WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
You will find that some times the signal is hit or miss. I usually have my watches sync near a window facing Colo. They easily sync but these past 2 weeks none has gotten as signal.

Perhaps the transmitter is not putting out a super strong signal right now?

In any case the watch will be reasonably accurate without the sync. I actually don't really care if it syncs each night or not as long as it syncs when I need it to most to sync (at the start of DST and at the end of DST)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I hung it up on a doorknob to my balcony yesterday, and it synced! Maybe I'll try wearing it as well to test it out. Tried a manual sync in my backyard facing Colorado at 3 AM, but that didn't work and failed after 8 minutes of waiting :(

Haha you might be onto something. Guess I'll have to be in the market for some more watches! Jokes aside, I'd really love to have a collection sometime in my future... I guess this is the start of my obsession?
The transmitter in Colorado will struggle to cover you in Canada, depending on where you are in Canada it will be hit and miss and possibly mostly miss. You can see the signal area at Casio's website Multi Band 6 - Watch Technologies | CASIO the inner ring is where reception is expected and the actual transmitters designed coverage area, and the outer ring is possible if you are lucky, with the odds worsening the further you are away from the center. These watches contain a very small antenna so really favour a good signal and become less reliable outside those marked inner areas.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It worked with the Junghans app yesterday, but subsequent attempts with that app have failed. I guess it really is just going to have to be trial and error for me to figure out what works.
I had good luck with the phone sync apps when I placed the watch face down with the 12 over the speaker. Also the Junghans app crashes my phone if the volume is turned all the way up, but that's likely just an issue with overloading the speaker circuit on my phone. Works fine syncing my Lineage with the volume about 3/4, and I can easily hear the clicks.

At least it worked on that doorknob so you know one spot to hang it. You only need to a sync once a week or two to keep it very accurate.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had good luck with the phone sync apps when I placed the watch face down with the 12 over the speaker. Also the Junghans app crashes my phone if the volume is turned all the way up, but that's likely just an issue with overloading the speaker circuit on my phone. Works fine syncing my Lineage with the volume about 3/4, and I can easily hear the clicks.

At least it worked on that doorknob so you know one spot to hang it. You only need to a sync once a week or two to keep it very accurate.
It's not about hearing the clicks, that is just a side effect of high volume and switching high frequency sounds on and off with a cheap amplifier and speaker in a typical smart phone. These apps work using harmonics. They produce a 20KHz audio sine wave which few of us can hear and even fewer phones can produce out the speaker, but the signal is there. One of the harmonics of 20KHz (3rd harmonic) is 60KHz which is one of the typical frequencies used and this leaks out as a very weak radio wave. To the watch this looks like the carrier of the time transmitter if close enough to it. The phone turns on and off this sound for set times, which results in the audio circuitry clicking (not particularly good for the phone or its speaker), and this replicates the on/off keying of the usual radio signal and so tricks your watch into receiving a time signal. Very clever.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's not about hearing the clicks, that is just a side effect of high volume and switching high frequency sounds on and off with a cheap amplifier and speaker in a typical smart phone. These apps work using harmonics. They produce a 20KHz audio sine wave which few of us can hear and even fewer phones can produce out the speaker, but the signal is there. One of the harmonics of 20KHz (3rd harmonic) is 60KHz which is one of the typical frequencies used and this leaks out as a very weak radio wave. To the watch this looks like the carrier of the time transmitter if close enough to it. The phone turns on and off this sound for set times, which results in the audio circuitry clicking (not particularly good for the phone or its speaker), and this replicates the on/off keying of the usual radio signal and so tricks your watch into receiving a time signal. Very clever.
Yes, I understand. I only mentioned the clicks because it's a way to tell if the volume is sufficient for the signal to be strong enough for the watch to pick it up. My experience is the watch must be positioned correctly and very close to the speaker. My assumption is the higher the volume indicated by the audible clicks the stronger the radio signal and the better chance of the watch picking it up.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I live in the US south, also on the edge of the CO signal and find sync does not hit every night but often enough to stay on the second. I always figured is was sort of like AM radio where weather and atmospheric conditions can have a big impact on whether you get a station or not.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts