WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My father in law bought this watch in the 70ties and now he decided to give it to me.

The watch will need some service (loss a 5 min per day) but this shouldn´t be a big deal - probably just a cleaning :think:

Have not opened the back yet but I am sure the Town & Country is fitted with an old Certina inhouse caliber.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Congrats!

Nice example of a T&C.
A lot of samples offered in the bay have some wear on the dial in the corners, where yours seems to be in perfect condition. I wouldn't be surprised to find something like a Certina 23-36 or a 25-36 inside, something like that:

Cheers,

Axel

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
I understand that Certina has some in-house movements. They were good watches in the 1960-70's. Here is my "new" certina.:-!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Beautyful example soviet!

Certina made great in-house movements. Even the late 70's they still had some nice modifications on ETA-based ones.

Here in Europe Certina's most known model should be the DS. That originally meant double security and debuted somewhere around the mid-60's. Typically the movement is held by a plastic-ring (note: at that time plastic meant high tech) to act as an additional shock absorber. Also typically for a DS is the Turtle engraved in the back, where there are some "Junior" models without it.

However another well-known earlier model should be the "Labora" a 40's watch designed to be robust, marketed to be shock- and water resistant as well as antimagnetic (we all know, what shock-resistant and antimagnetic meant at this time, though)!

Personally I'm more after other Certinas, as there are still cheap to get (there was a kind of a DS hype recently) and I don't hestitate to compare their Quality at that time with Longines or even Omega.

Here're my litle collection (hope you don't get me wrong - I just wanna share it):

Cheers,

Axel

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, Certina watches are still a bit underrated imho. They are real bargains ;-)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Axel - I really appreciate the photos - particularly well composed and missing reflections in the glasses.

Thanks

JohnW

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Thanks a lot!
I'm using a neutral white plastic-box ("Ikea-box") and sunlight or the built-in flash of my camera, that I then let flash through the wall of the box, covering where necessary to avoid direct exposure to the object.
However, I'm going to purchase an external flash next year.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Well, Certina watches are still a bit underrated imho. They are real bargains ;-)
I think so. They are much cheaper than those well advertised brands, but offer excellent quality for the money.

Here is another one in excellent condition with an in-house 25-66 movement.:-!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Hi,

Just caught another Certina with a hacking movement. The movement is signed 453, and it seems beat very fast. It also has a same case as the one with 25-66 movement. Could anyone tell me more about the movement? Age, bph,rare or not,etc? I will post an image later. Thanks.

Zhang

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Hi,

Just caught another Certina with a hacking movement. The movement is signed 453, and it seems beat very fast. It also has a same case as the one with 25-66 movement. Could anyone tell me more about the movement? Age, bph,rare or not,etc? I will post an image later. Thanks.

Zhang

Here is an image of the movement. Someone said it is an ETA 2750. I have some watches with ETA 2750, but none of them has a hacking feature.:-s

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,795 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Hi,

Here is my new Certina with a modefied ETA 2751 quick beat, hacking movement. The watch is in very clean condition. Certina was considered as a low grade Swiss watch. It was listed as one of the 3rd class of the 4th category watches in 1960-70's in China. Well below Tinoni, Roamer,etc.So the price is very good for this one( less than 10 euro).:-d But I think it compares well to those 3rd category brands. The watch has been keeping accurate time so far. Clean Certina with in-house movement may cost about 30 euro.

Cheers,

Zhang

Attachments

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hi,

Here is my new Certina with a modefied ETA 2751 quick beat, hacking movement. The watch is in very clean condition. Certina was considered as a low grade Swiss watch. It was listed as one of the 3rd class of the 4th category watches in 1960-70's in China. Well below Tinoni, Roamer,etc.So the price is very good for this one( less than 10 euro).:-d But I think it compares well to those 3rd category brands. The watch has been keeping accurate time so far. Clean Certina with in-house movement may cost about 30 euro.

Cheers,

Zhang
That's a real bargain!
But your're right, they're underestimated!
I have no clue about the Chinese rating system, but here in Europe Certina movements have a very good reputation. And to my personal experience, they are minimum as good as the Omega movements from the late 60s and early 70s. O.K. the legendary Omega movements of the 5xx series of the late 50s till the mid-late 60s might be better in terms of accuracy and reliability, but please consider, what you have to pay!
According to my experience, you can still get a Certina Handwinder in nearly NOS condition for less than $75!!!
For the same quality of an Omega, you might be asked to pay $300 or more!

Cheers,

Axel

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
That's a real bargain!
But your're right, they're underestimated!
I have no clue about the Chinese rating system, but here in Europe Certina movements have a very good reputation. And to my personal experience, they are minimum as good as the Omega movements from the late 60s and early 70s. O.K. the legendary Omega movements of the 5xx series of the late 50s till the mid-late 60s might be better in terms of accuracy and reliability, but please consider, what you have to pay!
According to my experience, you can still get a Certina Handwinder in nearly NOS condition for less than $75!!!
For the same quality of an Omega, you might be asked to pay $300 or more!

Cheers,

Axel
The Chinese rating system is very confusing. Some today's big brands such as Rado, Breitling were rated even lower in the 5th category.:-d And some top Japanese brands, Seiko, Citizen, French Lip and others, and all German brands were rated in the 6th category.o| Watches of same type were priced according to this system, and used watches are often sold according to it,too. I was told that Certina was promoted later to the 3rd category just below Zenith, Gruen,Cortebert,etc of 2nd category watches.|>

Cheers,

Zhang

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Hi -

Now you've got me interested: is this rating system described anywhere? What are the criteria? Who rates them? Even if it is confusing, I'd really appreciate some additional info or a link or two...

The reason? I do ratings professionally (credit risk, investments, etc) and this'd be a rather interesting application...

JohnF

PS: googled on chinese+watch+ratings and didn't find anything...

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Hi -

Now you've got me interested: is this rating system described anywhere? What are the criteria? Who rates them? Even if it is confusing, I'd really appreciate some additional info or a link or two...

The reason? I do ratings professionally (credit risk, investments, etc) and this'd be a rather interesting application...

JohnF

Hi,

People often talked about this system, but no one seems to know how it was developed. It was a list of foreign wristwatches of 1950-60's, and import duty was collected according to it too. IIRC, as high as 200% import duty was collected for those higher category watches(Rolex, Omega). I posted a scan of the 1st page before on this forum. It does not include those real luxury brands such as PP, AP. There are about 400 obscure Swiss brands listed in the 5th category alone.o| CAMY,LUZ,NIVADA,RADO,ROYCE,PRONTO that I know are listed on the 5th category, and they were sold slightly higher(20%-30%) than Chinese watches for the low import duty and original prices. Many Russian watches that were not categorised(perhaps lower than 7th category) were sold about the same as Chinese ones. A Russian chronometer Volna was only RMB 90, that was even cheaper than a Shanghai 7120 for RMB 125.

Cheers,

Zhang

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Hi -

JohnF

JohnF,

I read some old Chinese watch magazines, and that offerd some clue about watch quality standards. In the 1950's, Chinese adopted Soviet quality standards for watches,and for making watches. Watches were tested for time keeping performance, and for reliability according to these criteria. They give certain points to a specific performance, and added them up for a final result. For example, a Donffeng performed better than Enicar for time keeping, but worse for reliability, and the final results were about equal.

They could either obtain similar quality test reports from those Swiss manufacturers, or they could have tested these brands themself,plus some other factors such as brand image,case material, finish to details,etc to come up with such a list.

But the above is still my assumption. There might be an international list for them to take reference? Many countries imported Swiss watches then.

Cheers,

Zhang

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Reminds me of some 50s Hamiltons... but they would be in RGP most likely... and not as big I expect.

Looks quite nice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts