WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am looking at getting my first Casio. I have a couple of Seiko diver automatics, and while I like their legibility and lume, I am often outside banging things, which is a no-no for an auto.
I also do the odd bit of skiing, and travel overseas a bit, so the compass, and world time would be useful. I am torn between getting the Casio Protrek prg-110y with a black reversed LCD, or the same model with the normal lcd (the GB model, orange buttons).
I have heard that the reversed lcd can be difficult to read. I do not envisage needing the screen to be immediately legible in low light, as I am more likely to use it in the day working/playing, and in any case can always use the light.
I would appreciate any comments from owners of the black reversed lcd model with respect to the legibility of the screen in good light. That is, at a quick glance, can I tel the time and get other info easily? Would I be much better off with the normal lcd screen?

Thanks.

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Actually my experience is that the reverse display on this one is not bad at all. If the normal display has a visibility of 100%, I'd rate the reverse a solid 85%. :)

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The PRG-110Y-1VDR is one of the new and better negative displays, the large digits help with readability. I would say that the 110Y is almost as legible as a positive display in very bright conditions, indoors with artificial lighting it is not as readable as its positive counterparts, still legible and usable, however in low light, dawn, dusk dimly lit rooms etc you will need to use the EL light to view the watch.
If you need to use the watch in low light conditions frequently, look for a positive display negative displays are generally not suitable for military and or security forces, lines or work that involve night time activities.

Probably one one of the very few negative displays I would recommend as it is augmented by solar power so battery use is not a consideration.

This picture was taken by a window although the 110Y was not facing the direct sunlight, which is often the case when you see shots of negative displays, which tends to enhance the look of the display considerably.

Q-6

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
1. In my opinion, a (good) negative display is even better to read during daylight than a positive display. the blond digits on black background give a better contrast with much less reflection.

2. it is not as usable as a positive display indoors or in low light conditions though.

3. during night/no-light conditions it will beat a positive display again, because under such conditions one has to use the el-backlight anyway and the el-backlight of a negative display is way cooler and much more stealthy than that of a positive display.

so this makes actually 2:1 for a negative display. of course it all depends on the person who wears it, either being a more active outdoors person or more of an indoors/desk diver type. being the first type a negative display is IMO preferable, being the second type a positive display comes more in handy.

regards, holger

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great replies. I pulled the trigger on the prg-110y, reverse lcd. Should be here early next week. Now all I have to do is think about the band. i want to be able to wear it over clothes sometimes, like horse riding and skiing, so I will try to get some band adapters and another band, probably from another protrek model.
I hope I don't find a cheap Riseman out there, as they are starting to look good as well. Looks like I have a new addiction. At least I have stopped buying led torches for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts