WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Casio Pro Trek guidance needed

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Madventure 
#1 ·
As an avid outdoorsman I wouldn't mind a solar powered watch with compass function. After Garmin, G-Shock and Suunto who all couldn't please me for various reasons I'd like to understand the lineup of Pro Trek better. Especially the smaller sizes and/or newer versions.

There's so much on offer and prices vary wildly online. I don't want to buy an older model where technology may have been surpassed since.

Which are the newer smaller watches? What are the key features to look for? Do they all come with solar? And easy to use compass would be a key requirement.

The lineup is confusing. Who can introduce me? Location is Europe since I believe that matters. Thanks.

#3 ·
Probably, all the information you'll need. Use Google translate:

#4 ·
There are two distinctive classes: Gen 2 Sensor and Gen 3. Gen 2 has 30 second compass function (compass works for 30 seconds and stops) and Gen 3 (has it for 60 seconds). After given time it stops but you can press button again and continue to use it.

Almost all triple/quad sensor models have bearing memory so you can set some bearing and see it on the compass.

there are dual layer older Gen2/1 models like one in video

But compass don't work for long.

All gen 3 models have it on outer side by the bezel like in this video. Gen 3 models are faster to process information and far more accurate and responsive.

There is no functional difference between models with same generation of sensor, apart form how they display data: analog/digital or digital only. Positive LCD, negative LCD etc. Size does not matter either. Smaller models have same sensors as bigger ones.

Frankly Garmin is offering far more useful compass functionality and you can get Instinct for very reasonable price.

what is your budget?

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice. Is the PRW-3500 an older generation watch then? Is it succeeded by the PRW-3510?
Budget will depend on the functionality offered I suppose. If the price is justifiable and such.

Garmin Instinct (non solar, hence battery anxiety) feels like overkill with its multitude of profiles and variations. My profile is simple: outdoors navigation. Not tracking laps or anything fancy. Show me elevation and bearing. It's not a 'smartwatch' in how I use it. It's not a sportswatch or step counter or anything either for me. Basically I approached the Garmin as a 20year old Suunto with a better screen and baked in GPS. I got lost with the profiles. That's on me I'm sure.
Hence trying my luck with Pro Trek. Navigation is all it's going to be used for. I take it no GPS model just yet for Pro Trek?

#7 ·
PRW3510 is just a newer version of 3500.

They're both have gen 3 sensors. 3510 has a better screen--STN or super twisted nematic, which improves visibility at the extreme angles, as well as visibility for negative display variants.

3510, 3100, and new 30, are exactly the same, except for the size.

As an owner of Garmin Instinct, I have to say that Garmin left Casio far behind in respect to watch for outdoorsmen.

Edit: I have no experience with Casio smart watches, therefore I don't have opinion on them.

With that being said, Casio Protreks are still fine and relevant watches.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#10 · (Edited)
Rocket explained the difference between V2 and V3 sensors very well. As for models line up, you have to see at least 2 different Casio sites to see the full line-up for Protrek. The number of available models varies between region to region.

It's actually very simple. Depending on whether you want Digital or Analog-Digital, you can eliminate half of the line up. As you will see, there are many overlapping models with little or no difference in functions, but only differ in exterior designs. There are also many models that I think are going out of production.

Digital:
There are still older models with the V2 sensors. For example: PRG-240, PRG-250, PRG-260, PRW-2500. PRG has no Radio Control, whereas PRW has Radio Control. All the rest of the functionalities are very similar. The only functional difference: the 240 and 260 have sunrise/sunset time; the 250/2500 have moon phase and tide. 240 is 100 meter WR, 250/2500 and 260 are 200 meter WR. All of these are very old and I think they are phasing out of production, but you can still find new ones depending on your region.

Then there are models with the V3 sensors. For example: PRG-270, PRG-300/330, PRW-3000/3100, PRW-3500/3510, and PRW-30. The 3500/3510 are 200 meter WR, all the rest are 100 meter WR. The 270, 300, 330, 3000 and 3500 have no STN display. With the exception of 330, all the rest in this group are older models and I think are phasing out of production. 3100 and 3510 have STN display, which improves the viewing angle. These two I think are also phasing out of production, and slowly becoming higher price and harder to find for a new one. The PRW-30 is new, it's slightly smaller and has quick release spring bars. It has not been released in US yet, but available in other regions. Regardless of which one you choose, all of them have basically the same functions! None of them has moon / tide, all of them provide triple sensors and sunrise/sunset time. The only difference being exterior design.

Analog-Digital:
Casio was going in favor of analog watches started a few years ago for G-Shock, and the same trend extended to Protrek. Over the last few years we have many analog models, such as: PRW-6000/6100, PRX-8000, PRW-7000, PRW-6600, PRG-600/650, PRW-50/60/70, PRT-B50/70, and PRW-6800. Casio is doing themselves a disservice in coming up with so many overlapping models. Rest assure all of them share very similar functions, as they are all using the V3 sensors. The 6000/6100 was once very popular, but I think are going away. The PRW-7000 has moon age and tide, and I think is also phasing out of production. The PRX-8000 is the most expensive model, but has the exact same functions as the 6000/6100. The 6600, 600, 650, 50, 60 and 6800 are all the same watches with different styles, with the two digits models being smaller. The PRW-70 is a smaller version of PRW-7000. The PRT-B50/70 models are Bluetooth connect models, and the only ones with no solar charging.

#14 ·
Digital:
There are still older models with the V2 sensors. For example: PRG-240, PRG-250, PRG-260, PRW-2500. PRG has no Radio Control, whereas PRW has Radio Control. ........ All of these are very old and I think they are phasing out of production, but you can still find new ones depending on your region.
fyi, new models of the prg240 were released last year.

#13 ·
Let me add a few more points.

First, I missed a group of Protrek models, the WSD-F10 / 20 / 30 model line. That's Casio's attempt in entering the smart watch market for competing with other GPS smart watches (Garmin, Suunto, etc). Oddly, they omitted the listing of these models in their websites (see links in my last post). That shows these are probably going out of production. However, you can still find these in retails, but they are not cheap. Casio basically failed to compete in this segment of the market and these models likely didn't sell well. So yes, if you want a smart GPS watch with ABC (Altimeter / Barometer / Compass) function, look elsewhere! Like Rocket said, get a Garmin, as they are the leader in this segment.

Secondly, there are also a heap of older Protrek models, older than the ones I mentioned in my last post. If you are into collecting classic Protreks, look to the used market for those. They also go under the older Pathfinder name, before the series was renamed to Protrek.

Thirdly, to answer your question on the PRW-30, I think they do have STN display according to other sources and pictures available. So viewing angle should be great for those. Also I just realized there is also the cheaper PRG-30 model line, which has not radio control and probably not STN. For moon age and tide, the PRW-70 has those, but it's an analog. No new digital model has those, unfortunately.

That all I can think of for now. Good luck with finding the right ABC watch!

#19 · (Edited)
All WSDs 10-30 are out of production. These to be found on ebay are too costly for what they are. WSD21 is also not in production and good luck trying to find it. Considering miserable battery life of about 1 day or less if you use GPS or they are old model/used watch they are really hard to recommend. Frankly whole thing it's more of what if. If you really into serious hiking you will get something like Garmin topo GPS or Garmin watch. Both come with proper compass, maps, altimeter (barometric) and very well built for this purpose. I used PRW3100 and though it is great watch (at whooping price at the time) i ended up using phone with all maps, sensors and power bank. It sure fun to search for perfect watch but i would call Casio ABC watch a back up plan and fun and fine watch.

#20 ·
I have a Garmin Instinct and find it too complicated in the field when you just want fast access to ABC or even guidance to a waypoint. It feels like the software interface was a tradeoff towards sportswatch / smartwatch when really it should have been an outdoor watch first. Otherwise a good watch especially since it has solar now (mine doesn't).

#22 ·
I'd been looking at the PRG-30 for it's smaller (for a ProTrek) size, cleaner profile, STN display, and support of all the basic ProTrek functions.

Also I believe the lugs let you can use after market straps with no adapter, so even though the stock strap seems quite nice you could swap them out and have a TREKKING STRAP MONSTER!! XD

#23 ·
I'm still looking for a suitable model. Only so much available in EU or USA though. I do believe I've narrowed it down to one of the newer smaller models, with that improved LCD/font and then with/without the radio signal, which appears to be the main difference.
At first i was steering away from the analog-digital hybrids but warming up the the 50 series with Arabic numerals, giving off a bit of that field watch vibe especially with significantly reduced diameter.
Question though: should we expect a new announcement from ProTrek in the next month or so?
From the limited availability on both continents I may just have to order directly from Japan and eat the import tax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.