WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Casio's "Development Philosophy".....NOT "Triple 10"

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Tetsu Tekubi 
#1 ·
According to Casio's Baselworld webpage (currently empty of any new products) - BASELWORLD 2017 - CASIO - it claims that their development philosophy is "Casio Connected." This means, per the website, self-adjusting, self-updating, and self-charging. This is the first I've heard of that. A new philosophy, I guess?? An update to the old "Triple 10" concept? (been there, done that)

I'm happy to read this, as it suggests that g-shocks will continue to be solar-powered (at times), self-contained units that will not be following the smartwatch trend and require tethering for periodic re-charging.

So, self-charging = Tough Solar. Self-updating = Multiband 6, or GPS, I'm guessing. Self-adjusting???? I wonder if this refers to Tough Movement? Or something else?? :think:

Baselworld 2017 begins on the 23rd, so VERY SOON, we should be seeing new g-shocks and/or Proteks unveiled!! :-!:-!

#4 ·
I too generally prefer my Gs to be Tough Solar. But I can also see the appeal of Gs with standard batteries. Especially for those people whose watches won't see a lot of light -- e.g., vampires, werewolves, people who work at night, etc. etc. :-d

I do have some Gs that are non-solar. But some of them have 5 or 10 year batteries. I like those much better than the 2-3 year batteries. In general though, Tough Solar watches are so easy to keep charged that it's hard not to like them!!

Reactions: STavros78
#8 ·
They just need to add "self-repairing," like the liquid metal man from Terminator 2: Judgment Day, to satisfy the occasional detractors among us.
More technically, it's called Mimetic Poly-Alloy. Not to be confused with Super-Twisted Nematic Liquid Crystal. ;-)

Actually, I want it one more level than just liquid metal... I want my watches to be fully Self-Aware and connect directly to Sky Net! :-d

#6 ·
I do like Tough Solar watches and have quite a few of them, but I also have the following rationale in mind. Solar batteries according to f17 members usually will still need replacing in 15 years or so. Case in point is my beaten GW-200 from 2002 which can no longer get a full charge even after a 2-day sun bath. And it immediately goes to power reserve mode again on the 3rd evening after a full day of use, which means the 15-year theory is quite correct. On the other hand, my 7900 which wasn't claimed to have any special kind of battery is still running on its original one after 6 years (not counting the time it hung around before I purchased it) and folks here have reported that these "pleb batteries" can easily last a decade or more. So basically Tough Solar is a convenience, but it isn't really a major improvement over the normal batteries. Of course if next gen Casio watches start including GPS modules in the majority of the lineup then an alternative charging method like Tough Solar would be close to compulsory, so again, I do like the tech.

#7 ·
Baselworld is not the most likely place Casio will unveil a new budget G-Shock. So I will just keep waiting on Threads from StarScream from time to time to drop the new stuff I can afford. I do wonder what will be revealed though, even though I could not afford any of them.

I think the "Triple Ten" philosophy went out the window a few years back.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.