WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Casio’s G-shocks your first and your grail

Ok I have been intrigued by the G-shocks and I have noticed that they have A large following . Now that being said I want to pickup A couple and add them to my collection of time pieces but have no idea where to start. Now what was your first Casio keeper and what would you consider the Grail of G-shocks? Is there A trinity of Casio made watches that are A must have when starting A Casio collection?
I know in Rolex it has been for me the Submariner,Gmt2,and Gold Presidential as A holy trinity of sorts..now what would be Casio’s lineup or at least in your mind the best three to have ..any input is appreciated.
Roger

·
Registered
534 Posts
Re: Casio’s G-shocks your first and your grail

It's all a matter of taste, but if you had to represent formally, you at least need a Square and a Frog. Preferably a 5000 and a Final Frogman I would say.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts

The holy trinity depends on your tastes.

In Rolex, it has a lot to do with looks, specific feature, and variety.

For example:

- gold President = dress watch with day/date
- Submariner = pressure resistant with timing bezel
- GMTII = travel watch

With G-Shocks, there is some of that, but you can take for granted that any G-Shock is going to blow away any Rolex in the feature department. They're all 200m water resistant. They all have day, date, perpetual calendar, stopwatch, and alarm.

If I were to suggest a holy trinity of G-Shocks, here's what I'd pick for you:

• Original-style G-Shock, Model DW5600E. The original DW5000 had a threaded-in back, as Rolexes do, but a crappy light. This E model has a great light, and a screwed-on back (as opposed to screwed-in) Same WR rating, so the screwed-in back just makes battery changes harder. This model is thin (for a G-Shock) and can actually fit under a shirt sleeve. It has all the basic features, and a few great details not found in most modern G-Shocks: multi-function alarm (means you can program it to go off only on a certain date, etc.) and the time of day is visible when in the stopwatch and timer modes. Also, it has the auto-return to home screen feature, in which if you do anything in any of the other screens, the next press of the MODE button takes you right back home. These usually run $40-50. IMO, the GX5600 series and 5600J updated models lose some of these basic features in exchange for 5 alarms and atomic/solar sync. Skip these, get the 5600E. Consider this equivalent to maybe a recent production Submariner.
    http://www.casio.com/resource/images/xlarge/dw5600e-1v_xlarge.jpg
  • The second one can be any modern model with solar charging, atomic clock sync, and large time digits. Pick one with the features you like. I like the brand new, unreleased MTGM900 model on Casio's site.
    http://www.casio.com/resource/images/xlarge/mtgm900da-8_xlarge.jpg
  • The third one should (IMO) be a Pathfinder or Pro Trek, and not a G-Shock. Either a PAW-2000 or PRG-2500. Get the titanium bracelet, it is worth the money. These models both have the whiz-bang outdoorsy features, and big enough display that the time of day is always there. The compass' work great too. It's just a matter of whether you want moon phase and tide graph and a compass bezel, or sunrise/sunset data and a thinner profile. Both of these models are solar/atomic, so you could skip that altogether on the 2nd G-Shock.

2500:
    http://www.casio.com/resource/images/xlarge/prw2500t-7_xlarge.jpg

2000:
    http://www.casio.com/resource/images/xlarge/paw2000t-7_xlarge.jpg

·
Registered
13,980 Posts

I think my first keeper was this one (I sold all the others I bought before - started collecting in 2006):

These two are grails (at least in that condition):

And a square would always be good - I prefer the G-5500 over most other squares (except for the G-8000):

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
271 Posts

My first was the original and very first G-Shock - the DW5000. I got this back in the mid-80's (I know, I'm showing my age... :-d ).

My grail is probably always going to be changing as long as Casio keeps pumping out new models. But right now it would probably be the GWA1000. No Frogs for me. I just don't have any interest in them. :shrugs:

·
Registered
604 Posts

My first was the original and very first G-Shock - the DW5000. I got this back in the mid-80's (I know, I'm showing my age... :-d ).

My grail is probably always going to be changing as long as Casio keeps pumping out new models. But right now it would probably be the GWA1000. No Frogs for me. I just don't have any interest in them. :shrugs:
Ya know, I thought I needed a Frogman until I got one. It was huge and really it's features did nothing for me and I dive. I flipped it for a GW-A1030A and couldn't be happier. Have parted with all my other Gs except for the GWM5630A I just ordered (my first rectangle). I hope to survive solely on those two for a good while. ;)

·
Registered
6,220 Posts

My first keeper was my 2nd G-Shock: a king.

uploadfromtaptalk1355269643103.jpg

GX56

I think others have said it well, grail is definitely personal, especially within G-Shocks as their is soo much indiviaduality Casio caters to. So I'd recommend a "must own" and you have to decide whether or not you keep it and look for an eccentric version or not.

1. A square. (5000/5600/5610). Any version will do. Here's my first one (up to two now).

uploadfromtaptalk1355269837381.jpg

It happens to be solar and non-atomic. G5600KG-3

2. A 6900. Probably the highest volume body, though you can get as rare a version as you like. I only have one of these.

uploadfromtaptalk1355269942850.jpg

Again, this one happens to be solar and non-atomic. G6900KG-3.

3. A frogman. Any frogman (i still have not gotten around to one yet).

4. The current flagship is the GW-A1000's. I have one and looking to get a couple more.

uploadfromtaptalk1355270112057.jpg

These are solar and atomic. This one is the GW-A1000RAF.

Unfortunately, once you delve into G-Shocks you start to see Casio has made quite a few super cool watches. Some will ring truer to you than others. Thus starts your quest. ;)

·
Registered
3,045 Posts

It depends on what type of a buyer you are. Vintage, modern, small, big. Personally, a GW-5000 which has an all stainless steel body; an MRG-8100B which has no plastic on it; and down the line a DW-5000C, the first G-Shock.

GW-5000

704808d1336646346-what-kind-g-shock-do-you-like-most-gw-5000-1jf.jpg

741988d1340213738-what-gw-5000-case-made-gw-5000-1jf_5.jpg

MRG-8100B (titanium)

840012d1349488184-new-pick-up-mrg-8100b-ot-kindle-paperwhite-pic-heavy-img_0255.jpg

The first gshock dw-5000c

DW-5000C-1A.jpg

For divers: definitely get a frogman. If you like a smaller size get a dw-9900; atomic/solar GWF-1000.

The difference with gshocks is there are way more models and a lot of limited editions. If I could have a vintage one I would get a DW-5000C Honda F1 or a WW-5100C, but for sure a DW-5000C.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I am new to the game as well and have 4 in my weekly rotation, 3 squares two of them solar, all 5600's. One ani-digi solar multiband 6.

For collecting purposes which for me means that they will have little to no wear. I like to have a variety of G's that have a combination of features and cool colors to display. I like limited edition collaborations and the grail for me right now is the black Dee and Ricky (even the white) and the 30th anniversary Stussy.

·
Registered
316 Posts

I would say to start with the defining G-shock shapes... Frogman series, 6900 series, and 5600/5000 series.

·
Registered
271 Posts

Ya know, I thought I needed a Frogman until I got one. It was huge and really it's features did nothing for me and I dive. I flipped it for a GW-A1030A and couldn't be happier. Have parted with all my other Gs except for the GWM5630A I just ordered (my first rectangle). I hope to survive solely on those two for a good while. ;)
Maybe the indifference to Frogs is a Michigan thing. ;-)

I must say though the GWA1030A is NICE looking watch.

·
Registered
604 Posts

Maybe the indifference to Frogs is a Michigan thing. ;-)

I must say though the GWA1030A is NICE looking watch.
Possibly. My issue is that I never really liked the Frogmen and bought one simply because everyone else was so excited about them. Oh well, lesson learned.
I must agree with you regarding the GWA1030A. It is a drop dead gorgeous watch and the features are awesome! No uselessly short stop watch or anything like that.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts

My First: 2008 ICERC Gulfman
My Grail: NOS (And I do mean NOS--not even opened or touched by anyone) DW-5200

I don't think there can be any such holy trinity, because there are so many types of G-shocks....

·
Registered
207 Posts

I've owned those three Rolex ( and a few more ... ) so know where you are coming from. In my mind, there is only one Casio, let alone G Shock, that has anything close to the iconic status of either the Sub, GMT or Day-Date and that is the 5600 series. One of those, even the cheapest DW5600, is a genuine horological icon. I'm as happy wearing my DW5600 or my Sea Dweller or Speedmaster Pro.

The GW5000 pictured in an earlier reply is probably the most "WIS" of the currently-available 5600 style, but don't overlook the humble DW

TT

·
Registered
207 Posts

Addendum to the above. That watch is the DW5600-EG-9VS, bought NOS, originally intended for the South American market. I liked the gold lettering, gold-tinted display and buttons, which is how it differs from the "standard" DW5600. If you are a collector, and the point of this addendum, I would buy the Japan-market DW5600 with the word "Foxfire" in place of "Illuminator". It's just a little more authentic. Personally, I just like the look of the gold one :)

TT

·
Sinn Moderator
9,805 Posts

I got my first one in the mid-80's, an F-200. I did not buy another until a few months ago. Now there are 9 in my rotation (all solar/atomic models). Here is my first along with 8. The 9th, a GWM5610-1 arrived yesterday. My grail would be a RAF, but I think they are too expensive. Cheers, Bill P.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts