WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to admit, I was beginning to get a little bored with Casio's releases since the Riseman. MIRB Series has some nice releases....but they are versions of already released models, it seemed like Casio has been sitting still for the past year since Riseman's release.

I went to Rileys mygshock.com and saw some of these new models Casio is putting out and I am liking some of these future releases ALOT. The Aviator GW-2500BD-!A on bracelet looks great. I am pretty intrigued by this Rescue G-7900 too. The DW-6900 ends up looking cheaper than ANYONE thought, they are catching my interest in a big way.....

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I've swayed away G-Shock myself recently because nothing really there that's interested me, but the white GW-6900 in July for the US sounds tempting considering that it isn't as expensive as the other markets.

But for me, the greatest temptation is the GW-5000...When it gets to us here, will Casio tailor the costs to our market or won't they? Sure the 6900 is up there already but why so much of a delay for marketing on the US market GW-5000? A few weeks between releases of the new classics in Japan already but why can't Casio USA even tell us if they'll make the 5000 available in Aug/Sept/ or whenever? Will they even make it for us or is it a limited edition that comes straight outta JapanD.M.?

And you're right, the re-releases of the other models besides the Riseman just aren't appealing...well to us anyway.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
hey doug, i think i know what you mean. i am new and was bit hard by the gshock bug. but now, 10 watches later, i literally have all of the currently-available models that i like. so i'm left to watch the gossip and release calendar. (must get gw6900, may get atomic frog and paw-2000)

my main hobby is playing music, and i participate on a message board dedicated to it. there are discussions about not just gear (analogous to this board), but also recordings, performance, instruction, management, and more. and frankly, i don't find a lot of reason for 'peripheral' topics like that exists for gshocks. so in that way it is easier for my interest to phase in and out, and that interest is tied closely to the product itself rather than the usage, personalities, etc. but i don't see that as a negative.

regards

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think G shocks are like the movie season. They have a few that dont draw much attention, then the have a string that are blockbusters. Right now, G shocks are matching the movie releases!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
That's good to hear. :-! The release cycle of G-Shocks is sort of strange like that. Just when you think nothing else can move you, they bust out a few must haves. There's just so much variety; something has to stick.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey Riley - I just noticed for the first time :roll: that you're in Philadelphia.

I'm not too far away - on the NJ side of the river!

Hello from a neighboring, growing G fan limited only by budget.

That's good to hear. :-! The release cycle of G-Shocks is sort of strange like that. Just when you think nothing else can move you, they bust out a few must haves. There's just so much variety; something has to stick.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Hey Riley - I just noticed for the first time :roll: that you're in Philadelphia.

I'm not too far away - on the NJ side of the river!

Hello from a neighboring, growing G fan limited only by budget.
That's awesome that there's another G-shock fan nearby. This region could definitely use more. Sadly, the local retail landscape is nearly barren of G-Shocks. NYC seems to be the central hub of meetup activity around here, but I wish there was more opportunities to meet other G-Shock fans around Philly.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I agree about Rescue G-7900, it has some of that classic/vintage G-shock clues and I'm sure it would appeal to many collectors.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Agree on all points.....

I was in Atlanta on business a few weeks a go.

There is a small watch shop in the Perimeter Center Mall that had a ton of Gs (and Oceanus), but the prices were ridiculous (all list or more than ebay at best).

They had a Riseman, several of the fancy colored DW-6900, a yellow G-7710, and the cyclops Mudman among others.

That's awesome that there's another G-shock fan nearby. This region could definitely use more. Sadly, the local retail landscape is nearly barren of G-Shocks. NYC seems to be the central hub of meetup activity around here, but I wish there was more opportunities to meet other G-Shock fans around Philly.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I hadn't seen the upcoming GW-5000, but that one looks promising. I've been looking for a 5600-style watch with a screwback and solar power that didn't have all the blingy writing or bright colours on it for awhile. Looks like it might be a winner.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
hey doug, i think i know what you mean. i am new and was bit hard by the gshock bug. but now, 10 watches later, i literally have all of the currently-available models that i like. so i'm left to watch the gossip and release calendar. (must get gw6900, may get atomic frog and paw-2000)
+1 This is how I have been lately. I am about tapped out on readily available G's (though there are a few that are no longer in production I keep and eye on). I have been taking my interests else where lately and exploring what else is out there. Damn if I don't like the expensive ones! o| The new releases will be bringing me back to add one or two more to my collection, though |>

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I agree Doug. Been feeling the same way lately. To tell you the truth, I was a little giddy at the price Casio USA is releasing the GW-6900 at.

No sense in ordering from Japan when we should be able to get it here for around $100. If they follow the same route with the GW-5000...I may order multiple versions of them to see which I like best!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts