WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can it be done? I have a couple of watch straps that would look better with my watches if they were a darker blue than they are now. Can they be redyed? I asked a local shoe repair shop and they didn't want to do it as they thought the dye would run in hot weather.

·
Registered
994 Posts
It can be done, but there are some unknowns to deal with. Are you willing to risk ruining the strap if the re-dye fails? If it was made from veg tanned leather than yes it can be probably done. You will need some Fiebings leather deglazer, and Fiebings leather dye. After its dyed you will need to re-top coat it. Fiebings top coat buffs out semi-glossy, resolone comes outs a little shinier. Finish off with some neutral kiwi shoe polish and you should be good.

The risk in this is not knowing what kind of leather it is to begin with and the possibility that the original dye isn't compatible with what you use, resulting in the loss of the strap.

If you do it, make to let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the good information. I just may give this a try. I thought the top layer would need to come off but I did not know what was needed to remove it. I think I'll send for some of the Fiebings deglazer and dye and see what happens. If shoes can be redyed then it would seem this is feasible. I've got an old one to experiment on and then if it works I'll try a newer strap. I'm willing to take the risk of it being ruined.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts