1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Nice looking. It would be great if these used metal cases like the vintage ones.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice looking. It would be great if these used metal cases like the vintage ones.
I know man probably too much to ask since they give us metal squares at the moment ;) but it's fine with me as they are.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
What a beautiful watch! I purchased the gold version with black bezels and switched out the wrist band to a black one instead.

It' so thin... only 6 mm and what striked me immediately was how legible the display is. Much better viewing-angles than any of my other digital watches. Probably due to its thinness, forcing the LCD to be right up there under the mineral glass.

This is now my favourite watch! :love:

·
Registered
380 Posts
I’m becoming convinced I am a connoisseur of these watches 😜

I was in Walmart today and a watch on the Casio spinner display caught my eye. I think it was the band that caught my attention first, but there was more to it than that. This watch wasn’t a 158 or 168 - no. There was something special about it.

I googled and read this write up as I stood there.

Yep. The display is crystal clear. There was a 168 to compare to and geez - the A700 makes the 168 look fuzzy in comparison.

The printed text is much less In Your Face - no all caps ILLUMINATOR here.

And since it didn’t say that, would it have the teensy light found in the F91 that only lights up the date? Nope! Instead a beautiful even orange glow lights up the face.

And that band. It reminds me of my fav digital watch growing up, which was a Seiko. The A700 has light bands around the display which also recall the Seiko for me. I really prefer the band to the bands that come on the 158 and 168.

And this beauty is at Walmart for under $25.

But I am downsizing my watch collection and would like to reach a point where what I have doesn’t merit being called a collection. I sold a Hamilton today - my sixth watch sold in the past two months. But still have too many, including three Casio digital watches (and a 158 on loan), so I let this one go. For now.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I went back and bought it.

There is just something about it. Ben of Ben’s watch blog is over the moon with this watch. I looked at the a168, considered the a158, among others, but this one has a “something”about it. And the legibility really is a plus. I never thought I would consider legibility as a factor with digital watches, but there is NO shadow of the digits and very little if any fade from different viewing angles. And I notice this advantage every time I look at it.

An unexpected issue was the band was a bear to adjust. I got the version with the dark surround and the link (not mesh) bracelet and getting the clip closed after sliding it to a different link was impossible with my fingers. I was careful to get it between links and even so I had to use pliers 😳 In the Q&As on Amazon several people complain of the same thing so I don’t think it’s my sample or anything I was doing wrong.

At any rate, it’s a beautiful watch. Looks bigger on wrist than an a158 or F91 and the light is awesome.

It feels like a special premium Casio but it came in at about the classic cheapie price ($25 at Walmart vs $20 for the a168). Well worth the difference IMHO.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Update. I returned the a700 today.

Like the 158 I had before, I just couldn’t get past it looking very small on me. I’m not large at 6ft tall with 6 3/4” wrists, but it just looks small when I wear it.

I got a 168 a few days ago and am very comfortable with it. It is also small by today’s standards, but it looks and feels fine on me size wise. It’s kind of a Goldilocks size - large enough to be proportional with me and small enough to have retro charm. Being $5 less and having 7 year (vs 3 year) battery life are pluses, but I would’ve kept the a700 if it didn’t look too small on me.

Each time I put the a700 on I did enjoy it. The band, the very clear display, no big text. But I would always take it off after a short while and put the 168 back on. Haven’t had the same “time to take it off” feeling with the 168 so it’s the one for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts