WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is totally off topic but i know this forum has such a diverse membership ime certain someone will know the answer to my question without me having to join a Champagne forum. I was given a bottle of Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial Champagne for my 50th birthday back in January. Ive heard that some Champagne will keep for years and others wont. So,how long can i keep this one unopened,will power allowing. please remove this off topic post if its way too off topic,lol.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for finding that,Fergie. Dare not crack it open tonight,work tomorrow,but its our 30th anniversary this week so friday or saturday night seems the ideal time. At least its not 19 years old like the one in that link,lol.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Cheers for finding that,Fergie. Dare not crack it open tonight,work tomorrow,but its our 30th anniversary this week so friday or saturday night seems the ideal time. At least its not 19 years old like the one in that link,lol.
Sounds like a good a reason as any :-!

Personally I cannot stand champagne. It hurts my stomach.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Doesn't look you you were given a vintage bottle, so I'd drink it and enjoy it.
But if you need some reading material...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...15751C1A96E948260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=print

http://www.avenuevine.com/archives/002073.html

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Key to this discussion is the fact that champagne does not improve with bottle age. It is unlike still wine where the better bottles can, but may not improve with cellaring.

There is no point in keeping champagne. It begins going downhill as soon as its bottled. Proper storage, however, can maintain it over a long time, but it will not get better. Storage is important for those who discover a great vintage and buy in case quantities to have it on hand for those special occasions.

A votre sante! :-!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your help on this very 'off topic',topic. Seems its better being opened sooner than later. Glad i asked because i may have kept it another 15 years to celebrate my retirement,lol. I will be keping the bottle though,because as you can see from the pic,its a special one.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
I kind of fancy myself.......

an expert on alcoholic beverages. Actually, I'm an expert in smoking and drinking. Anyone that has drank enough to float a battleship, is an expert. All alcohol purchased should be drunk right away. Any tops, caps, stoppers and corks should be removed and thrown away upon opening the bottle. They are for transportation use only.
If someone gives me a bottle, bet your ass it don't last 24hrs.
If you drink enough old alcohol, it will make you sick and it goes
bad quick. If you are not going to drink it right away, I'll e-mail you my addy..........I'll take it off your hands.
jim

PS
I ain't the only expert around here. There are plenty!

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Thanks for all your help on this very 'off topic',topic. Seems its better being opened sooner than later. Glad i asked because i may have kept it another 15 years to celebrate my retirement,lol. I will be keping the bottle though,because as you can see from the pic,its a special one.
You don't look too far away from me...............I'll be there in an hour.............. have my glass ready!!!;-)

·
Registered
165 Posts
evening all,

just got back from work and seen this post, and thought i could help,

i have a WSET level 2 Certificate in fine wines, http://www.wset.co.uk/qualifications/22.asp

ok as to your queston, you can typically store a bottle of champagne for around 3 - 4 years from purchase, but not in the fridge like most people do.

you must treat it like a wine, for long term storage,at around 45 degrees F
the Champagne you have is the Moet non Vintage, it stores well, and have personally drunk a bottle that is 5 years old and has been fine, but i can see no reason as to why you would want to keep it,

in other words,

getit doon yay...in my best scottish accent.

hope this helps

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
Hey Snoot, it ain't for decoration. Crack that baby open and drink it down. If it's your anniversary, then put on some soft music and get the Mrs in the mood. Have fun you crazy kids. :-! - David

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess you all may as well come round. I have a few beers in the fridge,a large bottle of Jagermiester in the freezer,oh and a bottle of Champagne.....you best all bring a few bottles or cans,lol....lets PARTY

·
Moderator Omega Forum
2,731 Posts
Hey snooty, generally for non-vintage, 3 years tops, but I'm with the guys on this one, you can't beat the sound of a popping cork!!!!

Sean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts