WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted a turtle back for a long time - Imagine my joy when i found one for 30 danish kr, or around 3gbp - Well nothing is obviously as easy as that, it was covered in a thick thick yellow layer of muck, but when i got that off i was greated to a watch in overall rather good cosmetic shape.

The movement is a 25-66m that looks clean aswell (there was a lot of gunk on the caseback from the gasket thugh). However i quickly found out that things aren't as they should be:

When you pull the crown to set time, only the hour hand moves.
When you wind it, it keeps pretty good time, however only the second and minute hands move.

What could be the cause of that? I doubt I dare try to fix it myself, but would like to know if it's worth sending in for repair, or am I better off selling it for parts, and buying a working one?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys, it also means that I'll have to find someone to pay to do it cos i don't think i trust my watchmaking skills enough to do that:)

Do you think it's worth spending money on, or is it better to sell it and find another?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
If you want a nice watch to wear then it's worth paying for a good fix up but as many have said you don't add value to cover the cost on most old watches and at most one should be happy if it draws even. And you are right it's not the watch to learn on so pass it on if you are not willing to spend the money. You would however feel good if you had it fixed. :)

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
If you bought it for three quid, then how could it not be worth fixing? It's a Certina DS-2. And it's a good "bulletproof" vintage watch for daily wear.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you bought it for three quid, then how could it not be worth fixing? It's a Certina DS-2. And it's a good "bulletproof" vintage watch for daily wear.
Well the reason why I ask is that I have no idea what it would cost to ha e something like that fixed, I don't imagine a watchmaker charges less to fix a cheap watch than an expensive ;)

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
. . . . When you pull the crown to set time, only the hour hand moves. When you wind it, it keeps pretty good time, however only the second and minute hands move. . . .
Sounds like cannon pinion issue :)
Interesting.

In the setting mode the set wheel drives the minute wheel which in turn drives the hour wheel (via its leaves) and cannon pinion (via the its teeth) - "independently" of each other - but the minute wheel's teeth engage both the setting wheel and the cannon pinion simultaneously and for the setting function to work on the hour wheel it must also work on the cannon pinion for the cannon pinion's teeth drive the hour wheel via the minute wheel's leaves.

Clear as mud?

Seldom do cannon pinion teeth fail - more often it is the softer minute wheel teeth. Perhaps the cannon pinion has become unseated and is "up" on the center wheel pinion and failing to engage the minute wheel? Alternatively, the set wheel may have a more positive engagement with perhaps mangled minute wheel teeth than does the cannon pinion or the cannon pinion teeth may be rounded off.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
I just admire Your posts mister :)
Yeah, me too.
lol.

My friends, if you would just dare to invest in the Bergeon Crystal Ball (part #934094 with remote viewing module(v.2)) you too could dazzle your friends with bovine excrement. [I pulled the lid off of a 25-65 and had a look around inside. Sidebar: I can't say enough good about the Certina movements. Great quality. Large balance wheels. Nice finishes. Solid timekeepers. Robust. And I can't account for the lack of respect that they have previously received.]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts