WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

When did you purchase your Pro Trek? Let us know which model and if you still like it today.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 40.0%

Votes: 1 20.0%

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased this model, the PRW5100YT-1, for $539, exactly 4 years ago yesterday. As you most likely already know, there are other very similar models. The difference is that the PRW5100YT-1 has a black titanium band with white letters & numbers on the buttons and under the sapphire crystal around the bezel. Other models have titanium or resin bands; green letters, brown letters, or other colors. The resin band models are obviously less expensive. All other characteristics and functions of the 5100 series should be the same. My watch has been to Afghanistan with me twice, and I've worn it in other countries too.

Likes about my watch:
- It still runs and keeps accurate time.
- I never have to adjust it, unless I'm traveling in a different time zone. The MultiBand 6 still syncs, or attempts to sync, at midnight every night.
- I almost never have to adjust for DST. The MultiBand 6 still automatically adjusts for DST, as long as it is receiving the radio signal from an atomic clock. I noticed in the fall that it didn't adjust, probably because I slept in an apartment complex in a large city that night. So in the morning, I left my watch on the window sill while we went out for breakfast. When we came back, the watch had automatically "fallen back" to adjust for DST.
- I like watching out for weather changes by watching the barometer graph. The barometer and other functions still seem to be operational.
- The sapphire crystal remains unscratched and completely smooth.
- It isn't a dive watch, but I take it into the shower, and even swimming sometimes, with no problems.
- I never have to worry about replacing a dead battery or winding the watch.

Dislikes about my watch:
- The MultiBand 6 function doesn't work all throughout the world. I wore this watch on 2 Afghanistan trips, in 2 other countries in the Middle East; and in North America, and Europe. The MultiBand 6 didn't work in any of the places I visited in the Middle East. This is why I'm getting another GPS watch in the future, such as the Casio G-Shock GPW-1000-1B Gravitymaster or a GPS model by Seiko, Citizen, Suunto, etc.
- The watch appears much older than 4 years old now. Its black coating wore off of the case and the titanium band in many areas. (This is a warning to those who want to buy a watch with a black metal case finish and black titanium band: There are now scratch marks that reveal the underlying light titanium color all over the band. The wearing of the black finish began long ago. I assess that if I had bought a model with a resin band, the appearance MIGHT still be better 4 years later. I called an official Casio service center to see about refinishing the watch. They do not do refinishing, however they can replace the case and band, which are costly. They recommended that I have it refinished at a local watch or jewelry shop to save money, which is what I will do.)
- The white letters wore off of all of the buttons but one (Mode).
- The buttons and the parts that connect the case to the band seem to be made of plastic and scratched easily.
- The light doesn't make the digital display more legible in the dark. It actually casts a shadow onto the digital display.
- The 5 alarms are faint. Don't rely on this watch to wake you up if you're really tired.
- The hands often block the digital display between 4 and 8 o'clock. Some other watches have see-through hands.
- It isn't rated as water resistant for SCUBA diving. I wasn't shopping for a dive watch when I purchased this watch however.

This is the last watch that I will ever need ON LAND. If you frequently travel to areas that are not near one of the Multiband 6 atomic clocks, it will not sync on its own. It was no big deal to me because the watch still keeps time even when it doesn't sync. But if you want a watch that syncs every night in those areas, get a GPS watch. If you don't often travel far from the continental US or one of the other 6 atomic clocks, no big deal.

If you want to see photos of this watch when it was less than 2 years old, my Instagram is ZephyrNYC. Please contact me if you have any questions. Thank you.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Material property Metal Cameras & optics Camera accessory Lens Camera Camera lens Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Metal Hardware accessory Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Tire Strap Buckle Fashion accessory Metal Watch accessory Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal Wrist Jewellery

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that black finish gets beat up badly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does. When I was a teenager, I received a nice, but gold-plated watch as a present. I later told myself that I would never buy a plated watch, but look what I ended up doing :p

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
38,991 Posts
Looks like it has seen a very full and useful life. Nice review as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts