WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
img01.jpg

Tokyo, August 8, 2017 — Casio Computer Co., Ltd., will celebrate the 35th anniversary of its G-SHOCK brand in April 2018. To mark this milestone, Casio plans various activities, such as releasing commemorative and collaboration models, and organizing various events around the world. As the first step in this celebration, Casio announced today the release of BIG BANG BLACK, a commemorative collection of four G-SHOCK models featuring a new color, matte black.
G-SHOCK got its start when a Casio engineer decided to try to develop a watch that was virtually unbreakable in 1981. Rejecting the common sense that wristwatches were always fragile and easy to break, he took up the challenge of proving it wrong. After more than 200 prototypes, and a two-year development process, the first G-SHOCK model with a shock-resistant structure was released in 1983. Since that time, the brand has continued to evolve based on the brand concept of “Absolute Toughness.”
The BIG BANG BLACK collection, the first set of 35th anniversary models, employs a new kind of black, the symbolic color of the brand. The matte finish of the new base color was achieved using technology that incorporates particles into the paint, creating a flat black finish that seems to absorb all light. Contrasting with the matte black that evokes the state of emptiness before the origin of the universe, the bright gold color of the case back expresses the instantaneous mega explosion of the Big Bang. To mark the 35th anniversary of G-SHOCK, Casio is looking back to the origin of the brand, and has produced the BIG BANG BLACK collection to declare its commitment to continuing to create new value with G-SHOCK for years and years to come.
The case backs of these models are engraved with the G-SHOCK 35th anniversary logo designed by Eric Haze, a world famous graphic artist, while the metal band loops are emblazoned with a star emblem that represents 35 years. The phrase, “SINCE 1983” is featured on the dials, and special packaging has also been created to further enhance this very exceptional collection.

BIG BANG BLACK collection of four models
  • MUDMASTER GG-1035A: Dust and mud-resistant structure equipped with twin sensors for measuring direction and temperature
  • GA-735A: Three-dimensional dial and hands, as well as a large case for a dynamic look
  • GA-835A: Medium-sized case and 3-hand analog mode
  • GA-135A: Large case and precision face design

img02.jpg

img04.jpg

img05.jpg
GG-1035A-1A

img06.jpg
GA-735A-1A

img07.jpg
GA-835A-1A

img08.jpg
GA-135A-1A

TECH SPECS & FULL PRESS RELEASE: Casio to Release BIG BANG BLACK 35th Anniversary G-SHOCK Collection

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
And I still bleed from the nose to think I sold my 5530.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
983 Posts
I may end up with the 5035, but not sure I like the "since 1983" written on the dial, would have better on the case back.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I may end up with the 5035, but not sure I like the "since 1983" written on the dial, would have better on the case back.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
But does add value to the actual module, well face at least, rather than some easily swapped external. That idea I like. The execution is debatable.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I think these are the most attractive specials they've ever done. A bit off topic I know.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I think these are the most attractive specials they've ever done. A bit off topic I know.

What's the model on the left? Are there others with this case design, with the ridges on the sides? It has a great iconic '80s look. Like something a character in Aliens would have worn or something. Someone did post what I think is a similar one, but in orange. I'm curious!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
What's the model on the left? Are there others with this case design, with the ridges on the sides? It has a great iconic '80s look. Like something a character in Aliens would have worn or something. Someone did post what I think is a similar one, but in orange. I'm curious!

That was a 5530. But the std version is the 5500 model. Google that, lots of variants. Lovely piece, sits really well.a little bigger than a 5600 so for the bigger wrists it works really well.

My head aches that I sold mine.

Reactions: Sir-Guy

·
Registered
70 Posts
None of these are really getting my interest much. I like the color scheme, just not the watches themselves. A GWG1000 Mudmaster in this color scheme would have me excited and my wallet crying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
That was a 5530. But the std version is the 5500 model. Google that, lots of variants. Lovely piece, sits really well.a little bigger than a 5600 so for the bigger wrists it works really well.

My head aches that I sold mine.

I know it was a minor tangent—I appreciate it! Off to Google.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
This further consolidates my decision to opt for a GW5000. There is a reason why it's known as the King.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Big bang black??? Hublot is the first thing that comes to mind and not in a good way...

I'm going to pass up this first wave, but looking forward to future releases as part of the anniversary. Got money saved up and I'm ready for this!

1 - 20 of 245 Posts