WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all my watches in a clear top watch case...the case doesn't get much light since it sits in my dark bedroom....how much time should I put my watches out in the sun/indoor light each week? I've read that sunlight is much more efficient for charging than alt. light.....:think:
sj

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
depends where you live i guess, and also different watches vary.. eg: my GW-500 has never gone lower than full since ive charged it, where as my GW-206k Frog has never been above level 2/medium. i'd say a couple of hours sunlight a week should do it, although you might want to set PS/Sleep
to on..

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I have all my watches in a clear top watch case...the case doesn't get much light since it sits in my dark bedroom....how much time should I put my watches out in the sun/indoor light each week? I've read that sunlight is much more efficient for charging than alt. light.....:think:
sj
Daylight charges the solar cells more efficiently than artificial light.

I would simply leave them until the charge indicator drops. I keep mine in a dark box, and let them go into 'sleep' mode. I turn off atomic reception for those that have it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi,

I put them out in the morning sun every saturday for about 10-15 mins. During the week they are indoors in a plastic watch case with 'clear' lid. They all seem to keep their charge.

Pieter

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm worrying about overcharge problem more.
There was a time when rechargeable batteries were not so widely used and they blow up or leak if overloaded. :oops:
Now they don't happen so often but occasionally you still hear some.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I'm worrying about overcharge problem more.
I don't think there is such a problem with G-Shocks. Overheating them by extended exposure to strong sunlight might be a problem.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I usually set my solars in front of window with my potted plants in the morning, so they get a few hours of indirect
sunlight.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
One other thing occurs to me - if solar-powered watches need mollycoddling, then they're not worth it. I expect a G-Shock to be 'ever-ready', so treat them that way. So far, they have responded to this regime without complaint.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
One other thing occurs to me - if solar-powered watches need mollycoddling, then they're not worth it. I expect a G-Shock to be 'ever-ready', so treat them that way. So far, they have responded to this regime without complaint.
:-! you hit the nail just right on the head

regards, holger

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
True, and I think they generally work that way, but noobs who get a watch that's stuck on 'medium' probably aren't sure how to get it up to 'high' effectively.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't know the "official" charge times for a G-Shock but Eco-Drives get a 6 month run time charge (full charge) with about 5 minutes of full sun. Sometimes they take a few minutes more (less than 30) of full sun to reach full if they've been very low for a long time.

Seems leaving in the "sun" or by a window for hours is WAY overkill even if the Casios are way worse than Citizen for charging.... Sunlight is 50-100 times brighter than typical indoor lighting.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
The total charge time for G-Shocks is about 18 - 50 hours of bright, direct sunshine to reach a full charge. 5 - 6 minutes of bright sunshine a day is enough to maintain the charge. A full charge lasts from 5 to 11 months of 'normal' use. It varies from module to module.

http://world.casio.com/wat/support/en/faq/toughsolar/battery/#2422

For Eco-Drive's it varies between 3.5 and 22 hours of bright, direct sunlight to reach a full charge, depending on the movement number.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/CUK/English/rechargeguide.asp

NB: Casio's idea of direct bright sunlight is 50,000 lux and Citizen's is 100,000 lux.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for getting the "real" numbers.... I was working from memory... (My bad!)

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Thanks for getting the "real" numbers.... I was working from memory... (My bad!)
When I first read about Eco-Drives and solar G's, it was the "only requires 5 minutes direct sunlight...." that stuck in my mind, so I can see where you were coming from. ;-)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I recently purchased an MTG-900 which was charged to "medium". Since Indiana doesn't get much sunlight this time of year, I set the watch under a fluorescent desk lamp with the watch face about a half-inch below the fluorescent tubes.

After about 6 hours, the battery charge went to "high". Just to make sure, I left the watch under the light for another 100 hours or so. That was two weeks ago and the charge is still sitting on "high".

Right now, the watch is sitting in a window on a cold, gray, snowy day. :)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
"One other thing occurs to me - if solar-powered watches need mollycoddling, then they're not worth it."

If you collect a whole bunch of solars then that can be a problem. Most people buy one or two watches total and wear them enough to keep them charged. Personally, I don't like collecting solars. I just have a few.

I think Sj29 is way to worried. I keep mine in a dark fire resistant safe and occasionally check them every three months. If they're down a bar they sit 3 inches away from a compact florescent "bulb" for about 24 hours. That usually gets them full. If your solars are just sitting there quietly telling time and not beeping, glowing, or receiving the atomic time signal they're not pulling much power and a small amount of light may be all they need. Just occasionally check the charge indicator.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I've had solar watches for a number of years now (starting with Citizen Eco Drives). I've thrown the Citizens in a drawer for months at a time and they came out just fine. The Casios have always been fine too, until the other night when my G-5600 refused to light up in the middle of the night. I was expecting to see the dreaded error, but never did so I guess the power level had just gone to medium. It had been on a table for some time with only ambient light.

That's the first "problem" I've had, and the watch seems to be fine now. It did piss me off enough to get me to start wearing one of my Seikos (which has enough lume to easily read it all night without having to push a button and waste batteries). :-d I wear a watch 24/7 (because I'm weird) and really prefer a highly lumed analog watch at night. No fumbling around for a button that way.
Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
"I wear a watch 24/7 (because I'm weird)..."

Thanks a lot. I also wear a watch 24/7. As if I didn't feel weird enough keeping my plastic Gs in a fire resistant safe. :-d

·
Registered
289 Posts
That makes three of us 24/7 weirdos... I rarely take it off in fact.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts