WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very happy to report the finding of this new (Non-G) Casio watch today while I was at Target. ($34.99) It's perfect for anyone who likes the old plastic Marlin's, or the smaller G's like the DW5600 (perfect for business-wear). Also, an alternative to the Timex Ironman.

Here are the excellent features.

Time/Date, dual time
Stopwatch
Countdown Timer (YES!) with repeat option
5 alarms with snooze option on first
"Tough Solar"
100M

Plus, the band is larger than most of the Casio square digitals, AND it has a little tab for holding the band in place. Perfection.

·
Registered
Casio Wave Ceptors
3,517 Posts
I was checking out the watches at my local Target store when I came across this WL-500. Nice feature set and solar to boot. I read on the internet that it uses the ML2016 battery which I beleive is used in the G2300 and the Frogmen. Can anyone confirm this? I also read that it will stay charged for up to 11 months without any exposure to light.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is that horizontal graphic in the upper right? I'm trying to figure that out!
Probably just a non-functional thing, such as counting every second, reforming every ten seconds.

I have already given this watch away. I gave away a bunch of watches recently to charity. Not that I didn't like them, but I just found that I simply never wore them. I'd rather someone that needs a watch have it than for it to be sitting in a box unused.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
twincity says it is acrylic.

Acrylic crystals are tougher than mineral or sapphire. The only downside is that they scratch more easily, but the scratches can be polished away.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I own the watch. The watch appears to have an acrylic crystal. The crystal is domed. The crystal is recessed below the bezel so there is some protection to the crystal
Do you find the display difficult to read under artificial overhead light? I ask bc domed crystals i've owned in the past have reflected such light with a bright glare effect. Thx

·
Registered
Casio Wave Ceptors
3,517 Posts
Well I just put the watch under a lamp containing a compact fluorescent bulb. Yes there is glare off the crystal but it was still readable due to the large digit size and the thickness of the digits. A small flick of the wrist to turn the watch and the glare was gone.

After 2 days of wearing this watch I'm giving it a thumbs up. The battery was on H when I bought it and is still on H. It says in the manual that the battery is a ML2016 which has a very large storage capacity. I like the feature set - 24 hr stopwatch and count down timer. Count down timer can be set to auto repeat. 5 multi function alarms, the 1st alarm can be configured as a snooze alarm. Surprisingly the alarm sound is loud, unlike so many Casio solar watches. You can change from regular to 24 hour time with a button push. It also has a auto EL back light. If you hold the mode button down for a second in any mode other than time keeping the display reverts back to the timekeeping mode. It also has the Power saving feature. And the strap fits my wrist, I don't have the problem where the strap is either too loose or too tight. The crystal is recessed so there is protection afforded by the bezel. 100M WR.

The not so good - thin strap, although the way the strap attaches it appears that a better, aftermarket strap will fit. The back light is an LED not an EL backlight. The watch body is plastic and doesn't have a replaceable bezel.

IMHO for $34.99 USD a very nice watch. It appears the watch has been discontinued since it's not on any Casio web site.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts