WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 5. It is my first automatic watch and not knowing any better I changed the date at 12.30am. Only later I discovered that I shouldn't do it between 10pm and 2am. How bad was this for the watch?

·
Moderator at Large
54,067 Posts
Here 's what Omega said in a manual

"The mechanism that is responsible for incrementing the date (wheel) does so by gradually accumulating (or building up) tension. At 12am, the accumulated tension is released and quickly applied to rotating the date wheel, hence the instant flip"

So at a given time, 8:00 or 9:00pm, the date change geartrain engages the main geartrain. If you try to change the date with the two meshed up bad things may happen to all those tiny gears. I assume youmwatchnis still running, so watch the next date change. If the date does not change you got a problem.

·
Registered
19,672 Posts
You will be fine, but don't repeat the experience ;)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Long ago a fellow that knew much more about automatics than I ever would told me to change the date between 7 a.m and 12 noon.
This way the date will continue to change at midnight. If I would change the date at, let's say 2 p.m. which of course is after noon that starts a new 24 hour cycle and then the date would change over at noon and not midnight the next day.
My friend never explained what would happen inside the movement if I would change the date outside that window of 7 A.M to 12 noon.

When I pick up an auto in the afternoon and want to set the date from a non running watch, well, that's a different kind of animal.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
If everything is working alright you're probably good. It really depends on the specific movement however. Some instruction manuals strictly warn against it, while a few watches that I've had (specifically a deep blue 9015) stated that a date change between the "deadly consequence hours" will only result in the date not changing on the following day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,487 Posts
Yes, if it works then there is no damage. One way to be sure is to cycle the watch through a complete date changeover using the crown.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Long ago a fellow that knew much more about automatics than I ever would told me to change the date between 7 a.m and 12 noon.
This way the date will continue to change at midnight. If I would change the date at, let's say 2 p.m. which of course is after noon that starts a new 24 hour cycle and then the date would change over at noon and not midnight the next day.
My friend never explained what would happen inside the movement if I would change the date outside that window of 7 A.M to 12 noon.

When I pick up an auto in the afternoon and want to set the date from a non running watch, well, that's a different kind of animal.
I’ve always thought the hands drive the 24hr cycle irrespective of date changing. You’re implying that if I change the date at 2pm (a running watch of course), that at midnight the date won’t change.
Hmm, I doubt I'll ever find myself changing the date in the afternoon, but maybe I'll try it and see if you friend is right.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I’ve always thought the hands drive the 24hr cycle irrespective of date changing. You’re implying that if I change the date at 2pm (a running watch of course), that at midnight the date won’t change.
Hmm, I doubt I'll ever find myself changing the date in the afternoon, but maybe I'll try it and see if you friend is right.
His friend is partially right, some do and some don't and that's based on the movement.

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
You either did or didn't cause damage. You'll know if you did.

Best practice in future -- advance hands to 6, set date to one before current, advance hands to flip date to current then on to correct time. Wear and enjoy.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I just got a Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 5. It is my first automatic watch and not knowing any better I changed the date at 12.30am. Only later I discovered that I shouldn't do it between 10pm and 2am. How bad was this for the watch?
Welcome Alex...This is why you should always read the manual b/4 playing with things....This is the very first thing you learn in
Bomb Disposal School......You are, as others have said, probably OK. You'll know for sure tomorrow.....:-! Good luck.

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
i get a kick out of people telling him to wait 'til tomorrow.... LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
i get a kick out of people telling him to wait 'til tomorrow.... LOL!!!!!
Patience is a virtue.....;-)
Today, you can not see, that which will be clear tomorrow...:think:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but I recently bought a Marathon automatic and brought it into to a watch repair guy to get the steel bracelet fitted.

He asked me after if I wanted him to show me how to set the watch. He set the time and showed me how to wind the crown forward to see if it was am or pm.

When I left the shop I noticed the date was between 20 and 21 but didn’t think anything of it. The next day I woke up and somehow the date was showing the 24th.

I’ve been monitoring it a few days since then and haven’t seen anything unusual. The date is always a specific date in the window, it changes cleanly around midnight when winding the time forward, the quick change moves the date forward with no issues, and the date changes as expected overnight.

I’m a little paranoid that this watch repair guy may have improperly used the quick date change with the time in the danger zone causing the between dates issue with the jumping ahead 2 dates overnight, but gave no proof. He said he first advanced the hands to see where midnight was before adjusting the date, but I didn’t see this.

Perhaps I’m paranoid but the watch is brand new and I can still try to send it back if there may be a defect or some damage caused either by him or someone who improperly wound it at the original sellers.

What I’ve been trying to figure out from this and similar threads is if there could be damage that won’t be evident immediately.

I also set the date for the 20th again to confirm it would change as expected overnight and it did (in case the fears were damaged in just that date).

Thanks everyone!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts