WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at my xly modest and small collection of affordable watches, trying to work out how best to move on. At the moment, of the 7 I have in China,, I have 3 tool watches (2 Gs and a Suunto), a nice military officer's chrono on leather, a Deco Tank, an everyday mechanical and a bracelet sporty model. I think I need a diver. Are Certina a good buy?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
What's your budget for a diver?

Right now I'm loving the Christopher Ward C60 and the Victorinox 500. Neither are super expensive, especially 2nd hand.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got about 5,000 yuan to play with (prob equiv to $600 what with luxury tac etc), no online buys and I don't rate Tissot, so I've got Certina, Festina (I think), Hamilton (but I don't think they do a diver, especially at this price) and possibly Mido to choose from. I really want info on Certina specifically, as I think I know enough about the other available brands to make a decision. I like the look and feel of the Certinas. I've handled both a quartz and an ETAd one and they felt solid. The quartz was all over the place, no way I'd buy that particular one but the mechanical moved well and seemed pretty decent. I just wanted to check there weren't any models I'd better stay away from or horror stories about q.c. or whatever.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
I don't know why you don't rate Tissot. I'd rate Tissot, Certina and Hamilton as relatively comparable. Festina less so. A Certina diver would be a solid choice, the DS Action diver is well regarded for example. Another option, perhaps a little more expensive, would be a Longines Hydroconquest.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I owned a Tissot autoquartz PR200 about 13 years ago and you seem to get a lot less for your money these days. The styling is quite nice, but for me personally, Tissot are the "blah"est of the sensible brands. I'm not saying they're a con or anything. I just think "Tissot, so what?" Hamilton do it for me and Mido have some nice pieces. The generic stylinf the Certina is what draws me to it. Some would say boring, I feel more "classic, no-nonsense diver".

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
He's probably looking at the Certina DS Diver

certina.jpg
ISO Certified, so that's a plus. ETA 2824 movement as well.

The styling doesn't do much for me, but Certina is a reliable brand. My only hesitation would be that Certina's forte doesn't tend to be divers -- unlike some other brands in your price range who make a lot of dive watches.

·
Premium Member
34,711 Posts
I have the DS as shown above and really like the watch. It is very solid but wears very nice on the wrist and the finish of the SS is polished enough to get by as a "dresser" now and then. Good watch for the price. I also have the CW C60 and it too is a very, very, nice dive watch. Probably my favorite go-to watch, so consider that brand as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Certina is carried by only a handful of dealers in the UK. My "usual" dealer in Leeds has just started stocking them alongside Tissot. As others have said, they seem to be at about the same level as Tissot and Hamilton, with more of an emphasis on sporty rather than traditional/dress watches. They don't look anything special in terms of design, although I would consider one on the strength of their relative rarity. I think that Oris are more interesting for not a lot more money, though.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
In Belgium, Certina is a brand with a lot of history behind it. They used to be the more expensive and higher quality mechanical watches that were generally available here together with Pontiac. Tissot was nowhere near Certina in popularity back then. These days, they seem to be a lot smaller then back then. I doe generally like their designs and I'm sure the quality is there. A big jeweler near me stocks these (also Longines, B&M, Tag, Breitling, Hermes, ...) as his "cheapest" brand and I really liked the finish on these. Haven't had the chance to handle the model you're looking at though, since they mostly stock quartz...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts