WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I was looking to buy a Casio MDV106-1A but came across an Orient SUNE3004B0 online and was quite impressed with it's looks as well. The dial is larger, the overall build from photographs online also seems really well crafted. I'm a little confused on which one to go for. I have actually wanted to own a MDV106 for quite a while now but now that I have seen the Orient it does seem like a solid contender as well. I have never owned an Orient watch personally before so was wondering if I should buy it over the Casio or not?

I will be buying the Casio from the US and since I'm in India it will come to around $73 shipped. The Orient I can buy locally in India at $100 roughly.

For reference, this is the Orient SUNE3004B0 I saw:
� Orient Watch Made in Japan � SUNE3004B0 � Men's Diver Watch ☀ 20 Bar ☀ | eBay

Regards, Black_Hawk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the Orient does in fact look better than the MDV106 which is why I'm really thinking if I should go for it instead!

The SKX007 is not available in India and importing it would make it really expensive.

Reactions: Drumguy

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
Orient looks very nice, blows the casio out of the park looks wise and orient make great watches as do casio, both very reliable and bulit to last same as all japanese watches.
Its a good size too, 49mm is big, so if you have a small wrist id buy the Seiko skx007 or an orient mako.
cheers

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
This query is very close to being an apples or oranges question.
I have the MDV106 and the Black Mako.
The 106 is more accurate in my own testing. But IMO the Mako
has a more pleasing appearence.
Which to buy? BOTH!!!!!
Price of both not Budget Busters or game enders

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I own the MDV 106 and it's a great watch for the money. I also own an Orient Black Ray which is a little above the quartz price but you do get an automatic movement. As far as comparing the Orient to the Casio the lume on the Orient is 10 times better but both are finished quite well.

Attachments

Reactions: Domo and Paulo 8135

·
Registered
11,879 Posts
The Orient is listed as having a 49mm case and 24mm strap - that is huge. Make sure that is what you want if you choose the Orient.

·
Registered
11,879 Posts
It may not be heavy - it's quartz on a rubber strap and 10mm thick. So physical weight may not be an issue, it's visual weight and comfort that would concern me.

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
Skip the quartz dial Orient. If you can get an Orient Mako or Ray, that would be worth the extra money. As it stands-- it's a quartz Orient with no lume pip... and very big. I don't think it's really necessarily worth the extra.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Jeez - I own both of those watches.

I'd say the Orient, but only because of its auto movement, and it's also likely to be more water resistant. However ... the Casio really isn't bad, and it's a legit diver at the lowest price you can find one for. It's close though. Two good budget choices tho, to be sure.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I own an MDV106 and I use it as my work beater. The specs for this watch are pretty unbelievable considering the price range of less than $50 cdn (120 click bezel, screw in crown, etc). I'm very happy with the watch.

However, I do like the aesthetics of the Orient more. I like the more aggressive cogged bezel versus the scalloped bezel of the Casio.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of the 49mm case diameter. A quick google search shows that model for sale as being quoted between 39mm-49mm so i'm not sure what the exact sizing is. I doubt it is 49mm as I was under the impression that Orient's largest case is a 46mm used on the speedster. It's something worth looking into. Perhaps if you purchase the Orient you could update us on the actual sizing?

I would also be curious about the pricing an orient Mako or Ray in your area. The price that you're quoting could get you a Mako, Mako XL, Ray, or Raven, where I'm located. If given the oppurtunity I would chose Orient's automatic offerings over the quartz version.

Happy shopping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts