WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm really curious about this watch. Does anyone have any experience with it yet? It's quite rare to find now and not a lot of online sellers have it yet. Sure looks like a nice, clean revamp of the DS First line taking simplicity cues from other members of the DS family (DS 1). Loving the contour and the rugged features despite its simplicity.

Please let me know if anyone has this watch yet. Thanks.

Specs and pics:
Certina DS First:
Model #:
C014.407.11.051.00
-Stainless Steel
-Sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating
-Automatic ETA 2836
-200m waterproof
-Screwed-down crown + DS (Double Security feature of Certina)
-Pricing: approx. $588USD

wm_ds_first_gent_automatic_134088.jpg

wm_ds_first_gent_automatic_705970.jpg

014.407.16.051.00.jpg

wm_DS_First_Gent_Automatic_79886273.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: mikeynd

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Sorry i can't help you out, i know nothing about it. But i do love the look of it..particularly the case, and 200m WR and screw-down crown is interesting given the style. A tool watch in a sexy disguise perhaps? ;-)

Case diameter?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"A tool watch in a sexy disguise..."

Hammered it right on.

Aside from getting info from users, I just wanted to share it too with the WUS community since Certinas are a pretty infrequent topics in these parts. A particular Polish website here says that the case diameter is at 40.3mm not including the crown; not too oversized, and not too feminine-looking.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I noticed that the clasp is not shown in those pictures for the metal band... it is a fold-over or friction clasp or a push-button deployment?

·
Registered
899 Posts
I tried it on in Hong Kong--black face on the bracelet. It's a well-made watch and looks great in person. I did not buy it as I don't feel like I need another ETA three-hander (I'd rather put my money towards something else). That being said, had I seen the version with the black leather strap and red stitching, I might have picked it up.

It does look a lot like the Union Glasshutte Belisar. They are both Swatch and I'm thinking it might even be the same case with some modification...

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm loving this watch right now (with the steel bracelet in the first pic in the OP). It is too similar to my Le Locle for me to justify picking one up, that is until I can switch the Tissot from the bracelet to the leather strap and use it for more formal occasions. I would really have to try one on before buying it, and I don't think Certina has a distributor in canada or the US, so that might prove interesting.

rsgould, is the finish similar to that photo in person? It seems to be a dark, almost tinted steel that looks beautiful on the screen at least.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are lokking for a autorizd retailer, you colud ask in horademoda.com. They are autorized retailers and very good professionals. They are completely legit

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looking for confirmation of the above (horademoda.com) being an AD. I see on the page for this watch it shows 2 year international warranty is valid. Nice price on this watch.

Thanks.

Seems like it might be this entry on Certina's Spain AD list:

JOYERÍA RELOJERÍA SICILIA
SICILIA ARIAS, JUAN DOMINGO
C/ MOSEN ANDRES VICENTE, 20
ZARAGOZA
50017 ZARAGOZA

edit: after quite some searching I've found this is the right store and is an AD. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
What is Swatch thinking? If they wanted a the retro look of the DS1, they should have paired the the Certina dial, with the Glasshutte case. As it is the crown guards turn me off.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
... Getting a perfect fit might be tricky with what looks like just one half link.

The reviewer wrote: "There are fine tuning on both sides of two half members, thus everyone should find the correct setting or length."

In other words, the picture you saw in his review already had one (of two) half links removed. He had already sized that bracelet to fit his wrist before taking those pictures.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I came within a mouse click of buying one online; it looks pretty close to the Tag Carrera too. But, the way the case sticks out and sort of 'hugs' the crown was a deal breaker for me :-( It lost its symmetry for me. Pity, it looks like a beauty otherwise.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Union model looks to have no lume. Tissot looks too plain, imo. Both have white dates on black dials, I'd rather have black like the Certina.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Union model looks to have no lume. Tissot looks too plain, imo. Both have white dates on black dials, I'd rather have black like the Certina.

I also agree to prefer date with black background, with a black dial watch.

The Tissot actually has textured dial at the center, so I don't really find it that plain. (I tried that larger picture but somehow the textured surface still does not show up as clearly as I hoped.)

The Union does come with lume version.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
IMHO I think it looks pretty good and I must say that the Certina brand feels to me like a okish brand similar to Tissot..

·
Registered
106 Posts
I also agree to prefer date with black background, with a black dial watch.

The Tissot actually has textured dial at the center, so I don't really find it that plain. (I tried that larger picture but somehow the textured surface still does not show up as clearly as I hoped.)

The Union does come with lume version.
I see the texture now. I guess it's just the ratio of bezel to case and the rather large hour markers and hands I think makes the Tissot plain looking. Instead of sleek and elegant it looks fat and homely. The polished bezel on the Union and Certina models help set them apart.

The lume model of the Union is decent, but still white date and numbers are quite large. Surprisingly I'm actually a fan of the styling with the crown guard on the Certina. I think it looks better with than without it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts