WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it is another "My Grandfather's Pocket Watch" thread. There is not much information about Cauny on the internet, but it seems like it was a common generic Swiss brand. I think this is from the early 1950's. I assume it is gold filled over steel as I don't see any hallmarks, but it is a seems heavy for its size of 1.5".

It seems hardly used and was probably sitting in a box for 50 years, hence the pristine condition. I wound it yesterday to see if it works and it is still happily ticking away and keeping good time. I would get it cleaned, but I never wear pocket watches. Here are some pictures!

Thanks for looking!
~R

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
R, I think that looks more like it may be from the late 1960s or early 1970s.. but I am no expert. Either way it looks like it is in pristine condition.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may be! I am not sure when it was purchased. After looking more on the internet it looks like the company only existed from the 1950's to the 70's.

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
The movement will tell much. The only example of a similar watch I have had utilized a wristwatch movement, and not the Unitas that has come to dominate the PW market (and piepan watch market!) today. The design and dial say fairly modern to me. 60's or, more likely, 70's seems likely. IF the movement is a wrist watch movement, then it is certainly not prior to 1960.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will take it to the local watchmaker and see if they can pop the back open. Thanks for the info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts