collins, I can do a manual sync most of the time, even in the middle of the day. I just did so on my GW-2310, and it took about four minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And, then... this happened.
WOW, that is an impressive collection! Do you have a set routine for which one to wear on a given day, or is it just a pick and choose based on mood type thing? Any favourites?

For the best reception, be sure to point the 12 o'clock portion of the watch toward Colorado. On this model (and many other Casios), the loop antenna is located here.

View attachment 15885866

This depends on how far you live from the transmitter. In So Cal, about 870 miles from Fort Collins, I can do a manual sync most of the time, even in the middle of the day. I just did so on my GW-2310, and it took about four minutes.
Yeah, I tried this, but I only have north and south facing windows that aren't blocked by the neighbouring house, and I haven't had any luck with them (except for yesterday night). I'm about 2135 km (1326 miles) from Ft. Collins, but I haven't been able to get the watch to sync manually to that signal yet. It worked with the Junghans app yesterday, but subsequent attempts with that app have failed. I guess it really is just going to have to be trial and error for me to figure out what works.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
or is it just a pick and choose based on mood type thing?
It's random... whatever strikes my fancy at the moment.

Any favourites?
Definitely. If I could only keep one, it would be the ProTrek PRW-50Y.

The Analog Frogman is another favorite. The GW-5000 is a sweet Square.

I also really like my vintage pieces: GW-2500, G-011D "Cube," and my G7800 "Super Square."

I also like my Bulovas... the Lunar Pilot and Sea King. Those 262 kHz quartz movements are slick.

The Hamilton PSR (LED re-issue) is retro-cool.

I'm also enjoying my new Lum-Tec 300M-3, and I'm anxiously anticipating the arrival of two more pre-ordered Lum-Tecs.

I'm a sick puppy!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
And thus the inevitable irritations of any "connected" watch, whether shortwave, GPS or Bluetooth. I wish Casio would make a standalone thermocompensated module to within 5 SPY or better. They certainly have the aptitude to do so.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts