WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sorry to hear about this...but good for you for contacting the Longine museum (I didn't know there was such a thing, and would not have thought one could to do that). I've been looking at Catawiki for months but never made a purchase. They show their "experts", but these guys must spend about a minute on each watch given the huge numbers they oversee and "inspect". It seems strange to me that so many of the watches appear to be from a small number of dealers in Turkey. Nothing against the Turks....but why Turkey?
Turkey is a hotbed for knock off goods, either made there or imported from China. It used to be a holiday ritual for Europeans to go to turkey and buy fake handbags, watches and other designer goods.

I'm sure there are some legit sellers, but it's usually a massive red flag for me of a dealer is based there.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Turkey is a hotbed for knock off goods, either made there or imported from China. It used to be a holiday ritual for Europeans to go to turkey and buy fake handbags, watches and other designer goods.

I'm sure there are some legit sellers, but it's usually a massive red flag for me of a dealer is based there.

Thank you. Good to know. I had some back and forth with a Turkish dealer on Chrono24 regarding a vintage Zenith, but he seemed to become irritated with my follow-up questions so I bailed out.

·
Registered
155 Posts

That's good to know. I was looking at some Chrono24 watches that looked too good to be true, and they were all from Turkey, Egypt, or India.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have to say that buying at a public auction is very tricky. Everything is sold as seen with no guarantee. In the UK it's caveat emptor - buyer beware. Ebay is the same, although there is probably no practical way ebay would force a buyer or seller to complete a sale. Not doing so would certainly be counted against you though, I believe. On ebay, It may be different if the seller is a trader, but traders generally offer returns anyway. There are TV shows where people buy properties at auction, and the show's experts stress how import it is to do full research before bidding/buying.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
At live auctions you can see and inspect the item before bidding. At online auction, you can only see descritption and photos (which may not be of the actual item, or may not show everything) For that reason both eBay and Catawiki have the option of a full refund if item is not as described when delivered. So in fact this is even better, because you have more time to properly inspect the item. Of course it can get a little complicated if the seller (or auction house) does not accept your claim of "not as described".

For example, in case of a fake, they may want an official declaration by the manufacturer or some other certified expert, even if it is very clear the item is counterfeited. And it may be very difficult (or impossible), time consuming and expensive to get such an official statement.

In my case, I was lucky to get an answer from a very kind curator of the Longines museum. Without that, I'm not sure if I would be able to convince Catawiki's "expert" that the watch is not original.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Catawiki also did not disclose who their 'experts' are, names or contact information. However they asked you to provide your expert and their contact information, with no rebuttal from their 'expert' with any statement or fact. The onus is all on you, guilty until you prove your own innocence of a sort.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts