WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the last few weeks I have been going back and forth between a G-Shock and Protrek. I decided to focus on what features were most important to me, and the two the came up on the top of my list are moon phase/age and sunrise/sunset times. It there not a watch between the current Protrek and G-Shock models that include both of these features? I know the old Hunting and Fishing timer watches had these, but I can't find anything else. I have found plenty that have one feature or the other, but can't find a model with both. Thanks for any help / feedback.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
The SGW-500H has sunrise/sunset and moon age, but it doesn't have a moon phase graphic and it's not a G-Shock or a Protrek.

SGW-500H-2BV - Watches - CASIO

Like you, I wish Casio would make some G-Shocks and Protreks with both sunrise/sunset and moon phase.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
If Casio could do it with the apparently-discontinued PAS-400B Fishing Timer and PAS-410B Hunting Timer, both of which at one time sold for only about $30 U.S. (street price), you'd think they'd be able to do it in a more expensive G-Shock or Protrek.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
So in the past they had Gs that could show sunrise/sunset and moon phase for 10 locations, but today, with better processors, not even for one location. Pretty sad.
I doubt Casio's using better processors... May be for some recent ones, like smart / Bluetooth watches. Most of their watches are still using the same old chips from the same old parts bin! Sun, Moon and Tide data is very old stuff, I'm sure it hasn't been changed since the 80's.

It's just that their business practice's been changed: upmarket with more expensive analog watches; same time milk their existing tech dry with slight variations of the same, until there's no more. ;-)

Reactions: parv

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
By
I doubt Casio's using better processors... May be for some recent ones, like smart / Bluetooth watches. Most of their watches are still using the same old chips from the same old parts bin! Sun, Moon and Tide data is very old stuff, I'm sure it hasn't been changed since the 80's.

It's just that their business practice's been changed: upmarket with more expensive analog watches; same time milk their existing tech dry with slight variations of the same, until there's no more. ;-)
The Rangeman calculates sunrise/sunset times much faster than older models, so it must be using a faster processor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts