WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day

Since the Seal has been on my wrist not even three weeks yet I have changed the strap so many times I thought I better come up with a safe way to do it. Otherwise I run the risk of scratching the watch more than normal wear and tear should allow. Below I have quite a few step by step photo's of how I do it. It's quite long so I hope I don't bore too many of you but for those that are interested I hope it gives you some help.

The plan is to take the 22mm retro looking strap off the Seal and replace it with the 24mm Pawmarker strap. I will let the pictures do most of the talking but if you need further advice please don't hesitate to send me a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Lets Begin...

A few shots of the Seal with the racing retro strap on.

The tools of the trade.
  1. A rubber mat
  2. A piece of velcro tape
  3. Small piece of rubber grip
  4. Piece of wood with full rubber on one side and two smaller pieces on the underside (you'll see why soon)

Standard tools that came with my Seal. Two screwdrivers and the little attachment tool that makes this whole task of changing straps so easy!

First off lay your watch length ways on the full rubber side of the block.

Then place the small piece of rubber of the watch face. This serves two purposes. It protects the face but also gives the velcro strip something to grip on.

Get your velcro strip and wrap it 'firmly' around the watch and block.

Now you can see why I use two small pieces of rubber mat on the underside. When the velcro is wrapped around it goes in the cavity the two pieces of rubber leave thus when you place it flat on the surface it remains secure and not off balance.

I place the block now on the large rubber mate for added grip.

Now the careful part of removing the screws. This is not hard though because the watch is very secure and won't move at all.

Now grab that fantastic little pin thingy and push the pin out from the straps once you remove the small screw.

here it shows the pin is almost out.

Pawmarkers strap ready to fit.

This is where I think the little pin really helps you out. Screw it to the pin as show and then push it through the strap. When fitting 24mm straps it can be quite difficult and this little attachment thingy really helps a huge amount.

Once it is through just un-screw the small attachment from the pin.

Then just attach the small screw - tighten and you have completed one strap. Just the other side to go.

Same as before. Just carefully undo both screws.

Finished :-!

Well there you have it. That wasn't too long was it :-d

I have to admit though that after trying many types and styles of straps I have to say I prefer basic 'black' for my Ti Seal the more I think about it. I don't care if it's a Nato strap, leather strap or rubber strap. I just think black brings out the best in the face and massive dial of the Seal

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great post; you put some serious time into this. Thank you.
The "pin thingy" really is amazing. I has made strap changing quick & painless. A true unsung hero of the Kobold line up.

scott
pittsburgh

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Should be under a 'classic post' threat!
Thanks for illustrating you techniques:-!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Great Post. I love projects and I just found my next one.

FYI, for those of you lacking a "pin thingy" and might be interested in fishing, I have found that 80 lb mono works great for pushing screws and pins out, and for lining up a strap.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mark - I have to ask... where did you get those straps?? Really like the brown leather one that you switched to in your photo (and the black one looks cool too)... I have my Seal on the calfskin strap (the bracelet was insanely heavy), but really like the distressed leather look a bit more...

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Chris,

The link to the Pawmarker collection is at:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/35339...ge/1180938278/

As far as I know the one I have that I posted is the the one at the very start of the page when you go the link. If you scroll down it is the.

9) Model number PM-HM-201M / (PM-HM-201X)
- Distressed hammered brown
- $59 now (original price $88)

It may look a little different but I think that is only due to the lighting when the photo was taken. They are really helpful so why not e-mail them with the photos I posted. I am sure they will work it out for you. Another forum member just bought some from Pawmarker in 22mm size. This is good news as I thought they only sold 24mm size. I think the 22mm size is better for the Seal. The 22mm strap brings out the huge size of the Seal face unlike a 24mm strap which seems to lesson the effect of the large face. Anyway that''s my opinion so I think I will stick with 22mm for most of the time.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I am going to sticky this if you don't mind.

Warren

'If I don't mind" I am thrilled you are turning this into a 'sticky' I really hope it helps people change their straps in a safe easy way.

Made my day buddy :-!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mark - This is by far the best strap changing method I have seen. If only I had thought of that a few months ago, I wouldn't have as many hair-line scratches on my SOA lugs! Oh well, hopefully those days are over, thanks to you. :-!

Now I just have to rummage around the garage for parts to make the kit...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Heya Mark,

That's a pretty entertaining post. Can't say I've ever needed such a contraption when I'm changing straps, but it clearly works like a charm--that baby is strapped down and going nowhere!

Cheers,
Daniel

·
Registered
230 Posts
I echo my sentiment from 2 months ago that this is a great post. I rummaged around the house and came up with everything I needed to make my own kit...albeit slightly more ghetto-looking than Mark's! I also added a foam pad under the case for changes involving bracelets. The process has been working wonderfully, and I think the extra planning actually saves time. Thanks again, Mark!

Here are a few pics of my SOA strapped in for a bracelet-to-calfskin change:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your method is definitely well thought out. I have struggled with band changes, particularly with my reliance on bifocals!!!! Anyway, my Seal never came with the changing apparatus. I am going to let Dan know that this instrument should be included with all watches. I prefer a 24mm band as well. It looks like you were able to squeeze the band in without any trimming.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
There had been a few postings about changing straps in here lately and i surely remember my first attempts at tackling my straps on the Kobold (and the scratches I still have to prove it).

Over Thanksgiving Dad and I built three of these and held off on giving Hilltopper his for Christmas so I couldn't post before. (thanks for keeping quiet Kev) Here are a few shots of my interpretations of the sticky thread. Pretty much the same as originally suggested, but I added a worklight. What can i say, I have a thing for lights. The light is actually quite functional though and can be picked up at Lowe's if you want to add one to your block.

I might do a somewhat fancier one when time allows if anyone is interested maybe I can make a few and we can share the costs? Nicer piece of wood, stained, etc...

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brillient, Brillient, Brillient!!!

I must say I am quite chuffed that you thought my idea was good enough to give a try not once but '3' times. Love the light idea. I may have to add that. I must say I continually change straps on my Seal daily/weekly and my strap changing gizmo makes it happen it about 120 seconds with no fuss at all.

All I can say is we should go into business together:-!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts