WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I have a Casio Illuminator MTD-1079D-7A1V where a few days ago it stopped and the second hand was barely twitching - very hard to notice it. I thought 'ok, time to swap out its battery'. I replaced the LED and movement batteries (suggested to do both in the Casio manual) but the watch still doesn't work (LEDs work fine). Hmmm so I tried another battery - no go. I pull out the multimeter and confirm that the two new batteries are providing ~1.55v each, which is correct. The old one was ~0.9v when I checked. Oh, I forgot about the AC reset! I looked at the quartz movement and no AC marking so then I tried my Google-Fu. I couldn't find AC reset instructions for this watch/series. Is the movement shot? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here is a borrowed pic of the watch in question:
casio.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I do know some CASIO watches have to be shorted to start them after a battery change.Take it to a watchguy.Where are you In Illinois? The nearest watch repair guy should not be that far away not like here where I have to travel over 50 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do know some CASIO watches have to be shorted to start them after a battery change.Take it to a watchguy.Where are you In Illinois? The nearest watch repair guy should not be that far away not like here where I have to travel over 50 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Casio Illuminator MTD-1079

Anyone figured out how to do this AC reset without aid of special tools or going to a repairman? I can't do the latter, and mail from where I am takes 3 weeks one-way to get to the US. 6-7 weeks without a timepiece is not gonna work.

Have just replaced both batteries. Illuminator works, but insertion of new battery does not start the time keeping.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Casio Illuminator MTD-1079

Anyone figured out how to do this AC reset without aid of special tools or going to a repairman? I can't do the latter, and mail from where I am takes 3 weeks one-way to get to the US. 6-7 weeks without a timepiece is not gonna work.

Have just replaced both batteries. Illuminator works, but insertion of new battery does not start the time keeping.
Have you looked at your watch manual? I don't think special tools are required.
I think this should be it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you looked at your watch manual? I don't think special tools are required.
I think this should be it.
I am deployed over in the ME and did not think to pack my manual. The only one I can find on line is a simple one-pager from Casio about setting time and date functions.

I saw this video (thanks) but did not watch it completely previously. His representation would indicate simply plopping a new battery in on this model should start the time keeping function up. Not the case so far here, so I though there might be one a requirement for doing a AC function, shorting the system to jump start it. Perhaps there isn't, and I have a more serious problem. I brought spare batteries, been stored in cool dark place and expiration date on package is Dec 2021, have tried two separate batteries, and neither one starts it up again. I am not giving Casio money for another watch. Will continue to watch this site for any other responses on troubleshooting tips while waiting for Amazon to ship me more spare batteries in case the ones I brought along are prematurely deceased.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Take it back apart.
Make sure the light module is touching the movement below it. I cannot remember if there is a spring(s), or tab(s) that touch the movement below. Make sure whatever it is makes good contact. With the caseback off, manipulate the light module and see if it runs. In other words, crush it together a bit with your fingers.
This was years ago with a neighbors watch. My cell service is crap here, so I cannot search for you.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I am deployed over in the ME and did not think to pack my manual. The only one I can find on line is a simple one-pager from Casio about setting time and date functions.

I saw this video (thanks) but did not watch it completely previously. His representation would indicate simply plopping a new battery in on this model should start the time keeping function up. Not the case so far here, so I though there might be one a requirement for doing a AC function, shorting the system to jump start it. Perhaps there isn't, and I have a more serious problem. I brought spare batteries, been stored in cool dark place and expiration date on package is Dec 2021, have tried two separate batteries, and neither one starts it up again. I am not giving Casio money for another watch. Will continue to watch this site for any other responses on troubleshooting tips while waiting for Amazon to ship me more spare batteries in case the ones I brought along are prematurely deceased.
Ok , sorry .Thank you for your service. How are you taking the heat? July and August are the worst. I was over in Kuwait for seven months in 2009-10 arrived on Christmas eve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Take it back apart.
Make sure the light module is touching the movement below it. I cannot remember if there is a spring(s), or tab(s) that touch the movement below. Make sure whatever it is makes good contact. With the caseback off, manipulate the light module and see if it runs. In other words, crush it together a bit with your fingers.
This was years ago with a neighbors watch. My cell service is crap here, so I cannot search for you.
I don't really have any means to ensure that there is proper contact between the light module and the time keeping movement below. The light module works when I depress the intended button, but no movement at all with the sweep-second hand when I am 'crushing" the open back to try to ensure contact between modules. There is very little side-to-side wiggle or play in the lighting module when set into the casing, so I am pretty sure everything is set in as it should be.

There is one tiny spring protruding out of the bottom side of the black plastic shell which holds the light module. There are another 5 of so pinhole-sized holes with nothing extruding. I am left to wonder if another tiny part escaped when I first removed the upper module, in which case, Casio ought to trumpet cautions of such in, well, their non-existent on-line owner's manual.

The video someone posted for me earlier showed the time mechanism running with a new battery installed, but before the light module had even been replaced/re-set, so I am kind of hesitant to think 'crushing' or contact with the upper half makes any difference?

Thanks, the responsiveness here has been far more prompt and responsive than I imagined when first signing up.

I have been here for 7 years, this time, so while I hate the Summer, and cannot fathom why anyone moves to Arizona, much less my parents, I have a basis in experience to tell them,"no, I know full well I don't want to move down there with you." Kuwait is far worse with smothering humidity, and stronger, more persistent winds here. I'd do 5 Summers here before I'd have done one in any Gulf state.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,426 Posts
No battery tester at hand, and Amazon order of newer replacements is still two weeks out. Diplomatic mail takes 3 weeks from Chicago, and through Iraqi customs...
Don't take it as rude answer but there is no magic chant which will make your watch work without good working battery providing 1.55V to movement.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
No battery tester at hand, and Amazon order of newer replacements is still two weeks out. Diplomatic mail takes 3 weeks from Chicago, and through Iraqi customs...
Is their insulation below the battery? Under it? Maybe it fell out.
The movement. Not the light module.
Edit*** just looked at a picture online. It appears to be plastic under the battery.

I researched this a bit just now. A post I read somewhere claimed that leaving the battery out for ten minutes worked. I don’t know why it would, but you could try.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Take it back apart.
Exactly this ⬆

Had this same issue..light worked but movement did not after battery change in my illuminator.
After adjusting to ensure contact it worked fine ever since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is their insulation below the battery? Under it? Maybe it fell out.
The movement. Not the light module.
Edit*** just looked at a picture online. It appears to be plastic under the battery.

I researched this a bit just now. A post I read somewhere claimed that leaving the battery out for ten minutes worked. I don’t know why it would, but you could try.
I have removed the light module, and removed the out-of-the-package battery (exp date 12/2021) from the time keeping mechanism at the bottom. There is no insulation beneath the battery, but there is a tiny prong that is up-turned which I assume is the battery contact. I left the battery out for over 40 minutes, but when it was put back in, no movement observed of the sweep second hand on the watch face.

Thanks again, appreciate the responses. Will have to await the arrival of what I hope are fresher batteries in the mail, and try again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have removed the light module, and removed the out-of-the-package battery (exp date 12/2021) from the time keeping mechanism at the bottom. There is no insulation beneath the battery, but there is a tiny prong that is up-turned which I assume is the battery contact. I left the battery out for over 40 minutes, but when it was put back in, no movement observed of the sweep second hand on the watch face.

Thanks again, appreciate the responses. Will have to await the arrival of what I hope are fresher batteries in the mail, and try again.

Update - I received 5 'fresh' Maxell SR920SW batteries in the mail today, with an expiry date of 2024.

Plopped a fresh one into the time-keeping module, turned it over.....and nothing. No movement.

I guess I put it in a box, to save until I am in the US again someday, and go without or purchase another through the mail.

Thanks for the help thus far. If anyone come upon some kind of manual for this model, perhaps there is some explanation or schematic that might give me further ideas for gentle tweaks at contact points, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts