WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Finished restoring this Certina Argonaut 280 from 1971.

View attachment 15437469
I do like these rugged watches. A few dings on the case but nothing too bad.

View attachment 15437485
Inside you find the base 25-66 caliber.
Well done! 👌

My favorite Argonaut case and my preferred Certina movement. In my opinion 25-66 is a very reliable and handsome caliber.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I bought this Certina 288 Certidate at June. It had damaged hour wheel of which I eventually found from eBay three weeks ago. The movement is very rare 25-682.
288 watches do have a saphire crystal, one of the first ones at 70's.
View attachment 15437618

View attachment 15437623
Very nice!

I agree those special parts for the day/date versions are very hard to find and often a donor is the only way unless one has the patience to wait one out.

Well done! 👌

My favorite Argonaut case and my preferred Certina movement. In my opinion 25-66 is a very reliable and handsome caliber.
Thanks! I picked a 25-66 for this reason and it runs just like new.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Stumbled over this today, it's from a danish newspaper January 1978.

"Certina LCD quartz, worlds flattest stopwatch"
24 hour display
Liquid crystal constantly shows hours, minutes, seconds and date. Also shows month. Light for night reading. Super stopwatch with 1/100 sec. accuracy splittimes read easily. Steel case with hardened mineralglass and steel bracelet - 1385dkk with band 1285 - 140dkk downpayment, the rest over 9 months.

1385dkk is 220usd in todays rate - Comparatively the newspaper costed 2.25, today it costs 22 (but is obviously sold in much smaller volumes, so you can't really compare that way, but still). It was a front page add on the biggest selling tabloid paper, so in all likelyhood it would have been quite expensive to advertise there (especially since we didn't have advertisement on TV back then).

Been looking for one of these for a while myself, but im too cheap to pay the general going rate:cautious:

·
Registered
Tissot PR 516 GL, Sea-Gull 1963, Seiko SKXA35, Seiko Cocktail Time, Vostok Komandirskie
2,773 Posts
Finished restoring this Certina Argonaut 280 from 1971.

View attachment 15437469
I do like these rugged watches. A few dings on the case but nothing too bad.

View attachment 15437485
Inside you find the base 25-66 caliber.
Well done! 👌

Agreed! I have this Argonaut 280, which Shum may remember fixing up for me... thanks again, my friend!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Since we're talking Argonauts, let me share this mid 70s Swedish folder.

I will try to make a very rough translation of the text, as it paints a picture of the type of customer Certina apparently had in mind:

"Youth - it's all speed and action. Full speed off the road or in the discotheque. It is about new colours and shapes. To break with conventions and still think that life is a carefree adventure. It is to be happy and sad, to dress funny when the elderly expect strictness. And to be elegant with a personal taste when you feel like it.

It is great that Argonaut is there when you are young. The Certina for the taste and wallets of young people. And with design and quality, that can hold up to the young lifestyle."

(What's really funny is that in the second picture, it doesn't even look as if the guy's wearing an Argonaut :) )

Certina Argonaut_1.jpg Certina Argonaut_2.jpg Certina Argonaut_3.jpg Certina Argonaut_4.jpg Certina Argonaut_5.jpg Certina Argonaut_6.jpg

·
Registered
Tissot PR 516 GL, Sea-Gull 1963, Seiko SKXA35, Seiko Cocktail Time, Vostok Komandirskie
2,773 Posts
Super cool that you had that old material! Thanks for sharing it! It’s really useful to note some of the original dial colors.

I still think Argonaut was an odd choice of name for a watch without serious WR. Jason and the Argonauts were some of the original “Seamasters.”

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks! I can as well share the other Argonaut ads I've got. They are from two catalogs which do not seem to include all variants, but a choice few from every line. The older one is undated, but might be from 1974, the other one is from 1976. I should probably go through the trouble of scanning them in their entirety at some point, but they are tricky to get into the scanner.

The later version of 280 (a bit strange that it didn't get a new number) is advertised as high beat, so I suppose it has the 919-1 movement. But I'm sure Shum would be the one to know. :)

Certina Argonaut_7.jpg Certina Argonaut_8.jpg

·
Registered
339 Posts
Another new old Certina for me, I was given this DS2 as a compensation for a small watch repair job for a friend. Case is hardly in great shape, as is often the case with these, but the green dial looks pristine.

Apparently received as a christmas gift back in '77. I pity the poor jewelry shop worker who had to try and scribble that engraving on the side of the case with his gravograph. I usually kinda like engravings, but I'll strongly consider removing this one.
IMG_20201106_211738__01.jpg
IMG_20201106_211843__01.jpg
IMG_20201106_211919__01.jpg
IMG_20201106_212132__01.jpg

Attachments

101 - 120 of 154 Posts