WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
They are so adorable! There are so many to collect and if one keeps to plated watches there are some nice ones in white gold and also solid silver from the early 70s.
Well in fact these watches are solid gold :) Respectively 14k (Certina), 18k (Zodiac) 14k (Roamer), 18k (Certina)
Unfortunately I don't have any silver or white gold plated Certina yet. But I have a half of solid white gold

Don't know why somebody dumped only the top half to scrap. But someday I may need the movement so here it is, hidden in my collection.

Also I have one Certina that is 40 micron yellow gold plated, which was new to me. I only saw 20 mic plating on Certinas before. Sorry I don't have a stamp photo, it's between the lugs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sure you can, the more the merrier. :)
Thanks! I am a bad picture taker so please forgive me in advanced.
First is a certina 414. The dial is in really bad shape. I have two movements and two cases as some one put dial dots on the dial on the right to make a frankenwatch.

Just a quick note on the dial on the top right. These are now being sold on Taobao in large numbers.

The next one is my favorite. Certina 23-35 water king. When I took it apart half the spring was missing and the hair spring was tangled up. I have a donor 23-35 but some of the fasteners are corroded. This will be my next project.

The donor movement.

The other is a kf-320 pointer. It took me a long time to finish this one as it had a broken pallet fork pivot and both balance wheel pivots were broken. The donor’s balance wheel was wobbly so it was pushing down on the pallet fork and binding. I had to source another pallet fork that wouldn’t bind. This was hard as I got perma banned from the bay, I still don’t know why and no explanation was given. Now I’m getting 215 amplitude and 1.3 beat error. I think the wobble on the balance wheel and an old main spring are giving me the bad numbers.
The dates on the dial look like they were touched up. The 28 is on there twice, so I may just redial it in the future.

As I finish the other projects I’ll post them up. Thanks for taking a look and it’s great to see all the other beautiful Certinas out there.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
I can tell you that those new looking dials are fake so don't buy them!

The Waterking is a bit odd and must be a special model for the local market so that's a very nice watch. The Pointer date Certina is also special and we didn't get any of these models here in Sweden that I know of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can tell you that those new looking dials are fake so don't buy them!

The Waterking is a bit odd and must be a special model for the local market so that's a very nice watch. The Pointer date Certina is also special and we didn't get any of these models here in Sweden that I know of.
Yes, there are a couple of stores here stamping out these “vintage” dials and second hand sellers installing them and trying to sell the watches at premium prices. You can find some interesting movements sometimes in common looking watches as resellers will try to piece together a franken to make a quick buck.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Yes, there are a couple of stores here stamping out these “vintage” dials and second hand sellers installing them and trying to sell the watches at premium prices. You can find some interesting movements sometimes in common looking watches as resellers will try to piece together a franken to make a quick buck.
As long as you know what you are buying it's not a problem I guess.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 · (Edited)
Here we have a special model made for Volvo in 1977 as a 50th year celebration. I remember this summer as Volvo workers got a Certina watch and their families here in Sweden got to go to Liseberg (our amusement park in Gothenburg) during a wonderful summer day.

The men should all get this Blue Ribbon model with a caliber 25-651M and the women a Mayfair with a caliber 17-351 ladies watch. It didn't turn out this way though as Certina couldn't produce this watch with the Certina caliber 25-651M in the numbers needed, so there was a big lot of watches that look much the same but with the caliber 25-011 (ETA 2783).

On the back you get Volvo 1927-1977 and the 913 stands for 25-651M and on the ETA 2783 version it starts with 623.

Inside you find the 25-651M with a plastic movement holder but this watch is a bit special! You see that there is no text on the rotor and above you see a rotor taking from a scraped Volvo watch and how it should look. The polish patterns don't look the same and could be they made a change here but why use such poor texting?

They must have been forced to take the rotor from the production line without stamping and coloring in the text. It actually had text but I didn't notice this text was water decals, so they floated away when I put all the parts in the cleaner. Now it's extra special with no printing on the movement.

I think it just looks fantastic like this.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Today we are going to look at a very special model.

A Coronation Chronométre.

It is a steel watch with a sheet of gold pressed on top "Gold on Steel".

A nice back with the Certina logo. There is a serial number (106214) stamped here as well but very shallow. Observe that this is a special 6-digit number that Certina only put on special model like Gold, Chronographs and Chronometers.

On the inside of the case back you find the referees number 5821.200.

And here we see the caliber 25-651 that Certina put in their finest watched, but this is special in that the same serial number on the back is stamped on the movement as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow Shum, where did you find such a rare piece in such a perfect condition? It's stunning! Are you planning to wear it?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Thanks. It was a trade in for multiple service jobs and some gold.

I wouldn't dare to wear it! It's just fun to be able to look close at it but I'm no collector, so It's going to a new home one of these days.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I should even service it and just polish the crystal.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I have come upon a Certina Automatic Bumper cal 360. Would this be considered collectible being an early in house movement. Gold filled Bezel has a good bit of wear thru and the dial is kind of tired looking. But it is working and does have a distinctive vintage look. At $100. I passed on it but still thinking about it. Sorry no photo. Thoughts on the 360?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Today I'll show 2 DS models that are next on my list to fix up.

On the left is a manual wind and on the right we have an automatic. The automatic does look a bit cloudy because someone has installed some unknown crystal on it so the light breaks in a strange way.

The manual wind models got a plain turtle and the automatic get a bit extra.

On the left we have the caliber 25-661 and on the right the caliber 25-651. The automatics get a bigger movement holder as to protect the rotor.

141 - 154 of 154 Posts