WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Burberry watch, and the manual said "Do not change the date between 10pm and 2am. This is when the movement is in position to carry out the automatic date change, any interference may cause damage to the movement." I know you are going to ask which movement is in my Burberry The City BU9382, but my question is more related to every other watch in the world, and is "is that caveat about not changing the date when the hand(s) are in some arc of the dial a general concern?"
I now do that with all my watches out of paranoia, and I'm wondering if I should, because really what is easier is to set the time to 11:59, change the date to the day prior, and then advance the hands to get in the right time of day (roll over the date).

·
Registered
36,280 Posts
Many movements can be damaged, read your watches manual, or download the pdf online.

Best to set the watch for 6 o'clock to be sure it is nowhere near midnight before changing the date.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
.....but my question is more related to every other watch in the world, and is "is that caveat about not changing the date when the hand(s) are in some arc of the dial a general concern?"
I don't know about every other watch in the world, but I know that my Rolex has no restrictions on when it can be changed.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I don't know about every other watch in the world, but I know that my Rolex has no restrictions on when it can be changed.
This is an comedic example of a fatuous comment made by a typical Rolex owner.
Obviously it was made in jest because you are a new poster and we wanted to make you feel welcome by offering a WUS "in joke".

·
Registered
30,562 Posts
Don't do it. Your watch will destroy itself, birds will fall from the sky and humanity will cease to exist. Research has shown that it's safer to inject yourself with an HIV needle than it is to change the date between said times.

·
Registered
36,280 Posts
Obviously it was made in jest because you are a new poster and we wanted to make you feel welcome by offering a WUS "in joke".
This one of the issues with posting on the Public forum, having to deal with the smug and fatuous comments.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I always set the time to 6 o'clock prior to changing the date as a form of habit now just to cover all bases. However on those rare occasions I'll forget and just change the date, which causes me to get a sick feeling in my stomach and think, "Did I just break my watch?".

Reactions: trf2271

·
Premium Member
9,166 Posts
You reminded me...meant to post this.

5 Unexpected Ways You Might Damage A Mechanical Watch | Quill & Pad

#1 is...changing the date at the 'wrong time'.

The point they make: the date change might be instantaneous...but there can be multiple gears involved, and some of them can start engaging some hours in advance. Not surprisingly, they don't completely disengage until a few hours after the changeover. Changing the date can be an issue when these gears are not completely disengaged.

No, it's not a joke, and there is some chance you'll cause problems that require service.

Reactions: Wolfsatz

·
Registered
792 Posts

I could be wrong (it happens more frequently than I'd like) but I see it as neither comedic nor fatuous. Rolex uses a cam and lever mechanism to change the date. When the main wheel reaches midnight a cam rolls into a slot releasing a lever that moves the date wheel forward one position. No gears are engaged prior to this action the way I understand it. Credit for this information goes to Larry (tools) on the Rolex Forum. By the by, what exactly is a "typical Rolex owner"????

Mark

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
No, this is a fact.

It is one well known movement that does NOT have issues with date change mechanism. Of course, I happen to have Exp II, so it is something I can NOT even show off.. :)

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I could be wrong (it happens more frequently than I'd like) but I see it as neither comedic nor fatuous. Rolex uses a cam and lever mechanism to change the date. When the main wheel reaches midnight a cam rolls into a slot releasing a lever that moves the date wheel forward one position. No gears are engaged prior to this action the way I understand it. Credit for this information goes to Larry (tools) on the Rolex Forum. By the by, what exactly is a "typical Rolex owner"????

Mark
I certainly don't think I was being fatuous. I answered the OP's specific question by giving an example of a watch that does not have his problem - now he knows that not every watch in the world has this issue.

As for being comedic, my reference to 'every other watch in the world' was in the same manner as the OP's use of those same words.

As for smugness, yeah, maybe a bit.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I certainly don't think I was being fatuous. I answered the OP's specific question by giving an example of a watch that does not have his problem - now he knows that not every watch in the world has this issue.

As for being comedic, my reference to 'every other watch in the world' was in the same manner as the OP's use of those same words.

As for smugness, yeah, maybe a bit.
You do realize I was agreeing with you, right?

Mark

·
Registered
792 Posts
This thread is veering off topic, someone must have changed the date at the wrong time on their watch!

I don't think it's veering off topic at all. The right answer is "it depends on the movement in your watch". They're not all the same.

Mark

·
Premium Member
21,781 Posts
In general, this is an issue for watches with quickset dates... unless you have a Rolex.

·
Premium Member
39,686 Posts
I now do that with all my watches out of paranoia, and I'm wondering if I should, because really what is easier is to set the time to 11:59, change the date to the day prior, and then advance the hands to get in the right time of day (roll over the date).
You know what's just as easy?

Setting the time to 9pm, change the date to the prior day, and then advance the hands to the right time of day (roll over the date).

It's only a very minor difference to what you're doing, and just as easy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts