WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I will start a new thread rather than Hijack the older one. Took a few more pics of the Imperial.

The Packaging:

It comes in a simple outer cardboard box that is built enough on one side to keep the inner case from bumping around with "Celadon" imprinted. Ben also included a very nice custom card which I won't spoil away.

005.jpg

The inner leather case has a nice build to it. The tassels on the case raised immediate interest with the wife as a potential storage for her jewelry. Such unnecessary and selfish thoughts were quickly dispelled once I opened the case and saw that it was custom made for the Imperial. Not only is the leather pouch printed with "Celadon" but also has "Imperial" imprinted on it giving the assurance that this was made for this watch. And it shows, it fits like a glove.

015.jpg
022.jpg
028.jpg
032.jpg

The Watch

So, the Imperial. The first reaction when I saw the watch was the dial was unlike any I have seen in person before. I have had sunburst dials, enamel dials and the likes but nothing quite like the Imperial's dial. The dial along with the thermic heated hands and the logo is incredibly beautiful to look at. I have been staring at the watch every few minutes. I have had the Zhufeng before and I always kept staring at the movement. With the Imperial the front is just as pretty, if not better, than the rear.

One thing to note about the logo and the hands - They are not the same blue. I am not sure if this was the intent or was an accident but it adds to the overall attraction of the watch. The hands are more close to Stowa Blue(sorry, I couldn't come up with anything better) while the logo is more of a Royal Deep Blue. It is easily visible when you see it but hard to capture in the pictures. The indices are set in silver tone and shine through the watch.

034.jpg
053.jpg
056.jpg
062.jpg
103.jpg
106.jpg
111.jpg

The Case, Strap and the Movement

The Strap is quite nice for a stock strap. It is nicer than some of my aftermarket straps. The strap itself has the Celadon logo imprinted twice and the buckle has one. I quite like the strap and haven't even had the thought of changing it.

The case is really nice. The lugs are quite beautiful and the overall the case makes the watch very well finished. It is quite shiny(for the lack of a better term) but not in a chrome-wheels-in-a-Florida-sun kinda shiny but very nice finish. The overall watch feels really well put together and definitely feels like an expensive watch.

The crown is just the right size for me, it is not too small like my Mido Baroncelli Peseux that required quite a skill to wind everyday nor is it too big to dig into the skin when worn. It is the perfect size for this watch and the overall winding mechanism is pleasant.

The movement itself is the absolutely beautiful SB 18. Nothing that I can add to the already well reviewed movement on this forum. I am no stickler for accuracy, I prefer my watches to keep time so that I am not late by a few minutes and besides since there is no second hand, I am not even bothered by it. I will keep an eye out for the power reserve though since my Zhufeng lost quite a lot of reserve when I had it.

The watch is engraved with "Made in China with Pride" in the back along with the limited edition number and the 首 character denoting it is one of the first of its kind.

047.jpg

064.jpg
093.jpg

Now for my one gripe - The AR coating - not sure if it does have an AR coating but as you can see from the pictures the front crystal reflects a lot of light. It makes it very had to photograph the watch. This isn't a big deal when it comes to the functionality in itself as it doesn't hinder seeing the time but it does reflect a lot of light.

Overall - I am mighty happy with the watch. |>

Thanks for reading and please point out any factual mistakes I am sure I have committed in this.:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine has arrived and it is absolutely stunning,i am not going to take any pics because my poor camera will not do it justice but the pics above are excellent and capture it very well.

Everything about the watch is top quality,the dial is beautiful and really plays with the light as do the hands which really sparkle in certain light,as commented above the logo is a slightly different shade of blue and quite unique i would say,of course the beautiful,classic SB18 does not need me to add to the many gushing comments of others and the lack of a second hand adds a touch of class to the overall look.The strap is decent and i have not decided yet if is staying on.

The nice white Celadon box and the absolutely beautiful leather Celadon Imperial case are top quality and add pure class to the presentation as does the really nice personal card.

Congratulations Ben,i think you should be very proud of yourself as you have produced an absolute triumph of a watch.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Interesting, the movement is designated as a B18 which I think might be the newer generation of the wonderful SB18. Looking forward to comparing the two movements side by side, visually at least.

Ric
Ric,

You are, of course, absolutely correct. For those interested in the differences between the movements, see this thread for info. The most immediately recognizable difference is the location of the balance wheel (which on the new movement is more in line with the crown):
SB18
818019d1347305126-alternatives-eta-2824-2-beijing_everst_back1_det.jpg
(picture borrowed from here)

B18
1092712d1369128779-brand-new-sb18-movement-beijing-home_image.3161058.jpg
(picture from the thread linked above)

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
This imperial looks great.

A very fine mix between the Beihai (case and movement) and the ZunJue (dial texture) plus added stuff like the hands and indices...
A great piece, I feel.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Interesting, the movement is designated as a B18 which I think might be the newer generation of the wonderful SB18. Looking forward to comparing the two movements side by side, visually at least.

Ric
The movement is described as B18-6 on the included paperwork Ric.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
The movement is described as B18-6 on the included paperwork Ric.
Mate, is there anything better than a BJWAF watch or movement? I don't know if I love the modern Beijings more than their vintage branded Shuanglings, or even if the new Celadon will top them all. All I know is that BJWAF floats my particular boat.

Ric

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mate, is there anything better than a BJWAF watch or movement? I don't know if I love the modern Beijings more than their vintage branded Shuanglings, or even if the new Celadon will top them all. All I know is that BJWAF floats my particular boat.

Ric
I agree mate,it is definately my favourite watch brand.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Received today! Unfortunately, I won't be in France until two weeks... The wait is gonna be markedly hard! According to my father, who received the watch for me, it is very, very nice and well built!

Envoyé de mon GT-N7100 en utilisant Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Thanks for the review and fantastic photos S!

One minor correction - the outer box is not cardboard but rather high-quality paper. It is handmade along with the leather case.

I thought I will start a new thread rather than Hijack the older one. Took a few more pics of the Imperial.

The Packaging:

It comes in a simple outer cardboard box that is built enough on one side to keep the inner case from bumping around with "Celadon" imprinted. Ben also included a very nice custom card which I won't spoil away.

View attachment 1348242

The inner leather case has a nice build to it. The tassels on the case raised immediate interest with the wife as a potential storage for her jewelry. Such unnecessary and selfish thoughts were quickly dispelled once I opened the case and saw that it was custom made for the Imperial. Not only is the leather pouch printed with "Celadon" but also has "Imperial" imprinted on it giving the assurance that this was made for this watch. And it shows, it fits like a glove.

View attachment 1348243
View attachment 1348244
View attachment 1348245
View attachment 1348246

The Watch

So, the Imperial. The first reaction when I saw the watch was the dial was unlike any I have seen in person before. I have had sunburst dials, enamel dials and the likes but nothing quite like the Imperial's dial. The dial along with the thermic heated hands and the logo is incredibly beautiful to look at. I have been staring at the watch every few minutes. I have had the Zhufeng before and I always kept staring at the movement. With the Imperial the front is just as pretty, if not better, than the rear.

One thing to note about the logo and the hands - They are not the same blue. I am not sure if this was the intent or was an accident but it adds to the overall attraction of the watch. The hands are more close to Stowa Blue(sorry, I couldn't come up with anything better) while the logo is more of a Royal Deep Blue. It is easily visible when you see it but hard to capture in the pictures. The indices are set in silver tone and shine through the watch.

View attachment 1348232
View attachment 1348233
View attachment 1348235
View attachment 1348236
View attachment 1348237
View attachment 1348238
View attachment 1348239

The Case, Strap and the Movement

The Strap is quite nice for a stock strap. It is nicer than some of my aftermarket straps. The strap itself has the Celadon logo imprinted twice and the buckle has one. I quite like the strap and haven't even had the thought of changing it.

The case is really nice. The lugs are quite beautiful and the overall the case makes the watch very well finished. It is quite shiny(for the lack of a better term) but not in a chrome-wheels-in-a-Florida-sun kinda shiny but very nice finish. The overall watch feels really well put together and definitely feels like an expensive watch.

The crown is just the right size for me, it is not too small like my Mido Baroncelli Peseux that required quite a skill to wind everyday nor is it too big to dig into the skin when worn. It is the perfect size for this watch and the overall winding mechanism is pleasant.

The movement itself is the absolutely beautiful SB 18. Nothing that I can add to the already well reviewed movement on this forum. I am no stickler for accuracy, I prefer my watches to keep time so that I am not late by a few minutes and besides since there is no second hand, I am not even bothered by it. I will keep an eye out for the power reserve though since my Zhufeng lost quite a lot of reserve when I had it.

The watch is engraved with "Made in China with Pride" in the back along with the limited edition number and the 首 character denoting it is one of the first of its kind.

View attachment 1348241

View attachment 1348251
View attachment 1348240

Now for my one gripe - The AR coating - not sure if it does have an AR coating but as you can see from the pictures the front crystal reflects a lot of light. It makes it very had to photograph the watch. This isn't a big deal when it comes to the functionality in itself as it doesn't hinder seeing the time but it does reflect a lot of light.

Overall - I am mighty happy with the watch. |>

Thanks for reading and please point out any factual mistakes I am sure I have committed in this.:)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Very good detailed impressions from the OP. Mine had arrived on Saturday itself at my office but I could only collect it today. I spent my first 30 mins in office just looking at the watch and studying it lol. Here are some quick iPhone pics

I do not have Beihai to compare with but I can say this is the best Chinese watch so far on my wrist. The attention to detail is magnificent and the finishing is top notch. This is also my first look at the famous Beijing movement and it is just magnificent to look at. Overall very happy with the watch. If there is one thing I would have preferred better, it is the stock strap. It is good but may be my expectations were high. Will keep it at the moment and change it later.

Very good and thorough job Ben!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a follow up - Power Reserve seems to be around 60 hours on an average of two cycles so far. Am I crazy or is that normal since that is quite impressive!! :-!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Theoretically I think that the B-18 / SB-18 are supposed to be 58h power reserve movements. So you've got a slightly better than expected result, I'd say!

·
Registered
6,421 Posts

Celadon Imperial wot arrived moments ago.

Breathtaking.

The new B18 movement is clearly a radical upgrade from the SB18, my guess the change being triggered by the need for space for a date complication. Thankfully, the Imperial remains true to its high-end dress watch aspirations so no date, no sub-seconds. Just that crisp, exquisite dial, and those equally exquisite blued hands and logo. The B18 movement has if anything a slightly nicer finish than its SB18 cousin, so it's a welcome addition to my movement count.

I just did something a bit cruel: I took out my loupe and *looked* for even the slightest blemish... and found a hair. My hair. So I brushed that off and looked again. Nothing. Even the BeiHai has the odd blemish here and there on movement, dial and hands (as does a $5,000 Omega) but the Imperial is simply perfect.

And I've done something that I never do: I've kept the Imperial on its original strap. The strap isn't just nice, and not just nicer than the alternatives I've got, it's *really* nice. My wife glanced at the watch and pronounced both watch and strap as "classy".

Very very well done, Ben.

Made in China with pride, indeed.

Ric

·
Registered
573 Posts
Wow. Wow! WOW!!! |>:p:p:p:p:p:p |>

I followed some of the design threads for this new house and the results far exceed my expectations. Good job monsieurxu!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I may have missed it somewhere in Celadon Imperial thread. I thought the imperial comes with gold plated engraved balance cocks. It seems some come with it and others don't. Is this correct?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts