WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back I bought a Strapcode Endmill bracelet with the Diver's Chamfer clasp to put on my Turtle. The bracelet is gorgeous and really solidly built, but the clasp feels really bulky compared to everything else. Now I am looking to swap it out for something more sleek like their regular Diver's Push Button Clasp. If anyone has experience swapping out Strapcode clasps, do you know if it would be as easy as removing the old one, and putting on the new one?

My concern is that the current clasp's holes look a lot bigger than the new one's, and the clasp bars will not fit properly.

The current clasp:
wus strapcode divers chamfer.jpg
The new clasp:
wus strapcode divers push button.jpg

EDIT: Sorry for the huge pictures, WUS isn't letting me post links today for whatever reason

·
Premium Member
67,923 Posts
Since you will be fitting a Strapcode clasp to one of their bracelets why not ask them if it will fit correctly and do they have any tips for doing the job?

·
Registered
94 Posts
It is very easy to switch out a Strapcode clasp. You just need a .80 pin tool (or something like it) and the spring bars pop right out. I personally do not like the standard divers clasp. In fact, I have a V clasp arriving Monday to switch out the standard diver on my Super O. The reason I don't like the standard clasp as it has 3 fewer adjustment holes than the larger clasps. My wrist needs that extra adjustment.

·
Registered
194 Posts
As long as you ordered the right size, it's just a matter of popping out the spring bars and then swapping the new clasp in. Super easy!

Edit after re-reading your post - I still have one of their Endmills on one of my two Turtles. I auditioned it against the Hexad, and Super Oyster, and found it to be their nicest offerring at the time (though the new 3D Super Oyster may give it a run for its money). Anyways, it tapers to 18mm at the clasp. That's the clasp size that you need. The new clasp you have pictured, as long as it's 18mm, will fit just fine.

Since you will be fitting a Strapcode clasp to one of their bracelets why not ask them if it will fit correctly and do they have any tips for doing the job?
As for it fitting correctly, even if the clasp "fits" it might not fit well. I find that their straps are over-thick and leave too much of a gap between the bracelet and the clasp even when installed correctly, and even on their own bracelets. But whatever - that's just me airing out my personal grievances. Their older non "MILTAT" branded V-clasps used to be more slim, but it looks they supersized those recently as well which makes me very sad, as similar to the OP, I found that their other milled clasps were way too chunky.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
As long as you ordered the right size, it's just a matter of popping out the spring bars and then swapping the new clasp in. Super easy!

Edit after re-reading your post - I still have one of their Endmills on one of my two Turtles. I auditioned it against the Hexad, and Super Oyster, and found it to be their nicest offerring at the time (though the new 3D Super Oyster may give it a run for its money). Anyways, it tapers to 18mm at the clasp. That's the clasp size that you need. The new clasp you have pictured, as long as it's 18mm, will fit just fine.

As for it fitting correctly, even if the clasp "fits" it might not fit well. I find that their straps are over-thick and leave too much of a gap between the bracelet and the clasp even when installed correctly, and even on their own bracelets. But whatever - that's just me airing out my personal grievances. Their older non "MILTAT" branded V-clasps used to be more slim, but it looks they supersized those recently as well which makes me very sad, as similar to the OP, I found that their other milled clasps were way too chunky.
I guess I should have done more research before posting this question, I recently heard that the Strapcode clasps come with included clasp bars so it should be possible to swap a new 18mm one on. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts